Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Question NEWBIE--Any Evergreen Ascend 231RKB owners here?

Seems like the more we research, the more overwhelmed and confused we get! I We are recently (early) retirees and have been seriously looking at the Evergreen Ascend 231RKB. We want something easy to tow and like the all fiberglass (no wood) concept as well as the storage and layout. Since these are relatively new, we can't seem to find other owners' reviews/opinions. I notice there is a Yahoo group and have asked to join but don't know how long it takes to get added. Advice from anyone? Soooo overwhelming!

TXJamesGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your plans.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
We don't have the Ascend but we bought the Evergreen I-Go Lite and other than a few small issues (loose water fitting and a outside vent that wasn't sealed) both water related ..No damage thankfully.. We love it.. It's pulls great and seems well built.. Customer service at Evergreen via email is great thanks to Dan there..He was very helpful..I went to the dealer after researching the Aerolite but the wife fell in love with the I-Go ..so here we are with one I did absolutely no research on and love it..
Scoobyd313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Hey TXJamesGang!
My wife and I purchased the Evergreen Acsend 231 rkb in march 2014. Please ask any questions you may have. We chose to start out our full timing experience in this guy for at least the first year or so. We had a couple issues with it, but minor really. So please feel free with any particulars! Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon!
kaseykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Hi Kaseykidd! nice to meet another Evergreen Ascend 231rkb owner! we ended up purchasing one last week and went straight from the dealer to a campsite for 2 nights. The only thing we forgot were the dadgum lawn chairs but did pretty well for our first trip out. We really enjoyed it! Didn't have any issues (yet....that we're aware of anyway) Would love to know what specific (minor) issues you've had. You said ask away so here goes!

1) First, how do you really like it? Have you had a TT before this one? (This is our first). Have you found the layout to be as good as you thought it would be? (ie, small kitchen, bathroom door that opens into the kitchen) We chose this one BECAUSE the kitchen was tucked out of the way and I'm not a huge cook anyway. The bathroom opening into the kitchen was a little inconvient at times but we got a system down.
2) How did you utilize all the storage areas? We put bins in all the overhead cabinets and kitchen and stacked some underbed long storage bins under thr bed. I was surprised at how much storage there was but would love to hear your organizational methods for any tips.)
3) We weren't expecting a full force shower experience like home but the trickle we got was pretty much a joke. Are all TT showers like that or is it an Ascend thing? Anything be done about it?
4) Did you put any kind of cover over the skylights when you want it darker or cooler? we were under shade trees so didn't run into that issue but I can see how it could be problematic.
5) Being our first TT, I was surprised at how loud the a/c was -- but, it was definitely cool!

I'm sure I have a lot more questions but I'll stop here. Thanks so much for your response. And thanks to all the other welcomes and the I Go response.
TXJamesGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #8

Congratulations! We did the same thing, we went straight to the campsite as well. I would be more than happy to share! I have my morning coffee so off we go!

1) Well we went back and forth. We sold out house and had some money, so it was either put money down, or buy it outright and be a little freer sooner. We chose the latter. We have a 2012 Jeep Liberty, so for the size, amenities, price and weight it was is perfect. I did like that it did not have a partition by the bed separating the bed from "living room" couch and table it just seems more open. The trailer pulls very nicely with our jeep though I would feel better later having a 3/4 ton truck. But the jeep does VERY well! Yes this is our first travel trailer but we had been to shows and studied up on them for 2 years prior(while fixing up the house). The issues I have with the kitchen is that I am 6'3 so if I am in the kitchen or bathroom the cabinets are kind of in the way of me getting to the sinks or stove. Frustrating but my wife, Jenn seems to excel in this area(she is short). So I stay outside and grill. But yes we kind of knew there could/would be potential situations if that side of the room needed to be utilized at the same time.

2) Our storage is still up in the air really. It's still trial and error to find the best system, but as far as storage... Even for us living in it, we have plenty of space. Our whole goal in this is just have what we need and get out and see things! So its perfect for us for now. I do have trailer envy sometimes though, I won't lie.

3) Ahhhhh the shower....yes, yes a little disappointing. BUT!! I stumbled across this forum buy looking for a solution to this problem. So...there you go...bad news I did not find one on this or any other forum, but the good news is I took it apart and looked at it. This is what I did and wow, night and day. I feel over showered compared to the last few months. If you unscrew where the shower head and the hose meet and look at the bottom of the shower head, you will see what looks like a button with 3 holes in it, I am pretty sure that's a filter and ours was clogged with bits of plastic from our freshwater tank (probably while they drilled and put in the plumbing) So at first I thought about making the three holes bigger, but just popped it out instead, screwed the shower back on and wow!! Where we are usually hooked up we have filters on the outside, so Im not too worried about that little piece for now. Again this is only been tested for a couple of days, but I promise you'll see a HUGE difference!.
4) We have talked about covers too, we have not done anything about it yet because we both have to get up early for work, so it's actually helping a bit, but yes covers are in the near future. I would have to look into it in order to find an a pleasant aesthetic remedy for that, or just velcro and some kind of cloth?
5) Yes, the AC is loud, but I think it's a pretty bog unit for our sized trailer too. It's quick and we have two dogs, so as long as they are safe while we are at work, I'm okay with that.

Our issues:

when we first started about 3 days into it, I was uhmm sitting down in the bathroom and noticed some water leaking from the shower into that little space between the sink cabinet and shower glass. We ended up adding more silicone caulk on the inside and re-caulking the whole entire inside, So just keep a heads up for that.

I don't know how much you guys will do dry camping or boon docking but if you do, check your water pump. When they showed us our they were connected to city water and just turned it on and we were like "Okay! it works!!" then while in between our next stop we had 2 days to spend dry camping. Well when we turned on the water pump it was spitting and spattering water. Sooo we took a lobster pot, heated it up with the stove and one of us would pour water on the other! Anyway when we got to our next destination, we did some research and under your gas stove on the floor is the water pump. There is a great youtube video about troubleshooting. All I needed was a little teflon tape so make it air tight, and clean the filter (white plastic from fresh water tank again) Now with our shower working and water pump working everything is fine.
Oh and Jenn wants me to make sure to mention the mattress. Again I don't know how often you guys go out but that thing does NOT last very long, but then again I don't think it was made for full timing either. Well I hope I didn't ramble on too much and again, if you have any tips or questions please feel free. Hope you guys have a great rest of the weekend!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
Originally Posted by kaseykidd View Post
Hey TXJamesGang!
My wife and I purchased the Evergreen Acsend 231 rkb in march 2014. Please ask any questions you may have. We chose to start out our full timing experience in this guy for at least the first year or so. We had a couple issues with it, but minor really. So please feel free with any particulars! Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon!
Hi Kaseykidd. We just purchased an Asend 231RKB and will be picking it up on the 30th. We were originally buying a hybrid but changed our minds when we saw this one. We are trying to figure out what size TV would be best to purchase. Do you have one in bedroom and one above the convection oven cabinet? Or just one TV? Is it possible to mount one in the bedroom and swing it round so you can watch it in the other area? We will probably just take our small 14" for the first trip out which will be when we pick it up. But any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
theshadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
Hello and sorry for the delay. We have computers and use our computers to double as TV's. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc... We haven't had a TV in over 7 years now, and I don't want to steer you wrong. I definitely know they have types that swing out, I have seen them before. I would ask the dealer. I would assume not too heavy or wide if you speaking of the bedroom jack, but maybe a bigger one above the microwave area. I think the Ascends frame is aluminum so as long as you are right on with the drilling and mounting you should be okay with a smaller TV. AGAIN I know I probably am not that much help, I would just be safe and have the dealer install it, or call Evergreen and ask...They have always been very good and honest with us when we had questions about our water heater.
Hope you are having a great summer so far! By the tie yo get this hopefuly you would have already have your answer and are enjoying it!

evergreen, newbie