Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-29-2015, 05:20 AM   #15
Welcome to the forum!

A couple of points to consider: Re the Trailmanor, you also have a smaller refrigerator. Standard refrigerators in travel trailers aren't all that big to begin with, and the half size units in a Trailmanor are really limiting.

If you plan on doing any longer trips when you retire, you have to consider storage space of any trailer you consider. Some folks can travel very light, others need more stuff if they are going to be gone for more than a few days. So, you have to figure out what will work for you. I've seen some retired folks traveling for extended trips in rigs smaller than ours, but the majority tend to have bigger rigs.

Since you are just getting started, I would also suggest buying something used that will meet the weight limits of your vehicle. Do some camping and traveling and over a couple of years, you'll learn what you need and like. Then, you may find yourself upgrading to a TV that can tow a bigger travel trailer.

We're happy with our rig...1/2 ton pick-up and 26'9" trailer that we can live in comfortably for 2-3 months. We'll be headed out on a 6 week trip (Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glaciar National Parks) after Memorial Day, and we're just fininishing a 2 1/2 week trip where we took a break from the cold Ohio weather in Florida. Next year, we're looking at booking two months in Florida and take another 2-4 weeks in travel time to Florida and back home.

Once you have a full height travel trailer, gas mileage is going to suffer. We average between 9 to 9.5 mpg. The way I look at it....if you are going to go any long distances, you might as well make it for quite a bit of time as the fuel costs can be larger than your camping costs. So, we just plan our budget accordingly. But we love seeing new places....just discovered St. Marys, GA and Cumberland Island on our way home!

Good luck on your shopping, and I hope you're on the road and enjoying soon!!

Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #16
Thanks for the tip it helps!

bigjoey38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #17
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, from another moho'er in Colorado!

You can follow us to Tucson every winter, too.

Bruce and Judy
Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
Hey Joe, welcome to the site. I am from the Denver area and have a 22 ft TT pulled by a 2010 F150. Let me know if I can help...

slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:57 PM   #19
Thanks everyone
Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #20
Thanks shoot me an e mail
Old 04-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #21

i would strongly recommend if you can find something local or a reasonable

drive and spend some time in it. how long could you stay inside if you have

bad weather. there's a lot to consider, definitely take your time.

sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #22
It still gets cold in most of Florida and Arizona as well as S. Texas. Now using the word 'Cold' may be too strong but darn it 'Chilly' is not stong enough...

Usually the day time temps are ok but night time (and winter has a lot of night time) temps get semi-cold. You can not escape all the cold weather unless on a boat in the Caribbean.

Night time temps in the winter in these areas will get down into the upper 30's and low 40's. In January and early Feburary you will get cold spells that dip down below freezing for a few hours on ocassion. A Trail Manor will be very difficult to heat as there small gaps and no insulation in the cloth seam of the top and bottom shell. And no insulation in it's shell.

In Colorado you should be about to find a small much better insulated trailer. Do not discount the need for a insulated dwelling. You might start thinking about getting a larger tow vehicle when you retire to tow a well insulated small trailer as it's weight will edge up to around 5,000 or 5,500lbs or more.

Next winter chart the temps for Quartzite Arizona, Mesa Arizona, Orlando Florida (as that is as far south that I can afford) $600/mo. South Florida will be $1000/mo. And Corpus Christi Texas. You will see each area will get 6 weeks of very chilly night time temps.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

colorado, new member