Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
New owner, 1978 Holiday Rambler 27' travel trailer

Hello from Maine

Today I am purchasing a 1978 Holiday Rambler 27' travel trailer to restore.

I'll post pics and questions in here

It's my first camper, I'm sure it will be a learning experience.

It's being hauled here today, I'll snap some pics of it en route

spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats and welcome aboard iRV2.

Be sure and visit our vintage RV section and post some photos.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
OK here are some "before" pics

We just got it towed over here and we are going to restore it. I don't know how but I'll find out

I got it for about $400 delivered, that seems like a pretty good price.

Shown below is where it was when we bought it, and the last pic is the truck bring it to our residence.

It has no vin number but I think it's a 1978 Holiday Rambler. There are other numbers on there that might give a clue ?

I wasn't able to register it as I could not find a vin number, so I attached my car plate for the quick trip. I'll eventually get it properly registered.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Oh I just discovered the "Vintage RV" forum, does this thread belong there ?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think when you measure this trailer you will find it is a 32 foot trailer. I have two 1979 HR trailers, a 27 and a 32. I can tell from the pictures that your trailer is significantly longer than 27.

What you have is a 5000 series, which was either top of the line or one step down from top in those years. The 332 generally designates the size. I think you're going to love the trailer. They are very well built. Even if the interior has been abused, the basic structure is pretty hard to damage. What is the interior like?
Jim Price
curmudgeon: noun; a crusty, ill-tempered, irascible, cantankerous old person . . . .
79 27' Holiday Rambler Statesman, 78 32' HR Imperial, 85 36' HR Imperial 5th Wheel
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Hi Jim

Thanks for chiming in

All those pics are click-able, they get bigger. The pic with the number actually reads 3000 332, so I guess it's not top of the line but is 32 foot ?

As for the inside, it's trashed LOL, I have to refinish it. I spent hours stripping and vacuuming and dealing with bugs yesterday. When I finish a once over I'll snap some pics of the interior and ask for advice The floor will be bare and there is no furniture. But the cupboards look good.

Have fun,
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
The numbers 31xxx on the end cap indicate that the previous owner was a member of the Holiday Ramblers Recreational Vehicle Club (HRRVC - Holiday Rambler RV Club - Holiday Rambler) at one time. As a current owner of an older (MY2000) and current member of HRRVC I can say that the older trailers were pretty solidly built. Have fun restoring the trailer.
FMCA# 266040 HRRVC# 84109
2000 32' HR Vacationer w/Banks
'98 Subaru Outback 5 spd toad
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
I have to give you credit for taking on a big job like that. And no, you're not in the wrong Forum. I personally don't usually go the vintage RV Forum so if you had posted there I wouldn't have heard about your plan. Good luck and please show us the finished product when you're done.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on the new to you trailer purchase and hope you have the greatest time restoring it. Post some pics as you go as it will be fun to watch the progress. Hope you have many funfilled miles with it when you complete the project. Oh yeah, WELCOME to the forum, glad you joined us.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
...............That will be a nice trailer when you're finished ! You really can't refurbish anything until all roof leaks have been sealed ! , jigger
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
I owned a 72 Holiday and the serial number was stamped on the tongue, on the left side if I remember.
GlennB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
SRT I'm glad to know it's solid

ajlcal It's quite a chore, but I think it will be nice when it's finished.

Steve N Sal Will do, thanks

Jigger I was told it did not leak, but I was also told everything works ... I'll go inside next time it rains and look around

Glenn B. I did check that area as tech support told me to, but to no avail. All vin numbers are gone. But I wonder if I can discover the vin number by looking up one of the other numbers? But I learned that without a vin number I can register it as a home made trailer or rebuild.

Thanks all, for chiming in

It's good to know I'll have a pool of knowledge to draw from.

I am still stripping the inside of that trailer, fighting the living bugs, vacuuming the dead bugs, tearing up old rotten carpet, vacuuming mouse-houses, spraying pesticides, washing with diluted-bleach; all the while wearing a respirator and it's very hot in the trailer!

I tried to plug in the power and it electrifies the door, ouch! So I run an extension cord through the window.

I contacted the manuafactuere for a manual and they want $25+ shipping for it, I asked if they'd send it on PDF for less - I don't need a paper book.

(For all my other devices, like a chainsaw and a printer, I simply download the PDF from the manufacturer's website. I've only paid for repair manuals.)

But the good news is, once I'm finished my first pass in that trailer you'll never know it was previously uninhabitable

I'll snap some pics soon. But basically you'll see the cupboards are nice and the floors are bare. It should be pretty easy to refinish once it's actually clean inside LOL

OK, have fun!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
Make sure you are using and extension cord that is grounded to plug into the trailer wireing , if not the body is now electrified. (One of my mistakes). Do you have an old title or regestration for this rig if so the serial number is on that. (check every piece of paper you pull out with the cleaning of the rig ) Hope this helps. Joe
99 F-350 4X4 PSD pulling a 24' Nash travel trailer
JRNOLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #14
Eternabond !!

..................For all roof repairs , Eternabond IS THE accepted fixxer of choice ! It comes in various sizes but I purchased the normal size which is a roll , 4 inches wide by 50 feet long ! Clean the rubber roof with mineral spirits by pouring onto a rag , and then clean the spot . Never Pour any petroleum based chemical on a rubber roof because it will dissolve it ! , jigger

Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote