Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 02:10 AM   #1

New to the TT world

I just took possession of my 2014 coachman clipper ultralight TT. I have a few questions. It's going to be stored at a friends house and I won't he around it but maybe every few months or so. I don't expect him to check up on it much.

Questions:
1. Does the battery need to be discounted? I won't use it but maybe 3-5 times per year. And maybe will sit unused for a few months at a time.
2. Cover, is it recommended to cover it w a cover or tarp? It's going to sit in SoCal desert. Wheels, tires, paint ok?
3. Anything else I should know?

Thanks all

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #2

Get screens to cover at least the furnace vents.
I would D/C the battery. The converter on it might float the battery, but won't desulfate it and would probably boil the water out eventually.
DEFINITELY cover it. Sun will kill that thing fast.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

I've heard that covering it completely would cause moisture and do more harm. Is that correct? I though about just a blue tarp from tree to shed and over the TT.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
I just took possession of my 2014 coachman clipper ultralight TT. I have a few questions. It's going to be stored at a friends house and I won't he around it but maybe every few months or so. I don't expect him to check up on it much. Questions: 1. Does the battery need to be discounted? I won't use it but maybe 3-5 times per year. And maybe will sit unused for a few months at a time. 2. Cover, is it recommended to cover it w a cover or tarp? It's going to sit in SoCal desert. Wheels, tires, paint ok? 3. Anything else I should know? Thanks all

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-362850707.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	505.9 KB
ID:	46853

Old 09-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #5

...can a mod delete my last two post here? I tried adding a pic to the original post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-99884379.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	505.9 KB
ID:	46854  

Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #6

There are 2 schools of thought on covering it.
I started covering trailers, it is outside, after one windy winter and the marks the cover left (I get the wind up the valley facing north west) I wax and polish before winter but no cover.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #7

If you don't cover, you need to wash/wax sides and wash/treat the roof very often to keep it in good shape.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #8

Ok thanks, I might go w a tarp above head but still wax it up maybe every season. I'll look into products to use, thanks

Old 09-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #9

The SoCal desert is dry, moisture is not a problem there. I cover mine in the desert as the sun just kills everything. Make sure its on tight so it won't blow off. Cover your tires also as they'll weather check a lot sooner if they are exposed to the sun. Your batteries will self discharge even if disconnected. If not disconnected then you will have phantom loads inside your TT (clocks, smoke detectors, etc) that will run it dry. I remove mine take them home and then charge them every 4 weeks and then just before I put them in my TT for a trip. One of the most common failures is dead batteries from no servicing while in storage.
Read all about how to use your refridge before you go. It will take a full day to cool down and longer if you put room temperature cans, bottles and food in it. The food will spoil before it gets cool if you don't do it right.
Now, go out an enjoy your new toy! You'll love doing it!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #10

covering trailer

You must use a cover that is made for travel trailers. Such as ADCO. Blue tarps will not breathe and do damage to your trailer. Search the internet for a good buy and also the right material for your climate. This will be some of the best money spent. As mentioned also get tire covers. Covers for trailers are on sale this time of year.