Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #1

New rubber roof, just replaced, same issues

I was cleaning the roof of our 2014 Black Stone when I saw numerous little protrusions pushing up the membrane as well as several bubbles. We had the trailer 7 months. We dropped the trailer off in La Grande at the factory in August, the roof was one of many, many warranty repairs needed. I might add that those little protrusions multiplied and were visible in locations where they were not visible in June. The factory took off the original membrane and put down a roof overlay and a new membrane. Seven and a half weeks later (another post) our trailer was delivered to a local Outdoors RV dealer. I brought the trailer home and began to check on the repairs (another post), when I got up on the roof I discovered bubbles of varying sizes, most at the very front and at the rear of the trailer. I also found about 10 of those protrusions, one had a very, very small tear at the top of the protrusion. In addition a found a spot (more like a line) that was pushed upward and 2 1/4" long. I do not know what the roof overlay material is, but it looks to me like a piece of plywood has split and is pushing upward, this line peaks and is not round like the other protrusions and feels "sharp."

I was told by the service manager at the factory that the round protrusions were normal and he had never seen one tear the membrane. Of course the bubbles are normal and not to be worried about as long as they don't brake. We had our prior trailer for over 8 years before a small bubble appeared and never any protrusions on the roof. I am concerned this roof will not last and once the warranty runs out, I am sure the extended warranty will not cover it because it will be a "factory defect". I am going to contact ORV and will be taking it to a dealer for the roof and other issues. Any one out there have similar issues like this on a new roof (2 new roofs actually)?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your problems. I am surprised at this knowing that the Blackstone is one of their premier brands.
Personally I hate the answer that what you are seeing is normal. It isn't and I would not accept what they have done. Where has quality control gone? Are we just supposed to accept shoddy workmanship? Take it back and demand that it be fixed to your satisfaction.
I have a 2005 Northwood Nash model 22H and it is constructed much better than the current models. It seems that every year the goal is to cut costs so the price won't need to be raised. How about building a higher quality trailer and charging a fair price and let the customer benefit. I am heading to the RV show in Nov. and I'm looking forward to seeing if there is a trend to upgrading quality. Probably not.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

From the FAQ on Dicor's website. I guess this is the manufacturers official stance, but I don't know that I like it. I just installed my roof and I have some bubbles, but I'd expect more from a professional install.

My roof has air bubbles. Is this normal?
Typically, if air bubbles occur they occur during or very soon after the roof has been applied. A couple of reasons for the air bubbles would be that they were not broomed out during application, and we ask the installer not to stretch the material during installation to allow for expansion and contraction of the membrane. Air bubbles will occur with weather conditions and humidity. Air bubbles can also occur at the seams of the roof decking due to flexing and twisting that occurs during transit. Sometimes they occur if there is a significant difference in the temperature between the inside and outside of the unit.

https://dicorproducts.com/faq/#air-bubbles
RVcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #4

Blackstone aren't made any better than other Outdoor RV products. They just have more bling. Bummer on the roof issues. We have a Northwood product and I'm disappointed in it as well. Front cap fading in particular. To it's credit though we've used if for over 100 nights and 10,000 miles and it's held up great. Nothing is falling apart. Just a few squeaks here and there.
I'm surprised that Outdoor didn't do a better job repairing it. I could see getting that from a dealer.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #5

The "imperfections" (per the ORV factory service manager) will not cause damage to the roof and that he would make a note of it in my file. If the roof fails, ORV will take care of it, now I need to get that on paper.

I took the trailer to the dealer I bought it from and the service manager got on the roof, he was surprised about the bubbles, the "imperfections", particularly the pointed 2 1/4" "imperfection" on a new roof put on at the factor.

I will be contacting the ORV Warranty Rep regarding the roof, and a written agreement to an extended factory warranty.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #6

I sure would be interested in how this problem with the roof covering was finally resolved by OVR. A reasonable person would think that this was a 100% warranty issue. Look forward to hearing from you.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
I was cleaning the roof of our 2014 Black Stone when I saw numerous little protrusions pushing up the membrane as well as several bubbles. We had the trailer 7 months. We dropped the trailer off in La Grande at the factory in August, the roof was one of many, many warranty repairs needed. I might add that those little protrusions multiplied and were visible in locations where they were not visible in June. The factory took off the original membrane and put down a roof overlay and a new membrane. Seven and a half weeks later (another post) our trailer was delivered to a local Outdoors RV dealer. I brought the trailer home and began to check on the repairs (another post), when I got up on the roof I discovered bubbles of varying sizes, most at the very front and at the rear of the trailer. I also found about 10 of those protrusions, one had a very, very small tear at the top of the protrusion. In addition a found a spot (more like a line) that was pushed upward and 2 1/4" long. I do not know what the roof overlay material is, but it looks to me like a piece of plywood has split and is pushing upward, this line peaks and is not round like the other protrusions and feels "sharp."

I was told by the service manager at the factory that the round protrusions were normal and he had never seen one tear the membrane. Of course the bubbles are normal and not to be worried about as long as they don't brake. We had our prior trailer for over 8 years before a small bubble appeared and never any protrusions on the roof. I am concerned this roof will not last and once the warranty runs out, I am sure the extended warranty will not cover it because it will be a "factory defect". I am going to contact ORV and will be taking it to a dealer for the roof and other issues. Any one out there have similar issues like this on a new roof (2 new roofs actually)?
Had what sounds like the same bumps in our 5er. When I took the membrane off they were mold growths. White - looked a bit like a mushroom. I would be concerned if it were my unit.

I replaced all of the sheeting - even the good stuff. Replaced the chip board with plywood. The mold has not grown back.

A few bubbles are not of concern. It is just a place where the glue has not stuck. IMO it will not affect the roof unless it keeps on getting bigger.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
I sure would be interested in how this problem with the roof covering was finally resolved by OVR. A reasonable person would think that this was a 100% warranty issue. Look forward to hearing from you.
The factory response as to any warranty on the roof was "not going to happen", but they will repair the roof to my satisfaction. I am to contact ORV when I get the trailer back from the dealer. ORV will replace the damaged tool box, so I am sure they are going to replace all that was damaged.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Had what sounds like the same bumps in our 5er. When I took the membrane off they were mold growths. White - looked a bit like a mushroom. I would be concerned if it were my unit.

I replaced all of the sheeting - even the good stuff. Replaced the chip board with plywood. The mold has not grown back.

A few bubbles are not of concern. It is just a place where the glue has not stuck. IMO it will not affect the roof unless it keeps on getting bigger.
I was told by Rick Ewing at ORV there should not be any bumps or even bubbles on the roof if done right. I forget the name of the material (Luan or something sounding like that) used in the overlay, the material is thin enough that any thing left on the wood will show up. While Rick said the roof would not be further warranted by the factory, he agreed that the roof needed to be repaired right and ORV wanted me to be satisfied with it. He said it wasn't rocket science to repair the roof, any reputable shop could do it or I can return it to the factory.

Thanks for the information, I plan on seeing the roof repaired this time & I will be asking & looking for mold possibilities.

Tags
replace, roof