Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-03-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
New TTs...never 100% perfect.

I know this is not a new topic but I thought I would share some of my experience picking up the new TT. I ordered this unit it and it came in about 3 days before I picked it up. I 'm pretty sure it wasn't touched until right before I got there.

First off the dealer was good...Apparently I got the owners son to do the check out and he clearly was new as I pointed out things he was incorrect about.

For example my TTs spare tire is mounted to the bumper and blocks a rear storage compartment. He told me to access the storage, I needed to loosen the bolts to the tire mount and slide it out of the way. I looked at him funny and after about 5 seconds of looking at it I pointed out there is a pin that when removed the tire swings down and out of the way. He said loosening the bolts was how he saw the service guys do it....I thought well then they are idiots too.

Overall all the TT seemed in good shape...no obvious issues. However just before I was ready to leave I gave it one more look over. Inside I noticed one track on the slide out was racked. I could see right away what the issue was. The guide on the slide out itself was mounted crooked. I went and found someone pointed out...they got the service manager looked at it....and after a long while and multiple conversations finally they got it fixed to my satisfaction. To there credit they were very polite and were willing to get it fixed to the point where I was satisfied.

After sitting in my driveway for a couple of days all the 12v systems stopped working.. You can read it in more detail here. New Outback inverter issue?

Bottom line the inverter went bad after 2 days. I ended up just replacing it myself since to take it back to the dealer would burn as much fuel as the darn inverter costs and I needed the TT for a trip that weekend.

A minor screw up was they had the DVD player wired wrong to the TV...I could see their error and understood how it could be made but really how many of these must they install every week. Since I worked in broadcasting and engineering for years it was a quick fix.

Lastly and this isn't really a construction issue but more of a BTW you should know this issue. The furnace made a horrible smell when first fired up. No other TT made this much stink but more concerning was the CO/ propane leak alarm would go off for about 30 seconds overtime it came on. After about 10 uses of the furnace is stopped setting off the alarm but the stink is still there although it seems to be getting better. I read the manual and it did say something about burning paint off for the first 10-15 minutes of use...I guess that's it. I hope the smell eventually goes away.

The only other issue I have has is not really with the TT but the load bearing/sway control hitch. The mounts shifted on the frame of the TT and would not allow the bars to be installed. I didn't have a big enough wrench with me so I had to bang them back into place with a hammer. That got me home but I noticed they shifted again. I'll be contacting the manufacturer to see what the torque specs are on the bolts.

So that's my tale....not the worst experience I have heard but since my last TT had zero issue it was a bit disappointing.

Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
I believe that the hitch parts you are talking about were installed by the dealer.

lynnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I believe that the hitch parts you are talking about were installed by the dealer.

Yes they absolutely were...but since the dealer is over an hour away I am going to try and fix it myself as its cheaper in less aggravation in the long run.
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Yes they absolutely were...but since the dealer is over an hour away I am going to try and fix it myself as its cheaper in less aggravation in the long run.
Probably a good idea to make sure they know about it, so they know they also owe you a few favors when the time comes.
TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
We had a similar smell when using the furnace the first time. Just a burn off. Nothing to worry about. You have the right attitude to enjoy your new TT.
Keen Family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
Call the manufacturer, they'll send you a new converter as a spare or will reimburse the one you purchased.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
Based on the title of your thread, I'd bet you get little argument from the RV crowd. (And not just TT'rs)

However, I firmly believe the dealerships play a huge role in what early new ownership experience is like.

Put another way, regardless of how many things need to be addressed once the average TT has made its initial shakedown-delivery tow, if the dealership that takes delivery does a thorough PDI, it's likely the new buyer will never even know of most shortcomings these things seem to come with off the manufacturing floor.

I'm fortunate to live near a dealership that does a far better job of this than the average dealer, based on the horror stories you can find on these forums. When I recently purchased a new TT from them it took just short of 2 weeks for them to get it ready for my walkthrough. When I asked if that was typical the fella that handles the "PDI" showed me a list HE MADE of a similar model that sold a couple of days before mine.

It was three pages long. Well written in detail. Almost sounded nit-picky.

He let me sit and read it. The new owner had nothing to do with this list, as I would have nothing to do with the list for mine.

He also mentioned 2 reasons they go to such efforts:

1. The manufacturers are far easier to deal with on a warranty basis when the customer hasn't even entered the picture yet.
2. Their service department is well thought of and in great demand. Loooong waiting list. Nothing upsets a new owner than to have to wait to get things fixed right after they just took delivery.

Still, I wish I could debate your topic title "never 100% perfect"

I can't.
But I'm far from unhappy!
23 days of living in it and my bulb doesn't come on in the fridge when the door opens, and the PDI resulted in an order for new blinds on one of the dining windows. They haven't arrived yet.

But that's it so far. I believe the dealer gets the credit. Not the TT manufacturer.

2006Camp-Inn 550 Ultra 2017 Aerolite 213RBSL 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
For outright Adventure across the planet
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote