Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

New soon to be owners! Advice?

Hey everyone! My wife and I are looking at buying a 2017 Jayco Jay Feather X213 in the near future. We were wondering if anybody here has one and has any likes/dislikes and just general things to look for? We are rookies! This will be our first trailer and we are excited to make memories with our growing family. Thank you for any input!
SEAHAWKS 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have a 2017 Jay Feather 23RBM. Got it last August and very happy with it. Had one issue (furnace) that was covered under warranty and done well.

I suggest you have the dealer walk you through all the systems during your PDI (pre delivery inspection). Ask a lot of questions. Mine took 3 hours, and was well worth the time.

Our first weekend was a campground 2 miles from our house. Good learning experience.

Have great fun.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #3

Thanks Buzz! Yeah the dealer we are looking to go through does a two hour class to show you everything. Sounds like Jayco has a great warranty as well!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Make sure they show you how to winterize. Easy to do, and critical if you get much below freezing, ever.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
My advice is to do a couple of driveway camping test runs before buying a bunch of stuff you think you will need. Storage is limited so you really want to find out what you actually do need before filling up those cubbies. We bought all the items that seemed obvious to have and don't use half of them.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #6

Make sure the X213 meets your needs !!

We were seriously considering purchasing an X213. In the end, we decided against. Lacking a side slide, the X213 seemed too cramped for the price level.

My biggest concern, however, was that the bed extended somewhat over the seat at the table making that seat uncomfortable and cramped.

Those, however, are just personal preferences.

Other than that, it looks like a really nice unit !!
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #7

Plan to spend a weekend camping close to the dealership to work out the bugs before you tow the unit home.
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll know the right one when you step into it.

Happy Trails!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #9

Thanks everyone! I have noted all of this down...we would like the bigger Jay flight model for the same price point but my truck just isn't quite as big as ide like it to be for that.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

For the 2 of us, with the occasional guest, the X213 is perfect I'm a pretty big guy, but I haven't noticed any problem with the dinette. We usually only use it for playing cards or other games in the evening. Most of the time we eat outside. With the awning, it takes a good wind along with rain to drive us inside.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

My advice is to enjoy it and have fun!
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #12

Awesome thanks for the feedback. It will be the two of us and my son and another one in the next couple years. We are the same way, probably eat outside as well but the inside still seems adequate if we had to dine in!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:47 AM   #13

Is this your first TT ?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:15 AM   #14

That's a great layout for a small family with lots of storage. We also have a single child and no slide, which is fine since we spend our days outside. Make sure you have enough towing capacity to keep your family safe. (hitch weight will be about 600lbs with electric jack, batteries and propane). Dont buy all the rv accessories right off the bat! Get a feel for it first. All you need for the first weekend is a 15' dump hose, a fresh water hose, Kirkland 2 ply tp (don't waste money on the rv tp or chemicals) and a box of disposable gloves. Some states require that the rv hose be sealed to the drain so I recommend the Rhino flex sewer kit. A 50a male to 30a female adapter, 15a to 30a adapter and 20' extension cord could come in handy. A camco water bandit helps with broken spigots.

Usually the starter kit they give you is junk, ask for a store credit instead or keep it as a backup. Most dealers will give you 10-15% off accessories the day you pick up.

Search for rv pdi checklist and bring one with you when you take delivery. Make sure you see everything electrical working before you pay.

Try a night or two driveway camping to get used to how everything works.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice