Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #15

Or, maybe Ideal went broke and the company was restated with the new name of Kit manufacturing. Happens quite often. My old Cobra Sunrise became Forest River.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #16

That could be very true. Kit even went belly up a while back.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchek91 View Post
You would be correct, i found a tag in the closet that says manufactured by Ideal Travel Trailers in Caldwell, Idaho. sadly it dosnt give a year or any other info. I was looking up pricing and with all the clamps and all the pex hose i would need i will only be into the plumbing about $50-$60. Im hopeing that on my next days off i will be able to buy the pex and maybe start getting to work on pulling the old plumbing out and putting the new in and possibly start getting the shower and toilet out of the bathroom so that i can start redoing the rotted floor in there.
Wouldn't the vehicle registration have the year? Assuming the trailer had vehicle license tags that is.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #18

Sorry its been so long since my last update on this. I have found out that it is a 1972 Ideal and its a 21 footer. So far iv removed the beds and their frames so that i could get to the fresh water tank and the water heater and discovered that that wall is toast or at least the panneling is, im keeping my fingers crossed that the framing of the wall is salvagable. The opposite side wall is also going to need new panneling due to a broken window that was never fixed . I have also decided after inspecting the floor closer and finding that there is more soft spots than just the bathroom floor (although non are anywhere near as soft as the bathroom is, i can put a flat head through the bathroom by barly pushing on it) that im going to bit the bullet and replace the whole floor now instead of having it rear its ugly head in the future most likely at a very inconvinent time. This next days off i have im going up to Boise and am going to buy new plywood for the floors, some new panneling for the walls, pick out the new flooring (im still trying to decide between laminante or those vinyle tiles) get the pex piping and im hopeing to go to camping world while im up there and get some new vent covers, and new marker lights. Even with all the new problems that keep popping up im trying to finish it by the beggining of July, i know thats soon but i think i can do it, im pretty handy and i have lots of good help so im confident that i can get it done right by then.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I would use either the laminate or a single sheet of vinyl lanolium flooring. My personal opinion of the 12" squares is that they show the seams after some time. If you are replacing the floor, then that would make laying out the lanolium pretty easy with out all the assecories in the trailer.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #20

Something to think about- 1/2 inch PEX may be too big. Most TT copper from the old days was 3/8 or even 1/4" in some cases. Your volume of water flow will be low due to the pumping system and pressure and you will waste more volume (gallons) when you wait for hot water to get to the shower or sink. Even most mobile homes use 3/8 plumbing as the runs are not that long so larger pipes are no needed. Copper to PEX has special fittings. Squeeze ring clamps for PEX are easy to do with the correct tool (rent-able but check the price at big box store).
Make sure you get exterior plywood so it has water proof glue in it. No OSB or pressboard please
Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I would use either the laminate ....... My personal opinion of the 12" squares is that they show the seams after some time.
I completely agree! My father in law installed 12" vinyl tiles in a fifth wheel he use to own and he was very unhappy with the results. We have installed laminate flooring in our motorhome and we have nothing but good thing to say about it.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #22

i was leaning towards the laminate due to that whats in my house to and i agree that it holds up real well and looks good. i was going to go with exterior plywood, iv dealt with a flat bed trailer that the guy got a good deal on osb so he used that and it didnt even last a year before it was all swelled and falling apart due to water. the plumbing has been replaced in the trailer one before and it has all 1/2 inch copper pipe in it now.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchek91 View Post
i was leaning towards the laminate due to that whats in my house to and i agree that it holds up real well and looks good. i was going to go with exterior plywood, iv dealt with a flat bed trailer that the guy got a good deal on osb so he used that and it didnt even last a year before it was all swelled and falling apart due to water. the plumbing has been replaced in the trailer one before and it has all 1/2 inch copper pipe in it now.
Whoa Nelly!! I love and have laminate floors in my home too.. but I think it is way too heavy for a trailer. Please remember to consider weight while picking out your paneling too... most of it these days is merely a picture of wood applied to pressboard which is heavy. Home Depot has Luan that isn't too costly and is real wood.

If you aren't careful, you will end up with a trailer that started out at 3500lbs or so dry weight ... to one that is tipping the scales at 5000 lbs dry weight.

One thing you might consider is that Epoxy Garage floor paint. I've seen it used a few times and it comes in a few colors now too. It's very durable.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaCub View Post

Whoa Nelly!! I love and have laminate floors in my home too.. but I think it is way too heavy for a trailer. Please remember to consider weight while picking out your paneling too... most of it these days is merely a picture of wood applied to pressboard which is heavy. Home Depot has Luan that isn't too costly and is real wood.

If you aren't careful, you will end up with a trailer that started out at 3500lbs or so dry weight ... to one that is tipping the scales at 5000 lbs dry weight.

One thing you might consider is that Epoxy Garage floor paint. I've seen it used a few times and it comes in a few colors now too. It's very durable.
If you do the math the added weight is not too much at all. Not to say that it isn't too much for his specific TT, but it worked out fine on our (I did take weight into consideration).
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #25

If you are buying pex on the roll uncoil it and let it warm in the sun for awhile. It will be much easier to work with. If you are replacing vent covers might want to look in to some maxx air vents. I finally got around to putting them on my trailer this spring and love them. I can leave my vents open while in storage, camp, or going down the road and don't have to worry about rain getting in.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
If you do the math the added weight is not too much at all. Not to say that it isn't too much for his specific TT, but it worked out fine on our (I did take weight into consideration).
Good! I was just pointing out the obvious to a new "used" TT owner, I guess. Or is it that obvious? I think a MH with a little extra weight is not as big of a deal as it is with a trailer, considering how excessive weight and a poorly balanced load can cause all kinds of fishtailing etc.... I guess it's for the OP to decide.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #27

Pex is usually available in 20' sticks from a supply house. If you are going to use crimp rings, just be sure that you buy the correct PEX. Some is made for expansion, such as Uponor/Wirsbo, while others are made for crimp joints and yet others can handle both. PEX is a good option, I would opt for the more expensive brass fittings and crimp joints if it is feasible. If you know a plumber that runs PEX you might be able to borrow the crimp tool for the weekend. I would advise against SharkBite or push on type fittings if possible as many times they are in places where you can not see them.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #28

Looks just like my Ideal!

Hi, I know this post is older but maybe you will find my reply anyway. I got excited when I saw your post cause your Ideal is identical to mine. Mine is a 77, at least that's what the pink slip says. Here is a link that says that after 1978 the California made Ideal trailers were moved to Idaho and changed name to Ideal of Idaho. So if that is true, and yours says Ideal of Idaho inside maybe it is a 78 or later. Here is the link: 1977 Ideal Price, 1977 Ideal Values & 1977 Ideal Specs | NADAguides
If you want I can show you interior photos of mine. We replaced floor with wood planks and was easy and looks great.
PS I started an Ideal trailer facebook page. We have about 90 members now