Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

New Shoes

I put this on the Keystone owners forum but I figured I could reach more folks by posting on this forum as well.

I just purchased a new 2013 Keystone Bullet 246RBS and I want to get new tires for it. I want to upgrade all of the suspension eventually (Dexter EZ-Flex, etc.) but I am going to start with the tires. From what I have read on here and several other boards Maxxis seems to be the brand of choice and I should be sure to get steel valve stems and have them tightened by hand instead of an impact wrench.

Where do I start as far as making sure I get the correct size tire with the correct ratings for my trailer? Also, would there be any advantage to changing the wheels? Mine came with standard steel wheels, not the fancy aluminum ones.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #2

I ran a set of Maxxis 225 75R 15 E for six years on a prior trailer. No issues.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmullen View Post
I put this on the Keystone owners forum but I figured I could reach more folks by posting on this forum as well.

I just purchased a new 2013 Keystone Bullet 246RBS and I want to get new tires for it. I want to upgrade all of the suspension eventually (Dexter EZ-Flex, etc.) but I am going to start with the tires. From what I have read on here and several other boards Maxxis seems to be the brand of choice and I should be sure to get steel valve stems and have them tightened by hand instead of an impact wrench.

Where do I start as far as making sure I get the correct size tire with the correct ratings for my trailer? Also, would there be any advantage to changing the wheels? Mine came with standard steel wheels, not the fancy aluminum ones.
Your tire size (205/75/14C) is listed on the sticker that should be located near the front of the TT. If you are upgrading the suspension then why get tires now? Why not wait till you get the new suspension? Why are you upgrading?

If it were me I'd run these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....partnum=0R4857
Old 09-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

I said I would eventually like to upgrade the suspension but I don't have the money to do everything I want to right now. For starters I would like to know I have a good safe set of wheels and tires on the camper.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #5

My experience in tire indicates maxxis load range d are the best for my 10k lb trailer. Size requirements on the trailer sticker. Its your money, but if it were me, I would balance the wheels and run them until they wear out then buy the maxxis.

My experience with new trailer tires (goodyear or any oem tire) is that they will give you up to 20k mi. Speeds over 65 mph may reduce this on some tires. I recently had tread separation on all 4 Carlisle within 7k mi.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Do the tires need to be replaced?

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #7

I just went with Maxxis on my trailer. Load range E, up one range than stock. Balanced the tire and took it on several trips. So far so good. I'm happy with them.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #8

Typo on my previous post-

"My experience in tire indicates maxxis load range E are the best..."
Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's what I'd do. You did not mention what your axle capacity upgrade will be. If you want a better margin of safety then try to find a shop that will install an axle that will be at least 1,000 lbs carrying capacity greater than what you have now. I really like the Dexter Tor-Flex independent axles. There's no leaf springs to deal with. If you do that it should have maybe a 16" rims. That means you can purchase a tire that can more than handle the weight of your TT.
So if you buy new tires now your won't be able to use them on the new axle.

Here's why I'm suggesting this. Our last TT had a maximum capacity of 7,000 lbs. It came stock with two 3,000 lb axles. It also had 14" rims. The largest tire we could get in a 14" just barely met the maximum capacity of the TT. There was no margin for safety. The TT was 1,000 lbs under it's maximum capacity and the tires were also very close. Absolutely no margin for errors. I really never felt safe pulling it.

Now just because you get heavier axles does not mean you can overload your TT. You still have a frame that is limited but at least you have a safety margin. Would you believe that many TT companies suggest that you not put a lot of fresh water into your holding tank because they are not designed to carry that much weight down the road.

I'd also look into having some shocks installed by a reputable individual. I'm still very surprised that the TT industry does not build many TT's with shocks and those that do have them are installed incorrectly.

TeJay
Old 09-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
TeJay. are installed incorrectly? Just so I stay away from those manufacture's which ones are doing it incorrectly?
Thanks
Mike

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Shoes

You said a new 2013, or is it new to you?
what is the manufacture date stamped on the tires?

Great site for info: How to Read A Tire Sidewall | Auto care Tips | DOT Serial Number | Tire Sidewall

Starting with the year 2000, four numbers are used for the Date of Manufactuer, first two numbers identify the week and the last two numbers identify the year of manufacture.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #12

I will get all the info from the tires and wheels today and post it here. Where can I find the axle information?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #13

If your axles are dexter, there is a number stamped on the curbside rear axle. You can look up the type from that number. The dexter manual shows the location and instructions on how to decode.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #14

Try here for wheels http://www.tredittire.com/Aluminum-W...heels-C10.aspx

Maxxis or GY Marathons are your best bet. You need 6 lug hubs to get 16" wheels which would allow you to get LT tires. For now you're stuck with ST tires and subject to China made tires.