Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #1

Question New here, Difference s between 4 season and ducted heat, besides the obvious?

Hello all,
I'm new at this purchasing used Travel trailer stuff. But we are in the northeast, (New York). Which is already getting chilly here, and here is my dilemma.

Besides the obvious clues, the ad says 4 season trailer. But I read, ducted heat, central air. No mention of 4 season. Do I assume that it's a 4 season? What are noticeable differences? Or smart choices.

I get making sure tanks stay warm etc.

Just trying to learn all I can before I ask a really stupid question while trying to purchase a trailer.

Hope this makes sense, and doesn't sound to ridiculous.

Once we get what we want I will be posting and asking questions and sharing stories I am sure, however until then I am on the hunt for a descent priced nice looking with what we want, used travel trailer.

Anyone have a suggestions as to Models etc. feel free to let me know.

thanks again.

Ginny
ShineGinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
i believe is what there saying by 4 season is it has heat ( winter fall) ac ( summer ) spring time i dont think you would use any of the heat or ac also i would assume the insulation ( r rating ) is up there to hold the heat and cold in.
Think of it like a 3 season room in your house ( cold in the winter ) then a 4 saeson room will hold the heat better so you can use the room all 4 seasons.
hope this helps some
Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A 4-season RV will typically be better insulated, heated basement and dual pane windows. In 5th wheels, manufacturers would be DRV (Mobile/Elite Suiet), Carriage, New Horizon, Teton, Nuwa, Excel, etc. There are a number of mid-line RVs claiming to be 4-season by adding afoil thermal barrier. Or the ones above, Carriage,Teton and Nuwa are out of business..

The economy has been rough on the high end manufacturers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think what you are doing is very wise. Impossible to dot all the I's and cross the T's but only you can ask the right questions and if the answer is what you want to hear get it in writting. Many, if not most , of the sales people are not well aquainted with their products and will tell you what you want to hear.
I also feel the members here are a wealth of info and will give you honest opinions even though we often differ.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #5

Very few trailers are true 4 season. When ordered for 4 season they become expensive. One such trailer is the Dutchmen Denali. It can be ordered with extra insultion, heated holding tanks with electric heating pads and dual pane windows.

Ducted heat is common in trailers. Ducted AC is also common. Ducted heat or AC really does not help much in trailer that is not insulated well.

Not to many people in the north camp in the winter. All state parks are closed and so are most RV Parks. There is no good way to keep the water lines from freezing.

Are you planning to live full-time in the trailer you buy?

If not - any 3 season trailer can keep you warm or cool for 3 seasons in the north.

I would not want to spend a summer in Texas in my trailer nor a winter in New York.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #6

Just to clarify, there is no "industry standard" four season trailer. It's all up to the manufacturer. Call them to find out for sure.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #7

Just as a point of information, my Winnebago 2201DS has an enclosed undercarriage, but they didn't put a heat vent to the area around the tanks. I wouldn't consider my unit a 4 season trailer anyway, but I can't understand why Winnebago didn't install a heat vent to the underbelly to help prevent any freezing of the tanks when used in very cold spring/fall weather conditions.

If you really want a unit for winter use, you need to know the insullation numbers for the roof sidewalls and whether underbelly is heated and insulated
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

I have a Keystone Alpine 3600RS that has R37 insulation rating. Here in NC i camp every Dec and January for birthday trips. I have found that the roof heat pump keeps unit cozy down to about 28 degrees, when you have to switch to the propane furnace. The front cargo area and holding tank area are ducted and enclosed with the rest of the insides.. I can see living in my unit in our climate, but I think it would be tough in a northern climate. The biggest challenge would be keeping the water lines from freezing up over night.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #9

As tuffr2 pointed out, a four seasons unit is going to have extra insulation, double paned windows, and most importantly heater strips on tanks and lines.
The much more common heated enclosed underbelly will work if you are caught in a freeze, but is not intended for long term stays. You have to run the propane heater to realize any benefit from that system. In my opinion, the enclosed heated underbelly does more to keep the floor warmer, thereby making the interior seem not as chilly when it is cold outside, but not freezing.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #10

Hi there, we searched for a while to find a good insulated travel trailer as well due to living in the North and found some good ones by Arctic Fox and Outdoors RV (both owned by same parent company). We looked for a lot of the things the others mentioned: thermal pane windows, insulated and heated under belly, good furnace, thicker walls, plus we have a fresh water tank heater. Another consideration for us was roof trusses for snow load during storage. We wound up with a Wind River by Outdoors RV. They call them 4 season, but I wouldn't push them much past -10 or so, so for us that stops the camping season in October!
Northerners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #11

I generally get a trip to South Carolina in around November, so that is the end of camping season for me.
My camping time is limited by the number of vacation days I can accrue in a year, more than anything else. After all, the camper has wheels under it for a reason!