Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New to TT

Just arrived here from the Monaco Forum. Sold MH and looking at TT to replace it. I have a 1997 GMC 3500 Dooly w/454 engine, 10,000 lbs. GVWR. I am looking for a TT that I can tow cross country without worrying about overload. Have no children, just wife and dog so do not need bunkhouse. Would like King bed, 50 amp service and 2 a/c. Always purchase used and would like to stay at $10,000 or less (not manditory). Give me some ideas.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #2

Your requirements are going to be tough to find in a TT. Most TT's are setup for family camping. Buy you can find them but they are going to be in the range of 35 feet long. Have you considered a fifth wheel instead? Good room with shorter on the ground overall length and easier towing.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Your requirements are going to be tough to find in a TT. Most TT's are setup for family camping. Buy you can find them but they are going to be in the range of 35 feet long. Have you considered a fifth wheel instead? Good room with shorter on the ground overall length and easier towing.
Thanks for the response. Yes, I am trying to decide if a 5th wheel will better meet my needs than a TT. Is a 36 ft. TT more trouble to tow than a 36 ft. 5th wheel? I am open to all suggestions.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Personally there is no way I would tow a TT over about 25 feet again. Just me, but they are simply too much work. Towing my 36 foot fiver with the right truck I can run all day and arrive rested.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 30 ft TT now. Just went up from a 28 ft. I will never go bigger. There are lots of used <32 ft 5th's that will give you a shorter OAL than my 30 ft bumper pull. The 5th's are heavier but have more storage and room inside.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 AM   #6

You're towing with a dually, don't worry too much about having a tt that's too big. There just aren't that many out there that are too big, unless it's a park model. I personally am considering an Open Range Journeyer. Open Range has a few with king beds too. Now I don't know alot about the brand, I'm still researching them myself. My Coachman has served me well, I'm just looking to get rid of the bunkhouse and have more living area. Now I've looked at a number of 5er's, but I just can't convince myself to give up the bed of my truck. I can't haul a golf cart with a 5er taking up my bed.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the responses. I drove a 37 ft. MH pulling a vehicle for 6 yrs. so I do know about length. I do not cherish going down the road with 65 ft. of vehicles and campers. Going to the Tampa RV Show today so should get a good idea of what I am up against.