Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #1

Newbie Length question

Hi all,

I am upgrading from a pickup camper to a travel trailer. I am looking at a 36' unit.

Question: How hard is it to maneuver a 36 foot unit in most camp grounds?

I have done a lot of reading already - hence the question. Is the spacing usually adequate to back or pull between 2 other large units?

I have experience towing a boat that is 29' end to end on the trailer....just not in an RV campground.

thank you - Patrick
Sportman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

It's hard to predict, many National Park Campgrounds are older, so length is a real issue in maneuvering around and backing into spaces. Private and state campgrounds vary, some can handle a trailer that size, others are limited. Call ahead or mention when reserving a spot to be sure they can handle your RV. It will limit the number of spaces available in many CG I've visited. Also keep in mind pull-through spaces are often more expensive, spots too short to keep the tow vehicle in the campsite might also be an issue. Many CG don't allow parking on the grass.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Most camp grounds also ask you what your towing and if you have slides. This will help them better place you. KOA campgrounds usually have someone ahead of you in a golf cart to lead you to your spot. They also help you back in if you need it. Many campgrounds offer this free service. State parks in most cases do not. Always use someone to help you spot your trailer if at all possible. I have been pulling trailers for many years and always had someone watching me back up. I now drive a bus but still have my wife make sure I am not missing something. The 36' should back just like your boat. Have fun and let us know how it turns out
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You are going to be severely limited to campgrounds and available spots within campgrounds with a 36' trailer. I have to consider my choices carefully in my 30' trailer and find myself choosing very carefully which spots I might fit in or be able to maneuver into.

Don't forget, you have to fit your truck as well so you are over 50' long. I find sometimes I have to get creative with my parking of my truck but with 30' I can usually accommodate it in the larger spots in camp grounds. Another 6' would make things quite a bit more difficult.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #5

There is no way I would consider a 36 foot TT. Just way too long for a bumper pull. Consider a fifth wheel for that length. You will be far happier
Old 11-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
36' is big...Some older, smaller state parks you will be limited. That was one reason we kept iit to the 26' tt we have now. We do 95% of your camping in state and national parks.

Speaking for Ohio State Parks. Yes, many of them will have a good deal of sites for a 36' tt, but then there are others where it will be tight to turn into a site, unless you scouted out the park first hand.

As far as private parks..You will have better options there somewhat.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
There is no way I would consider a 36 foot TT. Just way too long for a bumper pull. Consider a fifth wheel for that length. You will be far happier
I agree with that 100%. No way would I want to have a rig longer than the largest Class A's and all the problems that would entail. Maneuvering through most parks would be a challenge. What in the world is the turning radius of that combination? That's one of the first things I would check out. I see many long 5th wheels in my travels and they have definite challenges also.
Good luck in your search but keep in mind that we are supposed to enjoy ourselves when traveling but that sounds like just the opposite.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a 29' TT (measured from bumper to hitch) and was able to put it most places without too much trouble. I would not have wanted to maneuver a 36'. Also be sure of your overall length. My house length was 25.5' but overall was 29'. If I was in the market for a 36' I would look at a 5th wheel as suggested before.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #9

It is a little on the long side for a TT BUT you shouldn't have that much of a problem if you make most of your reservations a few months in advance. It will be much less of a problem if you are staying at the larger resort type campgrounds. Can't speak speak on state parks.

The other thing is what are you towing with? It better be a long wheel base truck preferably a dually. It should tow just like a 30ft trailer. It will just be crazy long and a bit hard to get into tight spots. If I got the right deal on one I wound not hesitate to buy one. I always thought of 35ft as the limit for a tt anyway.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #10

Just a few feet can make the difference. There were more than a few times where our 37' 8" class A would not fit anywhere available at a CG, and a 32 or 34 footer would have been OK. Next time, I'm gonna go a bit smaller because Size Does Matter.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2.......I suggest taking a look at a 5er if you are going to go that big.....you might find the 5er just a little bit easier to manoeuver. As for CGs that can accommodate a longer rig, RVparkreview has a review which indicates if a CG is big rig friendly. We use it and haven't been steered wrong yet in terms of finding suiteable CGs for our 37' 5er. Good luck with your search and choice.....

Safe and Happy Travels.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #12

We went from a 20' tt to a 35' bumper pull tt/8' bed dually 4yrs ago. Best thing we ever did. Pulls so easy DW drives about 40% on long trips. We camped in many state's state parks, corp of eng parks and national parks. Length is a problem in older parks. I dont recall any times we could noy stay somewhere due to the length of our rig. I am very up front about the length when going to new parks.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #13

Coastal Campers
Our last trailer was 30' overall, and the present one is 35'. Towing with a full size van and a surf rack or storage rack on one end or the other, we are 55' overall. Yes, you have a more limited selection of suitable spaces, especially in older parks, but we have never found ourselves in a situation where we could not go where we wanted to. The problem we run into most often is overhead branches, and a fiver would be even taller than what we have. Backing up a long trailer is a little different from a large boat as the wheels on the TT are much further forward on the trailer and you have more overhang in the back - not really a problem once you get used to it, just a bit different. Go for it!
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
We went from a 20' tt to a 35' bumper pull tt/8' bed dually 4yrs ago. Best thing we ever did. Pulls so easy DW drives about 40% on long trips. We camped in many state's state parks, corp of eng parks and national parks. Length is a problem in older parks. I dont recall any times we could noy stay somewhere due to the length of our rig. I am very up front about the length when going to new parks.
One of the other posts did remind me about fuel stops w/a long rig. I do tend to fet fuel where stations are clustered so I have a choice if one is easier to maneuver in as nd out
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags