Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Hello all, not only am I new to this forum I am new to the camper world. I was handed the keys to a 2000, 30 ft fleetwood mallard. This past weekend I "thought" I was filling the fresh water reserve tank. Get to our planned location only to find out the tank is empty. I looked through the owners manual and googled it, but no luck.

My question is, do I need to have the pump running to fill the tank or is there a valve I need to check?

Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

I had a similar problem when we got our Georgetown. Our previous Class C had a "pour it in from a bucket" fill, through a funnel. The GT had a hose connection, identical to the one on the black tank drain port. I filled the black tank with fresh water the first time out.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

Glad you joined us.

When filling the tank did you hear water rushing in the lines? There should be valve in the water compartment that lets you run on city water, if you are hooked up, or lets you fill your tank. If you have it and it's in the wrong position you won't be able to fill your tank. Look see if you have this set up. Let us know.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My trailer has two water "ports". One is the city hookup that a hose screws into, and can provide water and pressure from a hose bib. The other is a "port" where water is poured in using a hose or a container that puts water in the fresh water holding tank, and water pressure is provided by the electric pump.

My water tank is under the bed, so it was super easy to see which one will provide water from which connection. I'm sorry I can't help you with the particulars on your trailer.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #5

My guess is that you did one of 2 things. Either you hooked the hose to the city water connection which bypasses the fresh water tank or you hooked the hose to the black water flush, in which case you now have a full black water tank.

Mike
Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #6

On the rear left side there is a connection for a water hose (city water) and next to it is a cap that is to fill the reserve tank...."at least that is what I have been reading". I put the hose in there and turned in on low and soon after it is spilling out.."full" or so I thought.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
There may be a winter bypass kit installed between the fresh water tank and the pump. It sounds to me like you did fill the tank. the kit contains a valve that lets you pump rv antifreeze into the system for winter. If you have this make sure the valve is turned to the water tank and not to the hose that goes into a bottle of antifreeze
Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intothewild View Post
There may be a winter bypass kit installed between the fresh water tank and the pump. It sounds to me like you did fill the tank. the kit contains a valve that lets you pump rv antifreeze into the system for winter. If you have this make sure the valve is turned to the water tank and not to the hose that goes into a bottle of antifreeze
The monitoring system shows its empty and when I flushed toilet to check there was not water.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Kinked filler hose?
Old 03-25-2016, 03:17 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie71 View Post
The monitoring system shows its empty and when I flushed toilet to check there was not water.

Ok so the black tank is empty. What does the monitor say about the fresh tank? Have you located this tank and your pump. These are normally not very far from the opening on the outside that is used to fill it.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:27 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Too much pressure on hose filling tank and you thought it was full maybe? I had one camper that had a very slow fill. Does the fresh water tank have a valve to drain the tank that could be open?
Old 03-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Too much pressure on hose filling tank and you thought it was full maybe? I had one camper that had a very slow fill. Does the fresh water tank have a valve to drain the tank that could be open?
No drain that I am aware of....the only water on the ground is from it overflowing.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intothewild View Post
Ok so the black tank is empty. What does the monitor say about the fresh tank? Have you located this tank and your pump. These are normally not very far from the opening on the outside that is used to fill it.
The monitoring system monitors all water. I push the fresh water button and it shows empty.

Tags