Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #1

New TT same poor workmanship

Brand new Prime Time Tracer 3175. Found my exterior furnace housing wasn't sealed properly and allowed rain water to penetrate through where it should have been sealed at the top, and flood the circuit board which led to the furnace start cycle getting into a loop and running continuously without a start. Glad I walked by the trailer last week and heard it! Removed the wet board and dried it out with a heat gun, and then carefully with a toothbrush removed the accumulated rust on the underside of the board and put it back. Sealed the cover as it should have been. System now works as advertised and should remain dry. Apparently had been leaking since manufacture. Very poor quality control but shame on me for not catching this on walk through at pick up. Poor design to place the circuit board directly underneath a spot where sealing is so critical. Good news is that after several trailers over the past 40 years I have come to expect to work on them and in fact have learned to enjoy the challenges. Every time a problem is fixed or a modification is made to a sloppy factory finishing job or engineering goof, the camper gets that much better!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevesfamily View Post
Brand new Prime Time Tracer 3175. Found my exterior furnace housing wasn't sealed properly and allowed rain water to penetrate through where it should have been sealed at the top, and flood the circuit board which led to the furnace start cycle getting into a loop and running continuously without a start. Glad I walked by the trailer last week and heard it! Removed the wet board and dried it out with a heat gun, and then carefully with a toothbrush removed the accumulated rust on the underside of the board and put it back. Sealed the cover as it should have been. System now works as advertised and should remain dry. Apparently had been leaking since manufacture. Very poor quality control but shame on me for not catching this on walk through at pick up. Poor design to place the circuit board directly underneath a spot where sealing is so critical. Good news is that after several trailers over the past 40 years I have come to expect to work on them and in fact have learned to enjoy the challenges. Every time a problem is fixed or a modification is made to a sloppy factory finishing job or engineering goof, the camper gets that much better!
it happens. see things like this in the rv business all the time. nothing changes ,human error is just that your lucky its only a 38K trailer
I have seen stuff like this on 500K newmars and the lot
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same issue with my Denali. Times two. Atwood housing/access is a poor design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #4

Seems to be the normal these days. (actually just about forever, back in the day I worked as an RV Tech, I have seen units come in with windows upside down, frames out of alignment and all sorts of problems most were caused at the factory)
I just look one over, if I like the layout, I take it home and do the needed fixes myself and of course start "making it my own"
Old 01-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
If I wasn't pretty handy I'd have given up after my first RV trip... I'd rather fix stuff correctly myself than to take it back to the dealer. I'm on my third trailer and have had this one since August. Already I've fixed a lot of stuff but found Furrion and Jayco uncooperative when I wanted to change out my own DVD played when it shot craps... Oh well... Third trailer and first time returned to the dealer... not too bad. The dealer seems to have repaired it properly. Other than a few trim issues and the DVD player, all is well... Except for the tires. Already into new tires and an extra spare to the tune of $710-, but at least I was able to go up a load range. This time next year I'll probably feel like I have a good trailer with all the bugs worked out... So far about 5K miles and 19 nights spent in it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't know if I am lucky or oblivious, but I did not find poor workmanship in my Shasta.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Were on our 2nd Aerolite RV (Dutchman / Keystone / Thor). Yes, the normal stuff. Both units I had to "fix" the crappy job they did building a sturdy dinette seat.

Hey Mr. Dutchman, if you insist on using a staple gun, let it be known that if the staple "misses" it's mark, it means that wooden structure is now compromised. I ended up using "T" and "L" brackets screwed in to reinforce the seating area.

The true test was last summers trip to Alaska. Only two fixes: electrical short in brake wire running thru axle tube and just tightening some trim screws on dinette end trim.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarcia View Post
I don't know if I am lucky or oblivious, but I did not find poor workmanship in my Shasta.
Neither... you bought one that was built on Wednesday afternoon....
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Neither... you bought one that was built on Wednesday afternoon....
Does that mean they were extra ' happy ' or too happy? I worked on GM Assembly Line in the early 70s. Don't buy one built on Thursday or Friday, payday and day after.

We all cashed our checks at the liquor store.
Pappystoy is offline   Reply With Quote