Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #1

new to me onan generator

I got a used onan out of a class b for a little work. it only has 76 hrs on it. And 2 new batteries got it back to the tt hooked the batteries up hit the button and all she did was turn over. So I went to napa and got plugs wires and a fuel filter. put it on no change. So I put some gas in the intake . Then she fired up then died. Pulled the carb off. Took it apart cleaned out all the sludge. Put it back together . Hit the button and wow iit runs great now I need to mount it on the tt and run the wires. And to think I was going to spend 2k on a small Honda. Man im glad this guy wanted to trade work for a gen. Anybody else out there ever put a onan on a tt?

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like a great deal.. What size? Did you check the output?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Sounds like a great deal.. What size? Did you check the output?
its a 4k as far as the output well it runs every thing in the rv. lol

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most class B's use the microlite As you have learned, they use a tiny carb. You have to run them at least every other month to keep the carb clean. The book calls for two hours a month, but i think that is excessive
Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I put a used Onan CMM 7000 in the dog grooming van I built for my wife. We sold the business and the van. I was reading Craigslist and saw a Generac QC 60 for sale at a great price at a dealership. The generator only had three hours on it. I drove five hours to buy it, it's great to have power in places like Walmart parking lots and rest areas.

There is a fuel system cleaner that Onan sells that really does a good job of cleaning the carb and the combustion chamber. It makes a lot of smoke, but after using it the Onan generator ran much smoother.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

My son uses a Champion 3.5K generator with his TT. He welded a support frame on the back bumper and mounts the generator there when they're going somewhere. He plugs the TT shore power into the RV receptacle on the generator. Seems to work great.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote