Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 03:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
I've owned a 315 since 2016. Your tongue weight will very likely be well over 1200lbs. Forget about the 1065lbs advertised by Grand Design, it's hype. In your paperwork you should have a weight sheet showing tongue, axle and side to side weights for your specific trailer as it left the factory.That's totally empty with no propane or battery. All your storage is ahead of the axles. My '17, which was 300 lbs lighter than the '20, ran well over 1400lbs with no water on board. Some folks have reported tongue weights over 1700lbs.
Great trailer, great truck, don't skimp on the hitch.
Thank You. I purchased an Equalizer Trunion style hitch with 1400lb bars.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 03:47 AM   #16

100 grand in new truck and trailer. Don’t skimp now! Propride or Hensley and have peace of mind knowing you have the best.
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #17

Good Morning Folks,

Observations after day 1:

Picked up trailer yesterday and got it home

Tows great
All systems work except the front lift jack(Stromberg Carlson 3500).
Worked fine at the dealer while plugged in. Got home and it kept tripping its internal circuit breaker, had to remove the cover and lower manually. Need to investigate, dealer say bring it in. Day one...not off to a good start.

Second, ran fridge for about 4 hours and heater for about 10 minutes. Did not plug it in last night and batts show 2/3 now.

Is that normal? My rv I could go days and batts were fine. Trailer is a Norcold vs Dometic in rv 12cf vs 6.

Other than that it looks good so far

Battery set up is two gc2 6v batts.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Good Morning Folks,

Observations after day 1:

Picked up trailer yesterday and got it home

Tows great
All systems work except the front lift jack(Stromberg Carlson 3500).
Worked fine at the dealer while plugged in. Got home and it kept tripping its internal circuit breaker, had to remove the cover and lower manually. Need to investigate, dealer say bring it in. Day one...not off to a good start.

Second, ran fridge for about 4 hours and heater for about 10 minutes. Did not plug it in last night and batts show 2/3 now.

Is that normal? My rv I could go days and batts were fine. Trailer is a Norcold vs Dometic in rv 12cf vs 6.

Other than that it looks good so far

Battery set up is two gc2 6v batts.

Any thoughts?
In warranty failures:
Yes, They are rarely tested and controlled as well as cars and trucks. Don't forget to test everything else including summer things, like AC and black tank flush. Be alert for signs of leaks both inside and out.

Your idea to test 12 volt performance and learn your new RV's systems is a great one.

Battery capacity:
Different systems behave differently. It would be good to have a better quality battery monitor so you can see the load on the batteries. They can easily be different with different systems.
Water heater control board
Furnace control board
Refrig (a lot)
Propane detector
Inverter idle current
etc.

Battery voltage matters. It is totally different under different conditions. State of Charge (SOC) meters that show only fraction of charge are extremely limited.

Static voltage (neither charging nor discharging for a while) will reveal the SOC of your battery. 1/3 after one night may mean appliance is drawing load, battery was not fully charged, defective battery, or other issue.

You can not easily tell from a fractional SOC meter found in many TT's. You must wait about 4 hours for the battery to stabilize after stopping charging to get reasonable readings.

A battery under load will read voltages lower than static. The greater the load, the lower it will read. A battery being charged will read higher than static. In this case it will read the charging profile of the battery charger.

A high quality battery monitor will try to compensate for the different conditions. Some are better than others at calculating actual SOC. Many need to be calibrated or set up to give correct readings.

Find out the amp hour (AH) capacity of each 6 volt battery.
Find out current draw (amps).
Divide AH capacity of one 6 volt battery by current draw.
Equals approximate number of hours until batteries are dead.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #19

There are lots of articles you can search for the cover power management of all sorts. Here is one.
Amp Hours - How Long Will My RV Batteries Last Off The Grid? - RV LIFE
Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #20

Thanks folks. I was a bit surprised. It was connected to 50 amps when I picked it up and charging the batts (hopefully) during my 85 mile drive home.

Parked it and did not plug it in as my home only has 30 amp plug and I didn't have a dog bone.

Next morning battery indicator showed 2/3. And I agree the trailer system is far from accurate.

I guess I am just used to my rv where I can easily go a week on batts.

Some notable differences
Rv has Dometic 6cf fridge
Trailer has 12cf Norcold(no ice maker)

Both have dual gc2 battery setups.

I have the adapter now and it has been plugged in since yesterday.

Will unplug and see what I got.

I did note the converter fan seems to run all the time. I am unfamiliar with WFCO converters. My rv has a PD 9160, and it has never made a noise at all, so, still getting used to it and just looking.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 11-18-2019, 06:51 AM   #21

My WFCO fan runs when ever something is drawing 12 volt power. The fan will run for hours charging the batteries and only switch off in the final charging stage.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
My WFCO fan runs when ever something is drawing 12 volt power. The fan will run for hours charging the batteries and only switch off in the final charging stage.
Thanks. The fan did stop running. I suspect the batteries were not fully charged, plus I was running the fridge on ac, the tv, and one air, so I was working it.

Next morning it seemed to settle down.

Thanks,
Bill

Tags
purchase, trailer