Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

New vs Used Discussion.

My wife and I are considering buying our first TT. Unfortunately, we are stuck in a bit of a debate. We have looked at buying new, at a cost of around $25K, or buying a used trailer under $10K. We need a BH model for our two young children. We will be typical weekends, with the occassio al 1 to 2 week vacation, and when not in uae the camper will be stored on our lake lot.

Looking to buy a traditional built stick and tin TT. I am relatively handy, but a first timer.

New:
Pros- super nice, all the luxurys, warrenty, and maybe less problems?
Cons- price and depreciation

Used:
Pros - cheap, less depreciation, and rebuildable.
Cons- no warrenty, unknown issues, smells like an old trailer, not as nice, usually no luxuries.

Alright, what have I missed?
And,... what would you guys do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Always a tough decision.

We have always purchased new. Depreciation is a number we only encounter when we sell. We keep it long enough that the extra cost per year is nominal. We are willing to pay for the use from new for a rig we like. We order so the unit is exactly what we want with the colors and amenities that please us.

Used is a good deal if you get a gently used unit. If you are handy and rebuilt it you will have a new unit with only the purchase, material and sweat equity invested. There is a thread "Total Rebuild" where the fellow completely rebuilt a 5er for his personal use. His investment and the result make that option very attractive.

I would look at floor plan and find the right unit for the use of your family. If you rebuild a trailer you will have a custom unit for your family and you will know how the entire thing operates. It just depends on the amount of time you have to invest and the cost of materials to do the job the way you want it done.

If you rebuild you will have to consider the amount of weight you add so you do not exceed the specifications of your tow vehicle.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum,

You're pondering a common dilemma. Starting a new hobby that affords your enjoyment of spending quality time with your loved ones. Rv's by any stretch of the imagination are not monetary "investments" but consumable's. Youngsters will remember totally different experiences compared to their parents. We're sure you and DW will arrive at where your budget is most comfortable. Don't forget that your tow vehicle is part of the equation. The large assortment of accoutrements can be never ending as well. It's easy to overlook certain aspects on your first purchase, BH is a good idea. So perhaps it should be a little more forgiving. Don't rule out renting an RV for a sneak preview. You'll know it when you find it.

Boaters have a saying: "It's a hole in the water that I keep pouring money into".
Some of my fondest memories of fishing were actually jigging a mess of little fish in a tiny aluminum jon boat using a sculling paddle, followed by a cheese sandwich in wax paper.
Later a $50k fishing rig, sonar fish finder, graphite rods, fish taking lockjaw, did not foster so many good memories.

Be well.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy a 3 to 5 year old gently used higher end unit rather than a new entry level trailer. You get a better built unit and don't get socked with the depreciation.

Ken
Old 08-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I sold my second TT a few weeks ago. It was 4 years old. It had some fresh caulk in places. It had some fresh Dicor in one spot on the roof. It had a better kitchen sink and fresh Maxxis tires. It had a fresh repack on the bearings. For a used trailer, it sold very quickly and for above book value... but for thousands less than a comparable new unit. These units are out there, you just have to look hard.

My point is that you should be looking for something with some of the things I mentioned. If there's no fresh caulk and the like, it's just been used. If you can see signs that someone inspected it and regularly maintained it... you'll be much better off. A 2 to 5-year-old unit could be had for $10,000- - $18,000-and be a real bargain... or a complete loser. Some think these things are made to sit out in the sun and rain, year in and year out... and they're not. I keep mine in covered storage. The one I just sold still had a good gloss to it and the graphics were not faded. Rain and ultra-violet radiation will eventually ruin most anything, and RV manufacturers don't spend any extra to protect them... they just have to make it past the warranty... which on most is a year.

Good luck in your search... and your decision.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

For a first trailer buy used. This will enable you to determine what you really want in your trailer. If you buy new and make a change soon it will cost you plenty. After you come to understand what you really like then you can buy new if you want. You won't lose that much on the used trailer and you should get a nice deal on the new one.
Good luck.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
For a first trailer buy used. This will enable you to determine what you really want in your trailer. If you buy new and make a change soon it will cost you plenty. After you come to understand what you really like then you can buy new if you want. You won't lose that much on the used trailer and you should get a nice deal on the new one.
Good luck.
I agree,
on my second used trailer.. first one was a nice trailer ..but did not work between my wife and I.. and could not see that until we used it a few time.

so second one is also a nice used trailer... Wife got what she needed. and I fit inside of it better. and I discovered/understood the wife's View on a slide-out.

used you can afford the better/nicer trailer...

but REMEMBER you NEED to get a floor plan that will WORK for your family. and CHECK everything before handing ANY MONEY over.

I am NOT Fond of "Lite" trailers.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Good luck.

I agree,
on my second used trailer.. first one was a nice trailer ..but did not work between my wife and I.. and could not see that until we used it a few time.

so second one is also a nice used trailer... Wife got what she needed. and I fit inside of it better. and I discovered/understood the wife's View on a slide-out.

used you can afford the better/nicer trailer...

but REMEMBER you NEED to get a floor plan that will WORK for your family. and CHECK everything before handing ANY MONEY over.

I am NOT Fond of "Lite" trailers.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #9

We just bought our first trailer and it's used. I could not see spending $10,000 on a new one which we may not use more than once a year since hubby works too much. This way we are only out $3200 if we don't like pulling a trailer. Knocking on wood though, we haven't taken it out yet!
Old 08-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paterd View Post
We just bought our first trailer and it's used. I could not see spending $10,000 on a new one which we may not use more than once a year since hubby works too much. This way we are only out $3200 if we don't like pulling a trailer. Knocking on wood though, we haven't taken it out yet!
Hopefully you purchased the floor plan that will work for you and you will save your 3200. RV'ing is not for everybody but if you enjoy it there is nothing like it.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #11

Not sure of your location but I have a SunnyBrook bunkhouse for sale. I used it for 2 seasons and it is in excellent condition . My wife and I purchased a new rear living room model and no longer use the SunnyBrook. I towed the SunnyBrook from western NY to Cherokee NC and it towed great. If u have any interest please feel free to contact me
Old 08-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #12

Always a tough decision. When shopping new and comparing prices forget the ridiculously inflated MSRP. You can usually get a trailer for between 65-75% of that #. Even cheaper for an expiring model or during a slow time of year. Maybe more expensive if a new model or heading into the busy season for your area.

And when buying used watch out for the folks who overpaid (see above) when buying new and after 3 years expect their trailer to be worth what they should have paid for it new. As a very rough estimate a TT should be worth around 50% of MSRP when it's about 3-4 years old. At least I've sold them at that and they go quickly.

I just sold - bought over last winter. My TT was a 2013 model year that I paid 20K for when new (MSRP was 27K). I sold for 16K in the middle of winter (slow time for sure in my area) and it went pretty quick off Craigslist. On the buying side I picked up a 2016 5th wheel with an MSRP of 47K for 31K from a hungry dealer.

So, buying new is not always a losing idea as many will lead you to believe. You just MUST buy at the right price to keep from losing your butt.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I sold my second TT a few weeks ago. It was 4 years old. It had some fresh caulk in places. It had some fresh Dicor in one spot on the roof. It had a better kitchen sink and fresh Maxxis tires. It had a fresh repack on the bearings. For a used trailer, it sold very quickly and for above book value... but for thousands less than a comparable new unit. These units are out there, you just have to look hard.

My point is that you should be looking for something with some of the things I mentioned. If there's no fresh caulk and the like, it's just been used. If you can see signs that someone inspected it and regularly maintained it... you'll be much better off. A 2 to 5-year-old unit could be had for $10,000- - $18,000-and be a real bargain... or a complete loser. Some think these things are made to sit out in the sun and rain, year in and year out... and they're not. I keep mine in covered storage. The one I just sold still had a good gloss to it and the graphics were not faded. Rain and ultra-violet radiation will eventually ruin most anything, and RV manufacturers don't spend any extra to protect them... they just have to make it past the warranty... which on most is a year.

Good luck in your search... and your decision.
This is very good advice.

jtbuilds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Good luck.
More good advice.

jtbuilds is online now   Reply With Quote