Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2019, 09:31 PM   #57

Ford is not lying. You can tow a flat bed trailer with bricks loaded over the axles that weigh the tow rating. You can tow the tow rating at 35 mph too.

What you can not do is tow a big non-areodynamic flat sided travel trailer at 72 mph on the freeway with wind and tractor trailers and expect the truck to comfortably control it. An 8,800 lb travel trailer would push a little F-150 all over the place. Notice every new design of trucks increases the wheelbase. This is to help control trailers.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #58

Thumbs up TT weight calculater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlontheGo View Post
HI, We are new to purchasing an RV and researching everything. We have also been checking out the towing weight, hitch and payload issues. I found a website called Changing Gears http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
for calculating what our truck can tow. Has anyone else used this calculator?
I reviewed the cited webpage. I have not tried to use it. The inputs to the calculations are excellent. The apparent flexibility is great. It looks to me to be an excellent source.

Be sure to read the whole page so you understand the limitations of some combinations of inputs. It will sometimes calculate results on much too limited input.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:48 PM   #59

Thanks for checking the calculator. There seems to be a lot of items to consider. I just want to take off and go already. Patience is not one of my stronger attributes. Thank goodness my husband is.
GirlontheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlontheGo View Post
HI, We are new to purchasing an RV and researching everything. We have also been checking out the towing weight, hitch and payload issues. I found a website called Changing Gears http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
for calculating what our truck can tow. Has anyone else used this calculator?
The problem with using these calculators BEFORE you buy a trailer is that the trailer manufacturer does not provide real-world tongue weight. I suggest doubling whatever tongue weight is specified by the manufacturer, and using that weight in the calculator. That will get you closer to real-world results.
FiddleMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #61

We started from scratch last year and bought a 2019 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS which I believe is similar in size to what you're considering. We've found the size to be "all that we need and nothing we don't."

We tow with a GMC Sierra 1500, rated for 9,600 pounds...but that rating is just one of several that you must pay attention to. We stopped at a CAT scale prior to our "big spring trip" (six weeks/7,000 miles), full battle rattle, and were 250 pounds overweight on the truck's back axle. The trailer only weighed 5,500 pounds so I shifted things around to remove weight from the truck and we had no problems. The point being, of course, that towing capacity is one rating, total weight of the truck itself and all the stuff in it is a second rating, each truck axle has its own rating and last, your tires will also have a load rating. Of all these ratings, the one where we have the most over-capacity is the tow rating; 9,600 pounds versus an actual loaded trailer weight of 5,500 pounds.

I believe Pennsylvania is hilly, to say the least. You'll need to decide if you're comfortable with your engine revving up much closer to its redline than you usually see...and staying there while you climb the grades. Out in New Mexico this past spring, my 5.3l GMC would occasionally spring up to and stay over 4,000 RPM in order to maintain 55-65 mph on some lengthy grades with a very stiff headwind. The truck was within its capacities, but I was at the edge of my comfort zone.

As for brands, it is my belief that none of them are "good", more that some brands are significantly "less bad" than others. Our Winnebago has not had any significant quality issues, but it was very obviously built as cheaply as possible. Examples: the water tank vent hose was too long, too thin, and kinked completely shut. Screws left over from manufacturing just floating around behind the cabinets. Sawdust in most nooks and crannies from construction. A high quality operation would at least check for these things before shipping. I have noticed some of the apparently more knowledgeable people on YouTube seem to have a preference for Grand Design. But also in some of their videos they're getting their rigs repaired for major issues; refrigerator not working, exterior hatches that don't lock shut, etc.

As for weather, we too prefer the shoulder seasons and we prefer to boondock. Our furnace does an okay job of keeping the rig warm, but at the cost of battery power. To stay warm in cold weather takes energy -- either from hookups or an upgraded electrical system, which I've installed. I'll add that we have two 30 pound propane tanks that I believe are sufficient. It's the electrical capacity to run the furnace off grid that needs extra attention. We also found having a dehumidifier that works in cooler temps to be a key contributor to our comfort, but at the cost of 400 more watts per hour.

As for water and tank capacities, that's way too subjective. On average, a human needs three quarts a day to survive...but nobody wants just "survival rations" when recreating.

Hope that helps.

Jim
Old 09-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #62

A lot of good information here. I move a 29’ TT to from a seasonal site every for elderly neighbors. They have an F150 like yours. The 1st I pulled with their Husky hitch and was not happy . Returning I used the Equalizer 4 point in my garage, much better but no fun. The 3rd year I started using my truck, a 1 ton. Surely overkill but much better than being killed.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #63

Happy with ORV 24RKS

I downgraded from a 36' DP to a 24' TT w/one slide; the living space is just slightly less. After researching I looked for a used ORV or Northwood Arctic Fox). Not finding many of either I ponied up for a new ORV and am 98% happy. It has high ground clearance, 16" tires (which can later be upgraded to truck LT tires), 80 gallons FW, sleeps 6, real sized queen bed (not short), super insulation, upgraded suspension, AND much better resale if I ever need to. Empty it was just under 7000 and down the road is about 8500 with 800 TW. Overall length is 28'. I bought a cheaper hitch and it works if you don't mind leveraging the spring bars in and out of place. Wished I gone for the Blue Ox WD hitch as it is much easier to hook up.

AS for your truck with a tow capacity of 8800, well that's not much in the real world so if you have to use that one shoot for a 20' trailer or 22'. Remember that the lightweight ones cannot have much insulation and a lighter (flimsy?) frame.

Happy hunting!
LHCDryHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #64

Your hitch is going to be the most important item. Get the best one you can. It will keep the TT behind you nice and straight. I've climbed your mountains a few times going to Massachusetts. Some are tough. Had a Chevy 1500 and 18' clipper that struggled to get over. Now I have a 2500 Ram and 35 footer and have no trouble. Engine is also important in the weight factor.
Unless your boondocking you're ok have water and power at campgrounds, so tank size is not as big an issue. We have 30 gal for water and 40 each for black and grey, never had problem. With 6 people you might want to find parks bathroom just for convienence. Net you won't be spending much time inside when traveling with family. So much to see, so little time. Enjoy
Lee53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #65

Forest River Owners Club
We had a 2014 Freedom Express 246 RKS. Liked most things about it but it is definitely not designed to accommodate 6 people. It is also not very well insulated and struggled to keep it warm in 30 to 40 degree weather. Pretty much useless in freezing temps. It also was too much trailer to tow with my F-150. Had a lot of “white knuckle” experiences before giving up and looking for a heavier duty TV. Went to a Ram 2500 diesel and was very comfortable pulling it in any weather and any terrain. Now we have moved up to a 33’ 5th wheel and LOVE it. Moral to this story is you should buy within your budget and weight limits then expect to upgrade either your TT or your TV or both within a short time. Good luck.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:37 PM   #66

Most TTS that state sleeps 6 figure 2 or 4 are children. Check the size of bunks or table sleeping for adults.
My 5er says it sleeps 6 and could 6 adults. It is 41’ long with 2 sofas that make into a queen. Even with 1 1/2 baths our rule is it only sleeps 2.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSteele View Post
Hello everyone on this fantastic forum!

You are the ones my wife and I need to hear from.

We are lining up to buy our first pull behind travel trailer.

[ snip ]

God bless!!

Michael and Karen

Find one in your range to rent.

Go camp for a week.

What you discover will far exceed anything you might hear from us.

Good luck
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #68

Guest Room = Tent

Hello,

First thing first. Guest room = Tent
Most CGs will let you put a tent at the RV site for your kids and or Gkids etc.

Its more fun for all parties.

Convertible sofa is just that convertible, dinette is same issue. Bed is the real bed. Bunkbeds are more comfortable as one piece foam mattress. But nothing like being able to sleep in a tent with privacy etc.

Trailer then get a weight distribution hitch for added stability and safety.

Try to remain well within the weight limits for safety of your own and those around you.

If you want to run a bed and breakfast they find a nice place and buy one!! That is what I tell my wife, yes we right sized several times from sleeping capacity ranging from 4 to 9 and now down to 2 plus a 3 person tent guest room!

I have come to believe that I cannot take people camping they have to come camping with us, a caravan of friends provides independence as well as company.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:20 AM   #69

Welcome to RVing

Welcome.

I bought my first RV 23 years ago. It was a 24 foot travel trailer. The tow vehicle was a 1997 Ram 4x4 with a 5.3 liter V8, rated at 200 hp and 300 ftp torque. The tow rating was 8000 lbs. The trailer, I believe, was rated around 3,500 net and 5,500 gross. I had a lot of stuff in the trailer and when I towed it on the interstate, my maximum speed was around 65 mph. Because a TT is just a large, aluminum box, it also puts up a lot of wind resistance. Rule of thumb is to keep your trailer GVWR at 2/3 to 3/4 of your towing capacity. You will need the headroom on the highway for your tow vehicle.

I lived part-time during the week in my 24 foot TT. My work location was 65 miles from home and commuting 130 miles each day got old very quick. The 24 TT fit my budget and my needs. After putting all the crap in it to make it my 2nd home during the week, it was barely big enough for me. I think 2 people could have lived in it without killing each other - 6 would be a huge stretch unless they are only sleeping in the trailer and spending the rest of the waking hours outside.

My advice is this. If this is a transient RV, which will server for a few years, before moving on to something bigger and better than go with the 24-26 footer. If you plan to take 4-6 family or friends out regularly, go with something bigger. In Pennsylvania you are going to need to winterize your trailer. We don't have that issue down here in Florida.

The rest, you will learn as you go. If your trailer is new, it will come with an owners manual and you can Google the rest. If your trailer is used, you might be able to find an owner's PDF document out on the internet. Again, Google the rest, because there is a lot of information out there on the web.

Good luck and happy RVing.
vadertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #70

Welcome to the wonderful world of RV’ing! The manufacturer says my 33’ 5th wheel will sleep 6, I full time RV & my 2 sons will stay with me and my shepherd dog ever so often. The trailer gets real small real quick! I couldn’t imagine 6 people in a 25’ - 28’ TT , it would look like a clown car with that many.
Frost31720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving