Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Outdoors RV Owners Club
New member and towing issues

We have just purchased an Outdoors RV Creekside model 23RKS and we are pulling it with a 2014 Dodge Ram. The issue is trailer sway in a moderate wind (15-20mph). I have a new Pro Series weight dist. Hitch with friction sway control. It is set pretty tight right now with just a little room left on the adjustment bolt. The Pro Series web site recommends two sway bars for trailers over 6000# and 26ft. Any suggestions?

motcrew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
I'm assuming you are talking about a side wind. Do you have everything set correctly? Is this only happening on the freeway? At what speed are you driving? You could try another sway bar and maybe someone else has a better answer. I never encountered an issue when I had my TT.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Also check your hitch weight. As you load up the trailer and tighten up the weight distributing hitch, you are shifting weight off the ball and to the axles. A little more weight on the ball may help.
And try to keep it below 65mph.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Take a good look at the tire cap and pressure. Years ago I had an 18' TT that I couldn't tow over 40 or it was all over the road. I went from 14" 4 ply tires to 15" 6 ply LT tires. I could tow at any speed I wanted and no sway. Also make sure you have enough tongue weight (10/12%). You may be loaded heavy in the back.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
First off great looking TT.

As far as sway issue what dodge truck are you using 1500 or 2500.

Also sounds like the weight distribution hitch may be set up wrong.

Maybe take a pic with the truck all hooked up so ppl can see what it all looks like.

I am using a friction sway control on my set up also. But I am only 20ft long and did not have a sway issue at the beginning but it did still help out.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
You have a rear kitchen TT. If you're loading the rear with food and other stuff, you may have too light of a tongue weight. According to the Outdoor RV site the tongue weight is apr 10% from the factory. Kitchens take a lot of stuff for camping. If you're not loading much in the front of the TT, then you may be under 10% for tongue weight.
Couple things to check.
Make sure all tires are at max PSI according to sidewall.
Make sure the TT is level and not nose high. slightly nose down is fine.
Weigh the TT, you need 10-15% for tongue weight. 12% being optimal.
You may have to load more stuff in the front of the TT to get the tongue weight right.
Measure your trucks front fender from the ground up before hitching up. After hitching up it should be close to the number. If your WD is not transferring enough weight back to the front of the truck, that can also be part of the problem.
If those things don't help you may need a quality WD hitch with built in sway like an EQ or Reese DC.
If all of the above won't help, then you need a 1 ton dually
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Cumminsfan mentioned...make sure yout rear tire pressure is at the maximum stated on the sidewall. That can really make a difference.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
I find and have done so myself is that most people will try to get the torsion bars too tight when they first start using them. Too tight and you will lift weight off the tonque and the back axle of the truck. The rig gets really unstable. Try to keep more weight on the tongue. Try a test pull without the torsion and sway control. I pull our 24 foot Salem to and from storage to the house just on the ball and it rides not too bad. Off course I have everything hooked up when we hit the road for our trip. I have also had a 31 foot trailer in the past. Never needed more than one sway bar.
2013 Salem Cruise Lite 221RBxl
06 GMC
CanadianCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #9
The best thing you can do is go to a scale and find out exactly what your weights are including the amounts transferred by the WDH. Takes 3 passes - one with just truck, one with truck + TT with WDH bars disconnected and one with bars connected. You can find the actual tongue weight and the amount transferred to the steer axle, drive axle (on truck) and the trailer axles. You should have 10-15% of the trailer weight to be on the tongue. With the spring bars on the WDH adjusted properly, you'll end up with approx. 25% on steer axles, 50% on the drive axle and 25% on the trailer axles.

By going to a scale, you'll also be able to determine your actual truck's payload capacity by subtracting the actual weight from the GVWR on the door jamb sticker. Often much different than the max. payload on the sticker. Good info. to know so you don't overload the truck from too much cargo, passengers, tongue wt., etc.

Don't go by dry tongue or total trailer weights listed by the manufacturer for setting up anything. Do you have the correct spring bar rating for the actual tongue weight? Have you adjusted the WDH by measuring the before and after heights of the truck fenders? Is the trailer sitting fairly level after hooking up? Tires all pumped up to correct psi?

If you've got sway problems at only 15-20 mph, you sure want to get that remedied PDQ before you have an incident. Sounds like too light tongue weight and/or improperly set up weight transfer both of which should be an easy fix.
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
I may be wrong, but I thought he meant a 15-20 mph wind speed and not his TV\TT speed.
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Outdoors RV Owners Club
to all who answered my post, I want to thank you. All good advice. I have done all that is mentioned and moved more weight to the tongue. I dropped the spring bars by one link on the chain and it made quite a bit of difference. The sway is almost all gone. The hitch dealer's recommendation of chain links and set up was way off. Guess trial and error are still the best ways going. Thanks again to all for the great advice...

motcrew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In order to properly set up a hitch, you need to have the trailer loaded for normal travel, tires aired correctly and truck and trailer level when hitched.

The set up by the dealer is with a unloaded trailer and probably not right. You need to get a tongue weight and set up the hitch per the manufacturers recommendation.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
I've kept this post bookmarked for several years because it is the best tutorial I've seen on how to properly set-up a weight-distributing hitch. Hope you find it useful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
I tow a 21 foot travel trailer with a 2010 Toyota Tundra with no problems. However, I do follow a different procedure where I measure the distance between the ground and the fender well of my rear tire. I then connect my travel trailer and sway control system. After which, I re-measure the distance between the ground and the fender of the rear tire.

I know the sway control is connected correctly if the difference in measurement is one inch or less. However, if the distance is more than an inch I will add another chain link to sway control until I fall within the one inch difference on the fender well.

I believe the dealership taught me this message.

NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote

new member, towing