Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #1

Talking New Travel Trailer

We already own a 1997 Aerolite 23 ft. travel trailer. It is time to get a new one. We decided on a new one because we can get it with a 144 month loan and pay about $300 per month for it.

We have been towing the Aerolite with a Dodge Durango, but in a week we are getting a 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum from my wife's boss. We are not 100% sure what the tow rating is on the Ford, but we believe it is over 10,000 lbs. We will find out more about this when we take ownership of the truck.

I will now give you guys and gals our Needs and Wants so you can help me narrow this down.

We have

Our Areolite (827 I believe) camper that we would trade in when the time comes (I believe we will be LUCKY to get $500 for it, it is pretty beat up)
All of our camping things. We have been doing this seriously (5 - 6 times a year including a full week every year with family) since 2012 and have most of what we need already.
A sway bar from our 1997 trailer that we can transfer over.
Trailer Brakes in both the Durango and the Ford

Needs

Under 8,000 lbs so we can put in up to 2,000 lbs of gear and ourselves
Queen size bed for the us two adults
Bathroom that is next to the main bedroom (I included a picture from ONE of the trailers we are looking at to give you a floor plan idea of this)
Under $32,000
Two more beds, one that can fit a 6'7" son we have
More room for our cooking utensils
A microwave that only needs to be used when we are plugged in
In the main bedroom, four 12 volt or USB plug-ins for my wife and my phones and tablets for when we are not plugged into 110 volts.
A place in the main area to plug in tablets and phones to charge (12 volt or USB would be best for when we are not plugged into 110 volts)

Wants (not absolutely necessary, but would be nice)

Outdoor Kitchen
A rack on the back for at least 3 bicycles
A door instead of a curtain to separate the main bedroom from the rest of the camper

I am sure I forgot some things, but this is what I can think of right now. After I remember these things, I will update or reply to this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forest River 28VRBS.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	127773  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #2

Just as important as the weight of the trailer, you need to understand the weight that the Ford can carry. You'll run out of hauling capacity long before you reach the towing capacity on 1/2 ton pickups. Most 1/2 ton trucks will be limited to 1,200- 1,500 lbs of hauling capacity so you'll need to figure out the tongue weigh when the trailer is loaded with batteries, propane tanks, water, clothes, kitchen items, etc, etc. Add that to the weight you'll be caring in the truck, passengers, pets, WDH, items in the bed, etc. NOW- is that total weight LESS than the hauling capacity of the truck? If so, all is well. If not, maybe you need a different truck!
I wouldn't buy a truck until I understand the weights of the RV I want. You could find out you have a total mis-match between what the trailer weights are and what the truck can handle! This can lead to unsafe situation or having to downsize the trailer ( to one you really don't want) so do your homework here.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #3

Update

Thank You RSchleder. I will keep that in mind and check out the trailer weight and the truck carrying capacity before we commit to a purchase of a TT.

UPDATE
We also have the towing/hauling package on both of the vehicles.

Mike
Old 05-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #4

Update 2

Needs
Minimal carpet (Linolium, laminate, whatever)
Wooden with slide drawers (no plastic parts)

Wants
Electric Awning (with weight distribution for when it rains)
Electric Jack on the front
Cloth fabric furniture because of our two dogs
Self Leveling corner Jacks
Old 05-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

Update 3

Wants
Lights on the main bedroom bed headboard for reading
Glass shower door instead of curtain
Old 05-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not saying it won't but you are asking a lot from a 1/2 ton.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A twelve year loan? Will you be full-timing?
Old 05-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
300 x 144 = 43,200.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #9

jacks

i don't recall seeing self leveling jacks on a TT.

Jim
Old 05-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Just as important as the weight of the trailer, you need to understand the weight that the Ford can carry. You'll run out of hauling capacity long before you reach the towing capacity on 1/2 ton pickups. Most 1/2 ton trucks will be limited to 1,200- 1,500 lbs of hauling capacity so you'll need to figure out the tongue weigh when the trailer is loaded with batteries, propane tanks, water, clothes, kitchen items, etc, etc. Add that to the weight you'll be caring in the truck, passengers, pets, WDH, items in the bed, etc. NOW- is that total weight LESS than the hauling capacity of the truck? If so, all is well. If not, maybe you need a different truck!
I wouldn't buy a truck until I understand the weights of the RV I want. You could find out you have a total mis-match between what the trailer weights are and what the truck can handle! This can lead to unsafe situation or having to downsize the trailer ( to one you really don't want) so do your homework here.
1,000lbs is a half-ton. I'm not sure why some models are still called that when they can carry much more than that. My 2008 F150 had a cargo capacity of 1800lbs. He's looking at a 2010. Most newer F150 models have cargo capacities over 2,000lbs so they are technically 1 ton vehicles.

Still, if the trailer is over 8000lbs and you plan on adding 2,000lbs of cargo, you would be pushing the limits of even newer models. If you're getting a good deal on the 2010 F150 then your limit would be a 5-6,000lb trailer with 2,000lbs of cargo (which is a lot).
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
1,000lbs is a half-ton. I'm not sure why some models are still called that when they can carry much more than that. My 2008 F150 had a cargo capacity of 1800lbs. He's looking at a 2010. Most newer F150 models have cargo capacities over 2,000lbs so they are technically 1 ton vehicles.

Still, if the trailer is over 8000lbs and you plan on adding 2,000lbs of cargo, you would be pushing the limits of even newer models. If you're getting a good deal on the 2010 F150 then your limit would be a 5-6,000lb trailer with 2,000lbs of cargo (which is a lot).
I do agree with your point here. The old 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton sizing of todays pickup's is pretty misleading. The truck manufacturers call them 1500, 2500 or 3500 trucks which drops the "ton" designation because it no longer fits the sizing/capability of the trucks being manufactured today! I believe it's us, the Public, that hangs on to the past designation (tons) of trucks that not longer fits todays situation.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #12

My 2015 F-150 can carry 1,840 lbs and is rated to tow 9,000 lbs. If it wasn't 4x4 with all those skid pans, and 36 gallon gas tank, it would probably be rated to carry over 2,000 lbs.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #13

The 2009-10 Ford F150s are the worst towing trucks for those years. 1st the 5.4 is a dog compared to everyone elses V8. 2nd and even more important is the 6sp tranny. It's got to be one of the worst trannies designed for towing. No way to lockout OD. With that much weight the tranny will be hunting for the right gear all day.
I owned a 2010 F150 XLT 5.4 4x4 3.73 gears with the Max Tow option. I had 1857lbs for payload. I towed a 31' 7300lbTT. The 5.4 was fine on flat ground. But as soon as you come to an over pass it had to shift 3-4 times to get over it.
There's also no select shift button. I really needed to be in 5th gear all day with that load. Ford improved the tranny in 2011 with the select shift.
JMHO from owning one is that anything over 6000lbs loaded will make the tranny shift back n forth all day. It's really annoying. My only fix was to get a Ram 2500 CTD.
I think you're looking at way too much TT for that truck. A platinum will have only around 12-1400lbs for payload. Not enough for passengers, cargo and tongue weight.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #14

We are thinking of getting the following RV.
https://www.kingscampers.com/rvs/201...3css-utt17147/

I believe the tow capacity for the Ford F-150 is 11,000 pounds. I don't know what the GVWR comma or the GCWR as for the F-150 yet. We will be picking up the F150 next week Thursday and then we will know what those limits are.

The trailer we're looking at is 6690 pounds. We do have a weight distribution hitch, and bars from our old camper that they will put on the newer camper for free. I will do all of the calculations before we purchase the camper.

Tags
travel, travel trailer