Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

New purchase

Just put the money on a outback tt at campers world and had a couple question. First the tires that came with it are ST225/75R 15D the empty weight is 7769 and load is 1731. Is this tire size and D rating sufficient or do I need to plan in near future putting on heavier rated tires. Second question there isn't awnings over the slid outs(3) the Rockwood we just sold had them is this something I would want to add or are they not necessary on this trailer Thanks in advance Bill White
billwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How many tires does the trailer have on the ground?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
yeah I would think you would be fine. Maintain the pressure and remember a portion of the weight will be transferred to the truck.

Lots and lot of 15's running around out there.

that being said, Sendel Wheel, Tireco's Brand of Aluminum and Steel OEM and Custom Trailer Wheels. this company has great prices on Sendel wheels and whatever tires you want.

I just went through considering 16" wheels, and just decided to heck with it for now.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #4

Yes, I would (and did) add a slide topper. It will prevent a lot of twigs, leaves, etc., from falling onto the top of the slide and ruining the slide seals (very expensive to have replaced I'm told). It will also keep water from puddling up and maybe coming inside when you close the slide
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #5

tires

Trailer has 4 tires I pick it up tomorrow and will see what brand of tires it has are on it When we did the final inspection it was parked under an awning and so dark couldn't read the lettering on tires, probably written in Chinese anyway...I'm a little disappointed that for the price we are paying it didn't have the slide awnings makes one wonder what other corners were cut to increase the corp profit margin
billwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check the GVWR of the trailer, then add the max weight capacity of the individual ties and do a little math.

Don't worry too much about Chinese tires. I've towed my trailer quite far on the stock nearly-no-name tires trouble free. Get a TPMS system and protect them from UV and you'll be ok.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #7

New purchase

My trailer is just about the same size as yours and I have gone through this experience in the last five years.

I would replace them after you start having trouble--my experience has been it will be within two years.

The first thing I would do as soon as you pick up your trailer is take it to a tire place and have them balance the tires. most new trailers come with wheels that have not been balanced. If you skip this step your tires will wear in a strange way.

Also consider the fact that the max pressure rating for the tire is 50 psi and I suspect your trailer data plate says that the minimum air pressure must be 50 psi. It's a very fine line to keep your tires are properly inflated. I constantly stress about this after having a blowout once.

The advantage of having E rated tires is there a max pressure is 80 psi so there's a lot of latitude between minimum pressure and Max pressure. I normally keep my inflated at around 75. There's peace of mind knowing your tires are properly inflated and the additional perk is you get better gas mileage while towing.

One final note I highly recommend Maxxis tires I've had three different types and they are by far and away the best.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Yes, I would (and did) add a slide topper. It will prevent a lot of twigs, leaves, etc., from falling onto the top of the slide and ruining the slide seals (very expensive to have replaced I'm told). It will also keep water from puddling up and maybe coming inside when you close the slide
X2 x3 xn!
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Second question there isn't awnings over the slid outs(3) the Rockwood we just sold had them is this something I would want to add or are they not necessary on this trailer Thanks in advance Bill White[/QUOTE]

Yes, on slide toppers! Get them before you finalize purchase and negotiate dealer costs for toppers and installation!

Tags
purchase