Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #1

New Vantage 19UL - best tow ever!

I've had a busy weekend and it's not yet over!

Yesterday I drove from PA to IN pick up my new Vantage 19UL from Walnut Creek RV in New Castle, IN. I purchased this trailer for weekend trips at home - upgrading from an existing tag-long I bought last year - a Surveyor 189. The Surveyor was just too small for me, but otherwise a very nice, economical trailer.

They were very nice folks, were ready for me when I arrived, we did the PDI and I was on my way in about 2 hours. This place is a huge dealership with alot of inventory, a big service center and a campground. If it were closer to me, I'd definitely make use of them, but they are not. If they are near you, I'd recommend you give them a shot at your business.

This Vantage has got to be the best tow I have ever experienced with a TT. It's nearly as nice as my Columbus 320 5th wheel. It even has better road manners than my show car hauler, which has an extremely low center of gravity.

Since this purchase was on such short notice, I decided to pick up this TT with my 2500 with only a ball hitch - no w/d or sway. I didn't want to purchase another since I have an extra at home, and frankly wasn't sure I really needed it. Weight is around 5,000 lbs with a tongue weight around 680. I'll certainly use the WD when I hook up my Suburban, but doubt I'll need the sway control.

I think with the Vantage, it's a testament to the benefits of over-design and aerodynamics. The wind resistance you normally feel with a trailer was just not there. Passing semis and wind gusts were no issue at all - in fact you really don't feel anything.

This trailer has tandem 4400 lbs axles, mor-ryde suspension and 16" wheels. Way more loading capacity than this trailer will ever see. Normally when I've pulled trailers, I've always had this fear something could easily be broken. With the Vantage, it just feels very solid - the suspension absorbs the bumps, there is no bounce or pushing the truck around. So highly recommend the idea of over-size wheels on a trailer.

I cruised most of the way from IN to SC between 68-70 mph (normally I go 60-62 with a trailer). With one hand on the wheel most of the way. Very relaxed tow. Felt I could have easily gone faster without any stress. Got 14mpg in the flats, 13mpg in the mountains. I didn't get that kind of mileage towing my Surveyor 189 - and that was over 1000 lbs less!

If anything, I hope that Keystone applies some lessens in aerodynamics from the Vantage line to their other products - it definitely makes a difference.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #2

I was at Walnut Ridge two months ago. I agree, very nice dealership. I almost bought the Vantage 29 RLS that they had at the time but it was too big. I looked at your Vantage 19. It was a tad too small for what I wanted. I am now looking for a Vantage 25 and am going to call Walnut Ridge to ask about their next shipment of Vantages.

Anyway I was impressed with the build quality and the touch and feel of everything. Seems like an upscale trailer.

I think you bought a very nice trailer and that it tows real nice is a big added benefit.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

I don't think there will be any more shipments of Vantages. That is why I drove all the way to IN to get this one. If you want one, you will need to find it and probably travel to get it. I wouldn't wait very long -they are all being clearances to get rid of them.

I know that Sonny's Camp n' Travel has a 25 in their NC location. So you might want to call them.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

You are correct. I called Sprillia RV in Akron Ohio. Keystone is not building any more Vantages. I saw the 25RBS listed in NC. Check out Sprillia - they have a Vantage that has full body paint. It is the 34 foot model.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

That must have been a prototype - I saw a rendering of it over a year ago as something they were proposing to do.

They must be done if they've sold off the prototypes. Hopefully they are hanging on to some spare parts to support the existing owners.

The painted one is sharp. I guess after a few years wear and tear, you can always paint them.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

I just an e-mail to Sonny's about the 25RBS Vantage. The Concord location is only 8hrs. from Columbus.

They also have the Sunset Trail. That actually might be a better trailer for me. Wow - there are really deep slides on the Sunset Trail.

Thanks for telling me about them - for some reason they were not even on my radar. There is a place in Cincinnati (Colrain RV) that also sells Sunset Trail.

Sunset Trail comes in a 250RB and also an up-scale 25RB Reserve. I have to research the differences. These trailers can be optioned with added insulation and even dual pane windows.

Did you check or do you know how well insulated the Vantage is?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

They have block foam. From my one night in it, seems to hold the heat OK.

The Sunset Trail has excellent insulation - I also have a 25RB I use for family trips down to the beach. It's a great trailer, but some have had problems with the swintec slide units. Mine has been trouble free and had a 2 year warranty.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #8

Congratulations on your new Vantage! We have a 25RBS and love it! We enjoy towing it with our F150, until the wind picks up to high speeds of over 35 mph I doubt anything tows good in conditions like that but living in the middle of Kansas, we see wind like this quite often. We actually looked long and hard at the 19 footer but decided it was probably a little too small for us and the cats. We are glad we got the 25 footer and even more glad that we went with the Vantage line!
TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #9

Glad you like your 25. I've yet to hear from anyone who doesn't love their Vantage. They seem to have alot of enthusiastic owners. I guess they are one of those things you either love or hate, and the lovers buy them.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #10

After looking at several other trailers I just put a deposit on a Vantage 25RBS. Seems these trailers at closeout prices are flying off the dealers lots. Especially the 19 and 25 models.

wincrasher - I was working with Sonny's RV and Camping World. The Camping World had a 25RBS with the graphics package that spiffs up the exterior so that is the one I bought.

I plan to pick it up in a few weeks. Right now it is snowing in Columbus Ohio...ugh

Anyway - the closeout price on the Vantage 25RBS was less than the discouted price on the Koala 24RBK. Made the choice easy.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #11

Congrats. I think you chose wisely.

I'd be interested in seeing this graphics package - is it the moon-glo paint scheme?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #12

I think the graphics package is just a few taped swishy stripes. The 1st one I saw on the web was at the Chicago area Camping World. It had nice blue stripe designs. That one was sold but the salesman said hold on. That he could look at other Camping Worlds...I said that I can do the same thing but he insisted. He must get a cut of the commission so I do not fault him for his persistence.

Anyway he found one in N. Carolina with the graphics package. When I looked at it it seems these stripe designs were brown. Not as nice as the blue. But like I said these trailers seem to be flying off the dealer lots so I was not going to be that picky. Anyway I convinced them to sell me the trailer at the same good price I got from Sonny's. Plus I wanted a group 29 battery instead of the standard group 24. A group 29 will run the lights and furnace on that rare occasion the trailer is not plugged in much better than group 24.

I stopped at the Interstate Battery Store. A Group 24 battery was $99 and the 66% longer life group 29 battery was $117. So when I pick up the trailer it should have a group 29 battery. (Even money says it won't). Ugh

If you want to see the simple graphics package google Vantage 25RBS and look for the one at the Chicago Camping World web site. It is really is not too great but just enough to jazz it up a little.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #13

Looks cool. Are those painted, or stickers?

I posted in another thread I decided to run a Trojan 225 12v battery. There just wasn't enough room to mount two 6 v batteries. I could have put another group 24 in there, but for that 60+ lbs, I'd only get another 10 ah of battery. So I'll have to get by with 130 AH. It fits in a group 27 box.

So how many AH is that group 29 battery you are getting?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #14

Check this out - both 2013 Vantage 25RBS. Different floor plan?

Which one do you like better and why?

#1 New 2013 Keystone VANTAGE Travel Trailers For Sale In Hendersonville, NC - ASH193115 - Camping World

#2http://www.campingworldofchicago.com/travel-trailer/2013/keystone-vantage/232239

The placement of the TV is switched from one end of the couch by the doorway to the other end of the couch by the bed.