Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmullen View Post
I was considering the KUMHO Radial 857 205R14C Trailer Use Only which are load range D / Max Load 2271 lbs / Max Inflation 65 psi. Would these not work with my current rims?

@ Cumminsfan - You are saying I can run 215/75/14 tires on my current rims?

@ timetogo - how do I find the width of my rims?
This site http://www.tredittire.com/Default.aspx is a major supplier of rims and tires for TT/5'er manufacturers. If you look for your rim in a 14" with an 1870lb load rating it will be 14x6". A 215/75/14 requires a 6" wide rim. IMO you'd be good to go with any tire requiring 6"' of width.

As a general rule all ST tires and TT'5'er rims are intertwined. It doesn't matter who makes an ST tire they all are rated the same. Example, a Marathon, Tow Max, Carlisle, TrailAmerica in a 215/75/14C will all have the same load rating. Same goes for rims. The rims and tires are matched. Same weight ratings for both when at max psi.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #30

Thank you very much for all of the information. I am going to keep going with the questions to keep learning and to make sure I am understanding all of this correctly.

So I should be able to use the KUMHO Radial 857 205R14C Trailer Use Only tires which are load range D / Max Load 2271 lbs. / Max Inflation 65 psi with my current rims.

or...

I could go to a Maxxis ST Radial M8008 load range C / Max Load 1870 / Max PSI 50 lbs. tire that is 215/75/14 with my current rims.

If both of these are true would one setup be considered "better" than the other?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Thank you very much for all of the information. I am going to keep going with the questions to keep learning and to make sure I am understanding all of this correctly.

So I should be able to use the KUMHO Radial 857 205R14C Trailer Use Only tires which are load range D / Max Load 2271 lbs. / Max Inflation 65 psi with my current rims.

or...

I could go to a Maxxis ST Radial M8008 load range C / Max Load 1870 / Max PSI 50 lbs. tire that is 215/75/14 with my current rims.

If both of these are true would one setup be considered "better" than the other?
The load rating of the tire should not exceed the load rating of the rim, regardless of how it's intended to be used on the highway.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #32

The KUMHO tire you are looking at is rated to 99MPH. The Maxxis is rated to 65MPH. I would buy the KUMHO if I needed a 14" tire. I did have good luck with the 15" E rated Maxxis I owned. They replaced C rated tires.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
The KUMHO tire you are looking at is rated to 99MPH. The Maxxis is rated to 65MPH. I would buy the KUMHO if I needed a 14" tire. I did have good luck with the 15" E rated Maxxis I owned. They replaced C rated tires.
What about the statement above..."The load rating of the tire should not exceed the load rating of the rim, regardless of how it's intended to be used on the highway.

Wouldn't that would rule out the KUMHO?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #34

A reputable tire dealer replaced the 205 75R 15 C rated tires that came on my trailer to 225 75R 15 E rated tires.
Go to a reputable tire store and talk to the owner or manager.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #35

Me personally I would get the Kumho's and run the needed psi to achieve the load needed for the TT. Todays rims aren't rated for psi, they're rated for lbs. Don't over load the rim and you're fine.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Me personally I would get the Kumho's and run the needed psi to achieve the load needed for the TT. Todays rims aren't rated for psi, they're rated for lbs. Don't over load the rim and you're fine.
So inflate the KUMHO's to the maximum 65 psi?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #37

65 psi is a good start. Tires achieve their carrying capacity and run cooler at max psi.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #38

Quote:
So inflate the KUMHO's to the maximum 65 psi?
You need to ask Kumho what the recommended psi needs to be. Or maybe the tire installer. No need to run max psi if not needed. You'll just wear out the center of the tires. Under inflated tires will over heat if too much load is on them. Overinflated tires will wear out in the center. You need to find the right psi.

If you have say 2240lbs per tire x4=8960lbs and are only carrying 5000lbs then you don't need max psi. You'll just wear the centers out faster.

I found this on another forum

I spoke w/ one of Kumho's tire application engineers about 18mo ago when I installed Kumhos, and was told that 50psi would support 1975 pounds on the Kumho 857 (at the time I was concerned I might have 50psi wheels). That was from a tire load chart the gentleman accessed.

I have been running 60psi, but after 15,000mi the little mould bumps on the ourside edges of the tread show no wear at all, showing the center of the tire is the only part bearing heavily on the road, indicating that 60psi is higher than optimum for a full tire contact patch. I plan to reduce the pressure.

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/top...tire-pressure/
Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #39

Thank you guys for all the great information. I have learned a lot.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #40

The Kuhmo 857 is a commercial grade LT tire approved and recommended by it’s manufacturer for trailer service.

http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...E-E59335DE416C

The proper procedure for using plus sized tires for replacements of the Original Equipment tires is to insure they provide the load capacity of the OE tires. Therefore, the installer should look on the vehicle’s tire placard, see what the recommended tire pressure is and then determine how much load capacity that recommended tire pressure is providing. Then get the load inflation chart for the plus sized replacement tires and use the air pressure necessary to provide (as a minimum) the load capacity the vehicle manufacturer provided with the OE tires.

Bottom line; Tire Manufacturers DO NOT set recommended tire pressures, Vehicle Manufacturers do..

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote