Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #1

New Member! My First TT!

Greetings all! New to this forum and glad to be a member! Just put our order in for a 2016 Forest River Vibe 308BHS loaded (33' living and 35' hitch to bumper). Should be finished being built on July 6th and at my house about a week later. Ordered from Couch RV Nation. So far, Im very impressed with their pricing, customer service and hospitality. Its a bunk House floor plan with 2 slides.

I've been told by so many people not to get the extended warranty, but I opted for it anyways just for the peace of mind. It was an additional $1650 with a $100 ded. I can still opt out of it if I choose. Anyone have an opinion on them?

Here is the same unit we purchase
http://www.camperclinic.com/New-Inve...t-Texas-980490

I'm making my checklist of items we need, such as a 4400watt generator, Viair compressor, blocks, hoses, extention cords, black water hose, ladder, grey and black water tablets, tool kits, batteries, lights, small parts (fuses, connectors, relays, screws, fasteners) colenite fleet wax (made for yachts so should be great on rvs) leveling kit, tire covers and chocks, 2 32" tv's, surge protector and power conditioner.

I'm told it has a TPU Rubber roof and should hold up very well in the South Texas Sun and heat (100+ degrees 8 months out of the year).

I've also heard some really crazy stories about why you shouldn't use a tarp to protect your rv while in an uncovered storage. Do those concerns still apply to my roof? I was thinking of covering the coach with an 8mil super heavy-duty white tarp and pull it down the sides right with bungee cords.

What do you all suggest for an RV that will be exposed to such intense heat and Sun almost year round?

Also, how do you protect or secure the TT during heavy storms and high winds (while in storage or when not being used)

Thanks everyone! I've already learned a lot and hope to learn a lot more!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
First thing I'd consider is NOT leaving it stored in the open. Rain and ultra-violet rays are the enemy of anything left outside. UV radiation will eat white cable ties in less than a year... and many other plastics as well. Cover the tires with something that blocks the sun or they will be toast pretty quickly. Another thing to consider ( from experience) is get 2 air conditioners and 50-amp service. You'll need it... I can't speak to the tarp issue, but I know a custom-fitted boat cover will rub the paint off things, especially at corners, and any contact point. My TT isn't all that great, but it's in covered storage with the tires covered when not in use. It's 3 years old and still looks new... Worth it in my opinion.

As to the extended warranty, get the second year from Forest River, but not the after-market warranty. My sister is having to sue the one she paid good money to... They say an engine with a dropped valve is... "normal wear and tear"... It is looking like they are going to pay, and settle out of court... but they haven't yet... I've heard WAY too many horror stories about these scammers... I'll never buy one.

Nice trailer... by the way!... Safe travels!

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

TIRES - the factory tires are cheap. Mine lasted less than 2 years then started leaking and splitting!!! Keep a close eye on them until you decide to get REAL tires.

Have a ball....I'm a full-timer and love it. Drive safe!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

Nice TT, I considered this one too but is over my TV 4x4 Quadvan tow rating. I don't see what your tow vehicle is to provide some insight on it. In addition to the supplies you listed, I installed a tire pressure monitor which saved me 30 mins into my first trip when I picked up a nail; then replaced all tires and have two spares now with bias belted load range D; installed rear camera; purchased two Smarter Tools AP2000IQ Generators (these have the Yamaha engine) w/parellel cable to run TT AC and built an enclosure on tongue carrier (may not work for your TT). I have personal videos of these preps/upgrades here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPL...MhcvWVdq13JA0Q
Enjoy and have yourself Happy Travels!!!
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:07 AM   #5

I have a 2011 F250 4x4 6.7l diesel. Quite a few Suspension enhancements.
-Fox 2.0 shocks
-Helwig bigwig sway bars
-Timbren SES 5000lb sway control bumpstops
-F350 Rear blocks
-ProComp 1200lb rear add a leaf springs

Here are some pictures. The rear sway bar picture is before I upgraded from the Skyjacker M95 monotubes I installed when I bought the truck new.

The rear actually sit up 4" higher than stock. The front has a 2.5" ProComp leveling kit with Helwig Sway bar, ProComp Dual Steering stabilizer, and Fox 2.0 Shocks.

I'm running 295/65 20 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Only have 24k Miles on the truck. I have a company car that I drive most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14350358446100.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	98081   Click image for larger version

Name:	14350358447191.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	98082  

Click image for larger version

Name:	14339062509960.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	98083   Click image for larger version

Name:	14329237611360.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	98084  

Old 06-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #6

Oh and I just purchased a E2 Sway Control Equilizer Hitch, as per Forest Rivers recommedation. Anyone have any experience with it? Apparently my current unused WDH brackets won't fit because of the V front, so I had to get that hitch.

I have an unused Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit that I'm gonna need to sell.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suggest buying a couple fire extinguishers.

The RVIA approved one is useless as I found out when I had two tires blow out at the same time on a new 6 month old trailer.

I second the suggestion of replacing the tires with good tires.

Where is your first trip going to be?
Old 06-23-2015, 06:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'd suggest buying a couple fire extinguishers.

The RVIA approved one is useless as I found out when I had two tires blow out at the same time on a new 6 month old trailer.

I second the suggestion of replacing the tires with good tires.

Where is your first trip going to be?
I agree about The fire extinguisher(s). I am overkill on safety. I already have 4 extinguishers ready to be placed in and around the coach.

Regarding the tires, I asked about the tires and both the dealer and Forest River said they were steel belt radial upgrades and are actually good tires. They even said most companies put crap tires on their RVs. I was even willing to pay for a tire upgrade prior to delivery, but they told me it would be a waist of money. So, I'm hopeful they are good tires. Shoot, the delivery is a 1250 mile trip, so that will be a good test.

We are planning to either do a Big Bend or Garner a State Park here in Texas. We need to find a place that didn't get 12" of rain recently.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Consider loading up a small box fan that you can use while sitting under the awning. They sure make it nice with the breeze they put out. Good luck and have a ball. keep the tires covered when not in use.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IronCobra said

"We are planning to either do a Big Bend or Garner a State Park here in Texas. We need to find a place that didn't get 12" of rain recently."

Need a place that didn't get rain? Come to California...we haven't had 12" of rain the entire year where I live!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
If you haven't done so, I'd recommend a break-in trip as close to home as possible... and spend a couple of nights figuring everything out, including what you need to take along. Not many stores and such in the Chisos Basin... ... You'll make several trips home, and to Wally World during that weekend, for stuff you forgot, and stuff that "would be nice if"... It's amazing how we can't think of everything when we're excited and planning a trip... or... I never can, anyway. But... I'm OLD, and have an excuse...

My trailer's maiden voyage was from Amarillo to Weatherford because my job changed unexpectedly... and I lived in it for 8 weeks while my wife stayed and got the house sold. I just had to suck it up until weekends came. In a couple of trips back home i had it all worked out. Luckily, I had no problems with my unit during that time.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
If you haven't done so, I'd recommend a break-in trip as close to home as possible... and spend a couple of nights figuring everything out, including what you need to take along. Not many stores and such in the Chisos Basin... ... You'll make several trips home, and to Wally World during that weekend, for stuff you forgot, and stuff that "would be nice if"... It's amazing how we can't think of everything when we're excited and planning a trip... or... I never can, anyway. But... I'm OLD, and have an excuse...

My trailer's maiden voyage was from Amarillo to Weatherford because my job changed unexpectedly... and I lived in it for 8 weeks while my wife stayed and got the house sold. I just had to suck it up until weekends came. In a couple of trips back home i had it all worked out. Luckily, I had no problems with my unit during that time.
Outstanding advice! Thank you.

I'm just excited to get the trailer in. I have to wait until mid July for it to be completed and shipped. I'm just praying to God that it arrives in great condition with no major issues. After all, it's being delivered from 1250 miles away. I believe out first trip will be to Lake Corpus Christi or Choke Canyon which is only about 1-1.25 hours away with full hookups. Might even go out to Padre Island and spend a night or two there, after all it's only about 20mins from the house.

I just purchased a 4750 (3750) watt WEN generator, hoping it will be enough to power the AC and everything else I need (it has a 30amp RV plug built in).
Old 06-24-2015, 01:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep in mind you can camp in your driveway...good way to find out if everything is working before you head out.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #14

Not sure I can fit it in my driveway. Pretty tight culdesac

Tags