Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
Congrats!!! Nice rig!!!

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 02:01 AM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
That's one sharp looking unit Jim! Did any of what we spoke about help out?

Plenty of px with your unit and adventures are in the future I bet.

Max100TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #17

Yes. Except the roof part. The guy told me they weren't allowed to let customers go on the roof, liability? He reassured me that they just went over everything and encouraged me to go on the roof one I got home. I thought that was a little weird?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #18

Very nice!

I noticed it looks like you have it plugged in to shore power. Do you have a 30A circuit or are you converting to a 15 or 20A plug?

I just want to caution if you're running the AC on a 20A circuit because of how hot your internal wiring may get and potentially damage your AC unit.

One of those "learning experiences" I went through is by leaving my unit plugged in all summer and letting to AC run so it didn't get too hot inside. During those 90+ degree days it has to work very hard to cool and draws a lot of amps. I ended up having to pay $1k to replace the roof unit because the compressor failed on a 4-year-old Coleman Mach 15. (And then the next weekend I traded it in so go figure.)
Old 06-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.lawless View Post
Very nice!

I noticed it looks like you have it plugged in to shore power. Do you have a 30A circuit or are you converting to a 15 or 20A plug?

I just want to caution if you're running the AC on a 20A circuit because of how hot your internal wiring may get and potentially damage your AC unit.

One of those "learning experiences" I went through is by leaving my unit plugged in all summer and letting to AC run so it didn't get too hot inside. During those 90+ degree days it has to work very hard to cool and draws a lot of amps. I ended up having to pay $1k to replace the roof unit because the compressor failed on a 4-year-old Coleman Mach 15. (And then the next weekend I traded it in so go figure.)
Thanks. And I am plugged into a 20A circuit in my house. I didn't even think of that being a problem... We did run the AC a little last night while showing the neighborhood because it was HOT. I will not run it anymore until we are camping.

I guess if I plan on hooking it up at home before our trips, should I look into getting a 30A dedicated installed in my garage to plug into?

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 06-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #20

Yep, very good idea to get a dedicated 30A cir. I keep mine plugged in to a dedicated circuit and keep the A/C/Heat on all year just to keep it dry inside.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
As long as you're running only the A/C, a 20A circuit will be fine. The A/C pulls about 12 - 14 amps and won't heat up your wiring on a 20A circuit, as long as you are using a big enough extension cord. Get one with at least 12 AWG wire, and 10 would be even better. A dedicated 30 would be nice, but not a necessity, unless you're going to use the trailer for living quarters. Your money would be better spent elsewhere.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #22

I hate to disagree with anyone, but my Dometic 15k BTU AC unit is rated to pull 16A total and will do so when it's 90+ degrees out (like now in the summer). When you're connected to shore power, it's not just the AC that's running. TVs come on in standby, I have an outdoor fridge that kicks in, the batteries charge, etc. Not to mention anything else inside the house on the same strand that may be connected to that outlet. This can easily put you into dangerous territory.

I have blackened prongs on a 30A extension cord to prove it.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #23

Better to be safe than sorry for sure. I know the first plug we plugged into must have been a 15A and it tripped the breaker.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #24

I have this dedicated 30amp lockable box on my garage and it is great to have it plugged in at all times, especially in this heat wave we are having in Tennessee.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #25

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.lawless View Post
I hate to disagree with anyone, but my Dometic 15k BTU AC unit is rated to pull 16A total and will do so when it's 90+ degrees out (like now in the summer). When you're connected to shore power, it's not just the AC that's running. TVs come on in standby, I have an outdoor fridge that kicks in, the batteries charge, etc. Not to mention anything else inside the house on the same strand that may be connected to that outlet. This can easily put you into dangerous territory.

I have blackened prongs on a 30A extension cord to prove it.
I didn't think about all of that... so I'll stand corrected and say thanks for better info...
Old 06-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #26

Nice rig. You have been provided excellent member information and great ideas. Question: Am I seeing the picture correctly? In California we drive on the right side of the road (most of the time, lol) and therefore the door entry is on the right curbside. Any way you may want to checkout some of my personal videos on my experiences preparing our new TT at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPL...MhcvWVdq13JA0Q
Happy Travels!
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onstar20 View Post
Nice rig. You have been provided excellent member information and great ideas. Question: Am I seeing the picture correctly? In California we drive on the right side of the road (most of the time, lol) and therefore the door entry is on the right curbside. Any way you may want to checkout some of my personal videos on my experiences preparing our new TT at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPL...MhcvWVdq13JA0Q
Happy Travels!
LOL. I'm not sure if you are serious or pulling my leg. Either way, I actually have a door on each side of my camper. The one you see (while parked on the left side of the road) is the rear entry to the Bathroom. We also drive on the right side of the road here in Pennsylvania, I just found that particular spot in front of my house the easiest place to park since that was my first park job...lol

Thanks and I will check out your videos!

Jim