Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #15

you could take a ride to west boylston mass. tp Flagg RV, i just bought

a keystone from them, had a very good expereience.

sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #16
Ford Super Duty Owner
What I'm going to tell you you won't want to hear but it's the truth. First of all if your TV (tow vehicle) can safely tow 2,000 lbs never buy a TT that is more than 80% of your max or in this case 1,600 lbs. Just because you can TOW 2,000 lbs does not mean you can STOP 2,000 lbs. You need a good margin of safety.

98% of the time TT's are built on the edge of destruction. We had one TT that had a max rating of 7,000# and it had two axles that were rated at 3,000#. That's 1,000# under capacity. The tires were very close to the max on their combined load rating. Again no margin for safety.

There are no shocks on 98% of TT's. The suspension systems just bounces up and down over every bump and dip with nothing to dampen the motion. That is transferred to the TV and makes them harder to pull and more prone to trailer sway. The brakes are usually drum and marginal at best.

You are required by the manufacturer to service the wheel bearings, rotate the tires and adjust the brakes every 12 months or 12,000 miles. No other device being driven down our roads requires that much service annually. That is the TT manufacturers OUT when something goes wrong. They relieve themselves of all responsibilities by telling the owner to do it. If something fails it's your fault.

Why do they build like this?? Probably greater than 70% to 80% of all TT's sold will within a few years set next to the barn or house 95% of the time. Once the thrill is gone they set. Once the kids get to big they don't want to go. Or if you're lucky you sell and get a bigger one because you are in it more and the first one got to small.

We had tents, pop-ups then two MH's. Then we down sized to a 29' TT. That lasted one year. Then we got a nicer 29' TT but is also had the same issues with tires, bearings, and brakes. I was not comfortable pulling it with the F-150. We could have pulled 10,000# and were at 7,000# so that was OK. It got totaled by a dump truck on it's maiden voyage (his fault). Nobody was hurt. We got another just like it then the DW suggested we get a MH and I was ready. So we got a 31' WBGO and would never go back to a TT. It's just not out life style.

Yes there are some negatives with TT's but also a lot of positives. If you don't get to big of a one and stay somewhat close to home you'll have a lot of fun. It's when you get a unit that is marginal and then try to tour the US all summer that things break and you get discouraged. It's good for kids and families as well.

We seldom watch TV. We read a lot and I try to fish when I can. Just be careful when buying. Expect that you'll have to do most of the repair work and there will be a lot because they are not built well. Most of them have a lot of eye candy but not much quality.

Actually I'd look at used. The price will be great. The quality will be good because the first owner probably fixed all the bad stuff. It may already have new and better tires. When you decide to sell in a few years you'll stand a better chance of getting your $$$$ out of it.

On our first TT we took it to FL. It had about 1,800 miles on it when we got back. All the suspension (8) bushings (plastic) were shot. I was shocked. I replaced them with wet bolts (greased) bushings myself so it was cheap to fix but with only 1,800 miles. That's what I mean by low/poor quality and expecting it to set next to the barn in a few years.

I told you you didn't want to read what I had to say. "Just the facts Mam, just the facts."

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #17
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Please think about a popup trailer. It will be much more towable with your vehicle than any hybrid. Popups provide a lot of space for the weight, and kids need space on rainy days. We generally added a portapotty that was "screened" with a shower curtain attached to the ceiling. We towed 4 kids and various popups through most of the Midwest and west for many years. We only got a hard sided trailer when most of the kids were up and gone.

Of course a lot depends on where you want to go. We like mountains and we wanted a lot of spare towing capacity to safely and comfortably handle long climbs.
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240 RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #18
Spent a lot of years in the aircraft QA business, only toured one RV plant (supposedly) one of the better ones, but looked at lots of auto plants -Bottom line, in my opinion, is RVs are just not as well put together as cars produced on an automated assembly line - Our sample of 2 MHs and 3 TTs supports this. If you are not willing to do some of your own maintenance and repairs, owning an RV may be a struggle for some families.
08 Trail-Lite 8230
2011 Silverado 1500
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #19
Originally Posted by marielle View Post
I am so excited to be part of this site! Hoping to learn about this new camping world

Our family has decided to look at travel trailers. We have never bought a camper before. We have used tents and LOVED the camping experience. We have two children and are ready to make the purchase. We need something light as our current truck is only a small toyota. The Hybrids seem pretty cool.

We were ready to purchase a Freedom express 22DSX travel trailer, but I just read some horrible reviews with the coachmen brand. But I like that the walls are built with a "plastic" instead of wood so they don't rot, and grow mold/mildew.

I have heard good reviews about the spree escape and the sportsmen classic. Not to mention the price seemed much lower.

We have also been working with the same large dealership in New Hampshire. Should I shop around with dealerships? I have heard some bad dealer reviews also (not about the one we are working with).

So scary, cause you can't test drive. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

My honest opinion is that once you see how a travel trailer is constructed, you'll realize that is isn't rock science. If your handy with tools, you can not only repair any issues, but also improve the engineering. You can probably fix and enhance the quality of almost every aspect of your trailer with the following:
Box of self tapping SS screws
Box of wood screws
Box of finishing screws
Rubber roof sealant
Jb weld
And a power screwdriver
RV: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL Fifth Wheel
TV: 2016 Ford F450 Platinum Crew Cab 6.7l 440hp/860tq. 31200lb Max Tow
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #20
Hi Marielle, I can relate to your worries because there seem to be mixed reviews on every make of RV. And some are actually scary! Our months of looking and research took us to a Camplite TT (made by Livinlite) that we are very happy with. It's made of all aluminum (no wood at all so nothing will ever rot), very lightweight and only 7 ft wide so there's less wind drag and oh so easy to tow with our mid-size SUV (Jeep GC, diesel) getting 17-18 mpg. Ours is 21 ft long and plenty of room. It's a little more money than some TTs made by other manufacturers. We found ours used on RVtrader.com and saved a third of the cost. Check out the reviews and you'll see what I mean.
The only downside is that once you make the purchase, all that fun shopping is over.
BryandBre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #21
You might check out RV Consumer Group for ratings on the TT you wish to purchase.

IMO it is worth the money to get the ratings.

MicLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #22
My Advice:

You have come to the right place. Many on here can advise you on almost every faction of RVing. A friendly place to get advice when you need it. My 2 centavos is a popup is a great place to start.

Have fun. Mike
2015 Flagstaff Super V 26VFKSS
2013 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 CTD
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 260BH
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #23
Take a look at the Venture Sport Trek 320VIK..... it is a great camper and it's made on the assembly line of KZ brand.
Dojo1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:20 AM   #24
Outdoors RV Owners Club
buy used to try it out..

I would recommend you buy a used pop up trailer to try it out for a year or 2. It will be cheaper for you , you will get a better feel for what you like and don't like and it will give you fun times camping which is what you really want.
I agree that most trailers end up sitting in yard or driveway alot of the time and many people buy new and then sell within 4 or 5 years because they don't use it enough or its not big enough or...
So why not get a deal on a something a few years old ? If you have to fix a few things you will learn how to do it or who does good rv repair work.
my 2 cents...
I wish you the best and hope you and your family have great times camping!
KKTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #25
thank you for your advise

So we did it! We bought a new 2015 Flagstaff Shamrock! It's adorable! 30 feet when the front and back queen size beds pop out. It has a slide out and a third queen size bed that pops out!

We tried out this weekend! Kids had a blast and my husband said the truck pulled the trailer nicely! Easy on hills and felt good going down hills.

I took all of your advise - so wonderful to hear from experienced campers! We looked at easily 11 dealers within MA, NH, ME, and Conn and researched every possible type. We were close to buying a popup, but then found ours and we couldn't beat the price, the size, and all the extra options the dealer through in.

I think our family would have fit nicely in a pop up, but after this weekend, I realized how nice it is for the kids to have their own "space" to get away when they needed too!

Here's to years of camping and many wonderful family memories!
marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #26
Congrats on the new camper.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #27
Congrats, can't wait to see some pictures of that Shamrock.

2015 Gateway 3650BH
2005 F250 CC 4x4
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote

travel, travel trailer