Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #1

New TT Leak?

Hi. New to this forum.

I am in the process of buying a travel trailer, but have a question about a possible leak in a new 2017 model.

The only dealer close to me has four different layouts of the model I am interested in, but one fits me best. I have done a pretty good job of inspecting the trailer on the lot, and this is the only one the dealer has. Although this would be my first TT purchase, I should say that my parents owned one so I do have some knowledge about trailers.

On one interior sidewall, there is a puffed out area under the wallpaper and luan(?) about halfway down maybe 2"x3" and sticking out about 1/4". If I push on it, it goes flat against the wall. There are no other signs of water penetration on any walls, ceilings, inside cabinets or in the corners at floor level. Sorry, no photos.

This dealer is having a Fall sale and the price is extremely good. I checked, and I can't find any other models with this layout within a reasonable distance from where I live. So, do I go against my best judgement and buy it, or listen to the salesman who says it isn't water damage and they can fix it, plus I have a one year warranty (10 year roof) and they will do a complete inspection in writing?

Sorry for the long question.
ROCK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Doesn't sound like water damage however you should scroll through the owners forum on this site for that particular brand and see what other problems folks are having and what the dealer/factory is doing to help.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is probably just the vinyl wall paper with an air bubble behind it. Yes I have seen this happen due to water intrusion, but that is usually near some sort of seam - or on the ceiling where the bubble is caused by the vinyl actually acting like a dam and holding the water back.

You can test this by gently pushing the bubble back, if the wall behind it feels solid then more that likely it is just an air bubble. If the wall is not solid there are bigger problems.

To fix the air bubble you just need to do two things - get the air out and put some glue in. For a small patch you can use a syringe to add a bit of glue and also to help evacuate the air. The other approach is to make a small slit in the bubble, use a popsicle stick to spread some glue and then press it back together.

Tags
leak