Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #1

New Travel Trailer Purchase

Hello,

I am trading my current Keystone Springdale and upgrading to a new 2017 Keystone Bullet Premier.

The dealer has offered the following items and I am wondering what people's thoughts are on their usefulness.

Paint/Fabric Protection for $800. They sent the details to me about it in the attachment.

the other thing they added was a $2150 extended service agreement.

I am leaning towards a now on the service agreement. but on the paint protection I am not sure. I have read about fading issues on these trailers with the fiberglass cap. Would this help alleviate this problem?

Are there home products I can use instead?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Paint and Fabric.pdf (133.4 KB, 175 views)
shanehoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanehoot View Post
Hello,

I am trading my current Keystone Springdale and upgrading to a new 2017 Keystone Bullet Premier.

The dealer has offered the following items and I am wondering what people's thoughts are on their usefulness.

Paint/Fabric Protection for $800. They sent the details to me about it in the attachment.

the other thing they added was a $2150 extended service agreement.

I am leaning towards a now on the service agreement. but on the paint protection I am not sure. I have read about fading issues on these trailers with the fiberglass cap. Would this help alleviate this problem?

Are there home products I can use instead?
First Hello and

Anything and everything they can do you can do cheaper and better if you are vested in your investment. I understand if you don't want to worry about it and would be satisfied with someone else's best effort.

If we were talking undercoat on a brand-new vehicle might think that's a good idea. If we are talking about things you might have them do and then guarantee, but they prorate it so you never really get the full benefit of the warranty, don't count on getting your full value out of it. Most of those plans aren't worth the paper their written on.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
First Hello and

Anything and everything they can do you can do cheaper and better if you are vested in your investment. I understand if you don't want to worry about it and would be satisfied with someone else's best effort.

If we were talking undercoat on a brand-new vehicle might think that's a good idea. If we are talking about things you might have them do and then guarantee, but they prorate it so you never really get the full benefit of the warranty, don't count on getting your full value out of it. Most of those plans aren't worth the paper their written on.
X2
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Total waste of money. You can wax the trailer and spray the ScotchGard for a few bucks. The service agreement will have you returning to the dealership where they will find more things you must have. Forget it!
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #5

Cap fading is air flow inside during hot storage. Open all cabinets when in storage so the air can move around and you don't get hot spots on the cap. Also wax wax wax

Double B
Southern Ontario
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 diesel crew
2014 keystone Laredo 330bh
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

Save your money.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Save your money. Dealers make a fortune on those add on items, and you can do it better yourself. Get someone to help (beer is a good enticement). They don't have any magic formulas.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
1st of all, some people do alright with extended warranties. Others do not, I did purchase one when I bought my last one. I hope I don't need it but it is there if so. So it is all opinioned, I did the outer coat protection so as I would not need to wax, here in Oregon sunny, warm days don't last long and I did not want to waste my time waxing when I could be camping. I did spray fabric protection myself. And paid to have the awnings protected. Probably a waste of money but I am happy.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #9

Is the extended service agreement an extended warranty or pre paid annual maintenance? Some extended warranties require that you pay the dealer for an inspection every year.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #10

dealer warranties/paint cloth protection

I vote NO, waste of money.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #11

Plus on the 2017 premiers the caps are painted with automotive grade paint. It shouldn't fade and wax it often like others have said. I also have a 2017. Premier
smbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #12

hocus pocus items...now you see it, now you don't...your money that is. just like a car dealer, super high mark up items for your dealers bottom line...not yours...
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #13

Your new camper comes with a one year warranty. Any major issues should be discovered and addressed during that period. If the camper structurally survives the 1st year, it would take a whole list of things to add up to $2,150. Put the money in the bank and if something breaks, you'll have the money to fix it.

Fabric protection and dealer applied paint sealants are a racket. Save your money and do it yourself if you want it done.

Tags
purchase, travel, travel trailer