Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #15

Well the results are in, she passed with flying colors and will be sitting in our driveway very soon!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #16

I think you should immediately equip your truck with a set of gauges and watch the egt's and trans temp closely.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless you are familiar with backing up a trailer would suggest a trial run. More than one person has given up the life style because ot their unability to back the beast.

I remember my kids saying the funs over Dads got to back the trailer..

Don
Old 08-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #18

Thanks for the advice about the gauges, I already have those installed as well as a DO tuner for towing. My next planned upgrades are a JW valve body as well as a 6.0 tranny cooler.

I understand what your saying about backing it in, the largest thing I'm accustomed to is a 8x25 enclosed cargo trailer. It can be testing at times, so adding another 10 ft will be a learning experience. My kids are the same way, when the radio gets cut off they say okay everybody be quiet.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #19

I use two way radios. one in the truck and my wife has the other. She knows that "turn this way" Don't cut it! Also she is vigilant for trees or other over head obstacles I can't see. A fantastic helper is invaluable. Don't be afraid to train one or ask for help from those in your vehicle. A little patience will make a big payoff. Safe travels.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat
I use two way radios. one in the truck and my wife has the other. She knows that "turn this way" Don't cut it! Also she is vigilant for trees or other over head obstacles I can't see. A fantastic helper is invaluable. Don't be afraid to train one or ask for help from those in your vehicle. A little patience will make a big payoff. Safe travels.
Cell phones work great too. Also my wife has learned to tell me which way to move the back end of the trailer. She used to say " you need to move a little left" as though the trailer could move sideways. By giving me direction on where the back of the trailer needs to be, it is much easier for us to understand. I also find that if I get out and survey the parking situation before I try to park we get a gameplan and work better together than if I just let her hop out and start giving instruction.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #21

Well, our first trip is in the books. Our only two issues were tranny temp and I believe we have either a bad or hung gauge in the black water tank. When we left home it read 1/3 full, upon arrival it read 2/3 full. I dumped it twice and it still reads 2/3 full, I dumped it this morning and partially filled with cleaner for the ride home hoping it would shake it loose but it didn't. Any advice?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip.Saran
You've been given good advice, the only thing I can add is do not buy a RV
that does not have at least one slide out, buying one without a slide maybe
cheaper now, but when you want to upgrade later down the road you will
not be able to unload the rig with no slides.
That is really good advice. Seems like all the campers on Craigslist are non slide outs.

Tags
camping