Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 12:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Hubs get warm when rolling down the highway. This is not unusual. You probably have nothing to worry about if they are not so hot that you cannot touch them.

Travel trailers have a lot of wind resistance. That alone could keep you from accelerating depending on loading and grade.

Is the 20ish MPG figure while not towing?

Depending on how you like to accelerate and your preferred highway speeds, the 7ish MPG figure is not outside of any realm of possibility.

How are your tire pressures?
Tire pressure was checked before starting out. 65psi on each tire. I'll double check again in the morning, and I'll phone the dealer to see what they recommend.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 12:37 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If the TT brakes were dragging enough to effect your MPG, you would not be able to touch the brakes. They would have smoked. Your MPG loss is due to that twin turbo V6 making enough power to get the TT down the road. If you want better MPG, slow down and don't try to blast up the hills. If you are already going slow, well, I don't know. Enjoy the power and have a good time.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:44 AM   #17

What is your rear end ratio?
Old 03-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #18

Old 03-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #19

There is nothing wrong.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
There is nothing wrong.
LOL. Yup. That's right. Spoke to the dealer, and they said some warmth is normal, nothing to worry about. The F150 forums had other users getting similar towing gas mileage.

This is why we like this forum. Lots of God advice really fast. Back on the road. ....
Old 03-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen Family View Post
Yup. It really bogs down when I had it off (and when off, there was no noticeable improvement in gas mileage). TV is much happier in tow/haul.

For me, it really helps when descending a grade, it helps by me not having to brake as often or constantly.

sigpic160806_2.gif
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #22

When towing my UltraLite, I get approx 9 - 10.5 (average) MPG while cruising at 60 - 65 MPH. This is what I noticed last summer from So Cal to Texas and back.

sigpic160806_2.gif
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Tire pressure was checked before starting out. 65psi on each tire. I'll double check again in the morning, and I'll phone the dealer to see what they recommend.

Thanks
There should be a sticker somewhere on the outside that has the recommended tire pressures for the trailer. Mine is on the left side, right up near the very front.

Check every morning at an absolute minimum, or get TPMS like TST TPMS.

Before I got TPMS, I would check at least twice a day: Morning before rolling out, and after lunch before rolling again.

I think the temperature of the hubs, brakes, etc., on the trailer is not a problem. If they were too hot, hot enough to signal a problem, you definitely would not be able to touch them with a bare hand at all.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #24

Tire pressure checked when cold. Adjusted all to 62 psi, based on comments on irv2 that reported tire blowouts when inflated to max pressure.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #25

have you read the instructions of your brake controller and set it up to your TV?

There is some calibrating on some BC that after you have it tuned in you get ip to about 20 or so mph and then pull the slide or button and let the controller stop the whole rig. I would start there.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 PM   #26

Quote:

Gas mileage has gone from 20.8 mpg to 7.3 mpg. When we are going down hills with a decent downgrade the TV and rig are slowing. In the truck alone on such grades, it would speed up.
It's normal, you are feeling the effect of a significant increase in drag due to the increase in frontal area. In this case, drag at 60mph is stronger than gravity. Try a steeper hill and you won't need as much throttle.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Tire pressure checked when cold. Adjusted all to 62 psi, based on comments on irv2 that reported tire blowouts when inflated to max pressure.
Trailer tires do not blow out because they are at max pressure that is stamped on the sidewall when cold. The only adjustment you should make is if you know exactly what the PSI should be for exactly the load on the tires based on info you acquired from the tire manufacturer.

Otherwise, without knowing that info, max sidewall pressure cold, always, always.

If you didn't hear it on the following website, written by someone that actually designed tires, it very likely is not true: RV Tire Safety

If anyone gives you advice about tires and they didn't own a tire shop for more than 20 years or are not a tire designer, than you probably should not listen to it. Everyone has an opinion. Not everyone has worked in the tire business, and not all of those that have have the education and knowledge to design tires.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:29 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Trailer tires do not blow out because they are at max pressure that is stamped on the sidewall when cold. The only adjustment you should make is if you know exactly what the PSI should be for exactly the load on the tires based on info you acquired from the tire manufacturer.

Otherwise, without knowing that info, max sidewall pressure cold, always, always.

If you didn't hear it on the following website, written by someone that actually designed tires, it very likely is not true: RV Tire Safety

If anyone gives you advice about tires and they didn't own a tire shop for more than 20 years or are not a tire designer, than you probably should not listen to it. Everyone has an opinion. Not everyone has worked in the tire business, and not all of those that have have the education and knowledge to design tires.

Yes, what he said. I run mine at max 65psi cold always. Yes, the psi goes up over that when they get warm or hot and that's ok.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote