Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #1

New TT questions...

Hi All. We have been delayed in picking up our new TT. Hopefully this Thursday we will pick it up. Our Maiden Voyage is supposed to be Friday!

Ok, I have a ton of questions as to what items are essential for my first trip out? I am sure over time I will add things to my list of must haves, but I am looking at other than clothes and food, what will I NEED. (outside of sewage hose, toilet paper and Cable TV cable and White water hose.)

As for leveling and setting up my TT, I notice a lot of people use 2x4's and Blocks to level. Since I am completely NEW to all of this, how many boards/blocks should I have ready?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I use 12X12 plywood pieces, and I carry 10 of them. I suggest you spend the weekend at a full-hookup facility as close to home as possible. Make lists and go get what you need. You'll make several trips... we all did... Along with what you've mentioned, I recommend you get a water filter, a brass elbow and a short hose so you can always filter the city water coming in to the trailer. After you have all the necessities, you'll start to get some things to customize your unit... like towel holders, and so forth. Congrats on the new rig.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #3

First, Thanks for the reply!

12x12 plywood is fairly thin right? 5/8" each.. so you are able to use 2 at each jack if needed? I was thinking I might need some 4x4 or 6x6 blocks?
Old 06-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #4

I went to the local home depot and got 4 2x4x8 boards and then cut them into 2 inch by 4 inch by 4 inch pieces and then screwwed 2 together from all the pieces. when I deploy the stabs I stack 3 each under each stab.

makes it very stable....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #5

levelers

get pair of Anderson Levelers $43 each at amazon. simplest leveling

system. Get some 2X8's 4 ft. long in case you find soft soil and put the

Andersons on them. Don't forget the pressure regulator, plastic funnel,

distilled water, extra premixed antifreeze, green hose for rinsing sewer

hose, block of wood for tongue jack. Simple hand tools for now.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

Water pressure regulator for the white hose.
Flashlight, just in case.
First aid kit.
Paper plates, trash bags, etc.
Also a small broom to sweep as you will drag dirt into the new rig. I would get a camping mat at Walmart to put out under the awning. That way you don't have to live on dirt and gravel.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #7

vacuum

we thought about a canister vac, we couldn't find anything decent but we did

find an Electrolux 18V sweeper, it has a dust buster attached to it

thats portable $76 at Walmart. Stores upright in its charger.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
~ Lynx Levelers (10 Pak ) to start. Light weight and easy to store in their own bag.

~ small folding step stool (2-3 steps)

~ telescoping pole with brush on the end. (WalMart) to brush off awning and slide tops

~ a assortment tools plus fill a jar of every bolt, nut, washer, cotter-pin, nail, electrical connectors, you have laying around your home. You would be amazed how many times I have poured it out to use to fix something. Fact I pulled it out this morning when a rivet broken on my folding step stool.

~ have on hand electric connectors to go from 20 amp to 30 or even a 50 amp to 30 connector. Also a extra 25' 30 amp power cord. And a extra 25' water hose. Also get a "water thief" ( it is a rubber think that fits on a water slicker when the threads are striped or there are no threads to fill up your tank. In 10 years I have used it twice )
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
My plywood pieces are 3/4 and I use 1 under each stabilizer, and 1 under the tongue jack. The other 5 are used under tires for sideways leveling (if needed) before the trailer's disconnected. I also have a couple of pieces of 1/4 ply the same size for micro-leveling, if Ol' Eagle Eye (my DW) is along with me... (She sometimes thinks she's the princess that couldn't sleep because of the pea under 20 mattresses.)
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #10

Since this is your first one I'd recommend having a shopping list ready since it sounds like you're buying from a dealer. I purchased both of my TT's new and from different dealers -- both gave us a coupon for a certain dollar amount that had to be spent in their store that day. If you're not near a Camping World or don't have a well-stocked RV supply store near you (I'm in a more rural area) it's worth knowing what you should spend your voucher on and what you can readily pick up from Walmart. As a side, go inventory your local Walmart(s) to see what their RV departments look like -- we've seen some that have an entire isle of stuff. My local one has just basic supplies.

I don't know if anyone else goes "overboard" like we do, but we've basically purchased an entire new house. We have tools, bedding, and all the things we need in the RV to be prepared so we only have to load food and clothes and we're ready to go.

Anyway, looking back I think the following items are the bare essentials:

- Wheel Chocks
- A level (to level the first time, if you want to go further, I have levels by all four jacks and in the very front and back. Once you're leveled, stick them on there. About $2 for a 2-pack)
- Sewer Hose
- Sewer Hose Support
- White Hose for City Water
- Water Pressure Regulator
- Levelers (Either the Lynx Levelers or wood. Long as you can get level.)
- Trash Can

Not Required but nice to have...

- Socket for a cordless drill to lower and raise your stabilizing jacks (It's Summer! Gets hot quick)
- Electric tongue jack, if yours didn't come with it by default. For the same reason.
- Extra 30 / 50A cords in case you have a long run (I've had to use it only once but I was on top of a mountain and an hour away from a store)
- Extension Sewer Hose depending on where your sewer connections are (In my previous RV, they were in the back where the hookups are. My new one are in the front. I had to run and buy a Camco Revolution form Walmart)
- Extension Sewer Hose Support for the same reason as above.
- In-line Water Filter
- Fans to circulate air inside and help the A/C in the summer
- A new mattress or air mattress. Unless it's an upgraded mattress, I've never heard anyone say how much they love the piece of foam and cloth that comes with most RVs.
- Vent Pillows. About $10 from Camping World and they help with heat and light coming in during the heat of the day -- or when you want to sleep in late!

There's so much more and you'll be surprised at how much you accumulate on your first few trips.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #11

Essentials? DW, beer, lounge chairs! You earned it, enjoy!!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
A lot of good info given already, one thing I got... being new to this as well was a Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System. From what I've read it is insurance well spent and could save money in the long run.

I have a grab bag in the storage compartment that holds mis. tools (screwdrivers, wrench ect) latex glove, fuses, flashlight, bat. powered drill with bits and stabilizer adapter. (look at the screw heads around your TT, make sure you have what you need as far as bits or drivers...some of mine are star and square type)

Like I said, I'm new as well. Hope this helps some.
Max100TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Essentials? DW, beer, lounge chairs! You earned it, enjoy!!

Now you're talkin! Everything else is just gravy.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #14

Well. We FINALLY made it. Bought the Camper. Negotiated what we felt was a GOOD deal for an extended warranty (peace of mind) and my FIRST tow from Akron to Pittsburgh was SUCCESSFUL!

I must admit, I do NOT feel that my PDI was as thorough as I would have liked and the guy did NOT seem to have all the answers that I wanted. I also didn't think I was properly instructed on hitching up and taking it off! I am lucky to have found several forums and watched Youtube a lot over the 2 years we searched for our TT, but when I got home it took me some thinking to get the hitch off the ball! (LOL)

We got some gift cards and we bought a bunch of crap at the Camping World store and it seems like we have SOOOO Much more to figure out...BUT, when I pulled in the neighborhood and my daughter and all her friends couldn't wait to get inside an play around I could see how excited she was and it all paid off! We leave tomorrow after work for our MAIDEN VOYAGE!