Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #15

On a brand new unit... Not normal at all! Some of that stuff should have showed up on the PDI. Ours took about 3 hours, and I crawled all under and over the unit with a flashlight, and made them fix everything before I would accept the unit.

If there was that much rust on the underside, the dealer should have caught it and fixed it prior to you picking it up.

We had a bad water heater circuit board on a previous TT (brand new), and the dealer took one out of another unit on the lot and put it in ours, then ordered another one to replace the one that he, ahh, borrowed.

True customer service.

The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
On a brand new unit... Not normal at all! Some of that stuff should have showed up on the PDI. Ours took about 3 hours, and I crawled all under and over the unit with a flashlight, and made them fix everything before I would accept the unit.

If there was that much rust on the underside, the dealer should have caught it and fixed it prior to you picking it up.

We had a bad water heater circuit board on a previous TT (brand new), and the dealer took one out of another unit on the lot and put it in ours, then ordered another one to replace the one that he, ahh, borrowed.

True customer service.
My dealer said something like that as well I complained about poor sewing quality on one of the cushions and they said they would just pull it from another unit, and probably sell that unit with the cushion I complained about. At least the guy was honest.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #17

If it's a 2016 bought in January it was probably built in the fall of 2015 and towed down to Florida. Where is the factory compared to where it snows? I've seen worse salt damage on units parked near the ocean. Where was it stored?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
Our '02 Dutch Star MH ($212,000) had a punch list of over 50 items that took us over two years to get taken care of. But we kept it for 13 years and it was the most dependable rig we've ever had.
Hang in there, get it fixed and enjoy.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #19

Some of those things are average, but definitely not all of that. My cable tv lines were all loose. Connectors placed on the ends but none of them crimped. Loose pipe fittings on drains and water supplies. Wires behind panels were a complete mess. Sawdust everywhere in hidden areas. Very slight propane leak in the hot water heater. Enough that I could smell it outside at the back of the trailer but it was very slow.

Mostly just things that were not checked that should have been. Annoying stuff.

The rust is another issue. It's definitely not normal to have that much rust. Small amounts of surface rust are expected, but it shouldn't be prevalent throughout the trailer.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Mid Atlantic Campers
I own a 2006 CrossRoads Cruiser and also belong to the CrossRoads Owners' Forum. CrossRoads' customer service has always been excellent for me. Please read the following words carefully and do EXACTLY as I recommend. Take your unit to your dealer. Hand them the keys. Tell them to call you as soon as your brand new replacement unit is ready to pick up. DO NOT NEGOTIATE with the dealer. DEMAND a replacement unit...PERIOD!
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #21

I would say that any RV having problems is normal. I really doubt that the majority don't have any issues. Is it right? No. It's just that's the way it is. I suppose you could say that the rust problem is not really normal. I would say it's not uncommon. I think having zero issues is not normal. Lets face it, they build some really cheap junk sometimes and unfortunately 30% of RV buyers are 1st time buyers. So it's easy to sell the cheap junk. Most are unsuspecting of it.
That's why RV's depreciate so fast. Everyone knows they're poorly made with short life spans. Just like autos, only the good ones hold their value.

If you aren't handy, then you better be rich to own one, cause after the warranty's up we're all on our own.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #22

One of the problems is usówe buy them and don't hold the manufacturers and dealers as accountable as we should most of the time.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
One of the problems is usówe buy them and don't hold the manufacturers and dealers as accountable as we should most of the time.

And how would we do that? Everyone complains but yet we go buy another one.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
And how would we do that? Everyone complains but yet we go buy another one.
Unfortunately you are correct. The only way to solve the problem is to boycott all RV's for a year or so. Would be hard to do. We could select one brand per year to stop purchasing.
Let's start with any Thor brand and then spread the word. That would get their attention but the logistics of doing it would probably be impossible to implement.
I vote to stop purchasing any Keystone product.
We are the problem. I have a Nash trailer and I have spent time and money to get it up to my level of expected quality. Pretty good to start with but much nicer now. Will never sell it and have to go through the whole process again.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #25

We are going into our 4th season with our Fox Mountain. We had a couple small glitches in the 1st week that were easily fixed. Other than the terribly faded front cap all has been good. We tend to hit some RV shows in the off season and have thought about getting something else in a couple years.
Not sure if I really want to do it all over again and take the chance of possibly getting a lemon. We're on our 3rd trailer and none have given us any serious or multiple problems. Plus I'd have to do more mods again and I'm not sure I want to.
I feel for these buyers that have 10-15 things that are wrong with their trailers. If you read around on some other brand forums it's amazing how cheap they all are. It doesn't matter if you spend $14,000 on a small Wolf Pup or $90,000 on a Heartland Landmark. They all can have from hardly any to many problems.
Sad thing is that it's not always the MFGs fault. They all buy the same products from the same suppliers. Sure you can get a Norcold or Dometic fridge or Furion, Jensen or IRV stereo, but they all still have problems.
When you have someone installing a cheap Jensen stereo and they get the wiring mixed up or not even connected you have a dbl whammy. They fix the wiring under warranty and then a year latter the Jensen quits working. That's just not right.