Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

Newbie buying a 13 ft Scamp (deluxe?)....need advice on options, pkgs, to buy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

I am considering buying a 13 ft Scamp deluxe with the shower/ toilet pkg. it is just my wife and me and our little dog. As you add options it gets pretty expensive so I don't want to order something I do not need, nor miss something I should get. I know we also require air but is a furnace necessary? I can plug in a small electric heater for the few times we may travel in the winter. I live on the gulf coast thus not a big concern. The microwave option is $220 but I can buy one for under $100... Good idea? Should I upgrade to linoleum?, is the tv antenna good or, should I get the cable hook up. Fridge size? I am going to tow with a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. It has a GTW of 2,000. Any advice here would also be appreciated like electric brakes ( not really sure how they work). ANY advice would greatly be appreciated down to what type of outdoor mat to buy....thank you..."H"

Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
I know we also require air but is a furnace necessary? I can plug in a small electric heater for the few times we may travel in the winter. [COLOR="Red"]If you rarely travel in the cold, I'd skip out on it. However it's MUCH easier to add now from OEM than you doing if you really want it.[/COLOR
The microwave option is $220 but I can buy one for under $100... Good idea? I would let them do it because it is probably in a cabinet and they may build it so that you can't get a microwave in it yourself.
Should I upgrade to linoleum? I'd think so. Easier to clean than carpert. What is it an upgrade from?
is the tv antenna good or, should I get the cable hook up. You gonna be at parks with cable or in the middle of no where? Middle of no where means no TV at all anyway.
Fridge size? It's always nice to have as much room as possible and not have to carry an ice chest also.
Any advice here would also be appreciated like electric brakes ( not really sure how they work). YES YES YES YES. For sure.
Elec brakes use a magnet, which drags across the brake drum, which moves an arm, which opens pads, which creases friction. You'll need a brake controller on the Jeep, but no big deal.
In red.
My advice is after you get it, get what you think you just need to camp with and go camp locally. Make lists of what you need and want and can do without.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

I would visit http://www.fiberglassrv.com/ for more specifics on options.

Furnace is nice if you don't have or want to run a generator. Generators are finnicky in the cold, especially when they get older. A furnace will provide the best heat because it burns from the propane. If you have a generator or shore power, you can add a heater to your AC usually for about $60, and put the coil in yourself.

Linoleum is nicer for cleanliness, but most people take their boots off before entering anyways, it's really more about how you live.

Tv antenna is great for nighttime and when a freaking storm starts rolling in. We were in ocean city maryland a few year ago when we saw the weather getting bad. We followed to news and learned they were thinking of evacuating, which they did end up doing. Omni directional is all you need if you're near a big city or community, but a directional antenna is a must if you plan on camping in country areas.

Trailer brakes are always a good thing on anything over 1000lbs, and mandatory on most vehicles owners manuals for anything over 1000lbs. If you have a 3/4 ton pickup and towing a 13foot, you honestly probably don't need it. But for sure, a jeep probably won't stop the best with 2000lbs behind it. You will need a brake controller installed on your jeep as well. If you aren't handy like that, you can have any trailer or RV dealership install it for you.

Make sure you get the awning and hitch receiver option as well. Hitch reciever is nice for bikes, and extra cargo.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

Great advice ggg...thank you!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't advise on options, but last weekend there were 54 Scamps in the campground here for a rally! They were all beautifully maintained and every site was decorated. It was obvious that the owners are fanatic about their little rigs.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #7

Thanks all. I ordered mine today. Completion Oct 29th...can't wait.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Thanks all. I ordered mine today. Completion Oct 29th...can't wait.
I would call your local state police or DMV office and find out about brakes. In Louisiana, any trailer heavier that 1500 lbs. has to have brakes.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #9

Thx Swamp man...I felt it was just a smart move to get them so I ordered them.