Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Newbie Buying Travel Trailer

We are buying a travel trailer soon. We hope in the next three months but if there is a better time of year please let us know. We are wanting something over 20 ft with a walk around queen bed. Our budget is $15000. We live in Georgia and vacation using two timeshares (Wyndham and DVC). Looking for using it for NASCAR races, the beach and Fall mountain trips.

uahollem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. I've moved your post here to get some owner input.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

You didn't mention what you'll be using to pull your new trailer. I'll assume you're looking at a used unit in that price range.

I'd recommend something in the 24 foot range. That size is easy to maneuver, very easy to pull by most any but the smallest trucks, and can be found with many floor plans that could work to your liking.The walk around bed may be difficult to find though. Also, the 24 footer is a great stepping stone if and when you find in the future you want to move up to a larger unit, as it's easy to find a future buyer for these trailers.

Any time of year IMHO is good to buy these trailers, however you may find pricing to be a little lower as the weather gets cooler. Be sure to have a check list in writing or in mind as got to have items or features. If you're handy in wood work, plumbing and or electrical, you could find some interesting projects out there. Be sure the trailer has the load capacity you'll require.

As very bad example, I've owned a 32 footer that I could never equal out the load properly because the two axles were so far forward, and the bedroom in the rear, it swayed ever so slightly during the ride. This in turn will over work the driver in short time. This was a straight pull trailer, something to be aware of also is tail swing-out during a tight turn with long trailers. You won't have this issue pulling a 24 footer.

As you look over some of the other posts in this forum, you will find items you'd like to address as to updates or modifications to what ever you settle on as your first RV. Be sure to take a really close look at the signs of past maintenance afforded to the trailer you settle on, tires being number one.

Best of luck
Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck in finding a TT that works for you. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You'll get massive bang for your buck in the slightly used market in the price range. There are some very high quality used TT's, some even 5+ years old that are almost new, just have to find them and know what to look for, ie water leaks and damage from them.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
bookmarked about 20 today that are local so that's a start. They were actually alot less and had slideouts with dedicated bedding for additional guests.

My husband has a chevy 1500 but is about to buy a 2014 Ram 1500.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

Hope you find the right rig for your needs! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #10
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Here is the tradeoff you can buy an older unit that is heavier but less costly and then pay more for a truck. Or you can buy one of the newer all aluminum framed ultralight units that can be towed by a 150/1500 truck with the right rear end and tow package. My rig is well balanced, tows well and is 30' long. Buy right the first time and you save taking a hit to move up.
There are heavy 25-30 trailers and there are light 25-30 trailers
There are lightweight 150 trucks and there are well designed 150 trucks.

I use my truck as a daily drive so i wanted a 150, i have previously owned a 2500 diesel that was very bulky to drive daily.... especially for my DW.
36' Itasca Meridian DP, now 2005 Newmar Scottsdale 34' Gas
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
I hope you find the unit you are looking for. We look at everything from the 24 to 30 foot range with all different sleeping configurations. We settled on a 30' trailer simply because it was the best floorplan for the price and with the feature we wanted.
FreddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
Going to look at two TT after work. Now alittle more nervous about whether or not we are buying the right truck.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
With a 1500 or 150 pick up, keep an eye on weight. Some here will say that you should never tow with a half ton grocery getter but it can be done and done safely. Know your GVWR and GCVWR and keep a safety margin. Depending on the trailer 30 foot could be pushing it.
Froman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #14
trailer GVWR is 9000. tow capacity for the truck we're looking at is 9,250. too close right?

travel trailer, newbie, travel