Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #1

My name is Lawrence. I bought a travel trailer Sierra ?? from Massachusetts when I hit my 10 yr mark in the military and when I had to move to Germany I had to sell it. I have been retired from the army now for 13 yrs. I am looking to buy a new one in the next few weeks and interested in what the best constructed, travel trailer not the 5th wheel with the best warranty service today. I know that is an opinion so looking for solid info.

We live in Oklahoma now and have a small business selling Bengal and Egyptian Mau cats and want to go to more cat shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My 6 pack.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	82984  
lwybrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

Glad to have join us here, and I'm sure some of the travel trailer owners will be along with their opinions, in short order.
Good luck in your search.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #4

We bought our Jayco at the Dallas RV show last year and the main reason was that we got a 5 year manufacturers warranty (bumper to bumper) that they were offering only at the show only for the Jayco brand. So that played a large part in our decision making. Just FYI, but look around and you will find what meets your needs. We've been real happy with the Jayco thus far.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

Glad to see yall
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #6

KZ brand

We found a possible fit a KZ spree travel trailer.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #7

Winnebago towables, KZ, Airstream, Arctic Fox.
It really depends more on what you want to spend and what features you want/need.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
If that's your brood in the picture... you need a bunk-house model. I've been OK with the brand I bought, but know others that have Forest River products that are cussin' them. It only had a 1-year warranty, which is WAY too short. I am looking at a trailer made by Grand Design, called Reflection. The quality initially looked good, but I haven't looked really close, yet.

Welcome back to RVing and to IRV2...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #9

If you plan to use it all year and will be using it in winter weather (as in really cold!!!), then you need a true 4 seasons trailer. If that is what you need, your choices will be more limited. Arctic Fox/Nash trailers get very high ratings. Lance is also making 4 season trailers.

If you don' t need a 4 season trailer, then I'll put a plug in for Winnebago Minnie travel trailers. We're quite happy with ours, and after looking at lots of trailers, we felt Winnebago is making a higher quality product. Jayco has a good reputation and I would have seriously considered a Jayco trailer, but the Minnie 2201DS really has the features and storage space we need for longer trips.

I suggest you just start looking at a lot of trailers by different manufacturers and compare them for construction techniques, fit & finish, warranty, etc. I've found that a lot of the less expensive trailers have some pretty shoddy construction i.e. floors that flex, cheaper grade cabinet construction, etc.

If I were looking for a 4 season trailer, Arctic Fox trailers would be at the top of my list. But, they are heavier and you have to be careful with what model you purchase if towing with a 1/2 ton truck. Tow with a 3/4 ton truck and you have a lot more options.

For what it is worth...in my opinion...if towing with a 1/2 ton truck, keep the total weight of the trailer down to 7K or less. Obviously, different models have different towing capacities. My truck could technically tow around 10K, but I towed my older Sunline (8K loaded) with my Tundra just a few times. It could handle it, but I think it would really add a lot of wear & tear if done on a regular basis. I had previously towed the Sunline with a 3/4 ton Dodge dually (V10 gas engine) and the difference was very obvious. Please....just my opinion....let's not turn this into another debate on towing capacities of 1/2 ton trucks, as the OP is asking about trailers. I only brought the subject up as the OP hasn't said what their tow vehicle will be and it should be a consideration when picking a travel trailer.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #10

The brood is my grandkids, my daughter is a good photographer and she set up the picture. We went with kz spree camper it has the aluminum frame, we added a 2nd air conditioner and television, air max vents, mud dobber vent guards and we had them construct a propane connection to quick connect a turkey fryer ten ft away from the camper. So far the length has been a challenge we are building a shelter next to the house so I have been building a level pad with the tractor for the site, and then I will cover it with gravel.

Tags