Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #1

Newbie: looking at a Venture Rv 32'

Hi all! I very much appreciate reading all of your posts so far.

I am looking at getting into camping.
TV:2014 Chevy 1/2T CC 4x4 3.42 5.3v8
GVWR 7500 lbs
GCWR 15000 lbs
Max trailer 9600 lbs

Camper interested in:
1. Venture RV 320vik
3 slides
Tongue weight 860 lbs
UVW 7250 lbs
GVWR 8600 lbs

Mostly staying within 100 miles. Few hills in eastern IA.

I have a class a cdl so I am not a rookie to towing trailers.
Towing thoughts?
Quality of the tt?

We have a 5 month old boy. My wife has 4 brothers with families and I have 1 brother with a family. Grandparents are all close. I can see many people from our families visiting while we camp. One of my wife's brothers has a 24' pontoon and would most likely stay with us. I could also see my purchase spurring other family members to purchase campers.

Any advice and thoughts are much appreciated!
iamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #2

Sounds like a good matchup if you pack light and get a good WD hitch. Now go get that whole big family out there camping.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #3

While I am far from any sort of expert....

Correct me if I wrong but you have 800# between your max and dry weight. You can count on 1000# for food, equipment, clothes etc. Plus you water (8.1# per gallon), plus gas, plus weight of pax.

So my figures you over trailer size, or under TV. We were at the same issue with our setup until late last year.

Our max tow was 10,000#. Trailer dry was 8600. By the time you add everything up I was overweight with a undersize TV. While I did do it for one year, being very careful where and how I traveled. I just did not feel safe doing this.

I have read several articles on this in travel and truck articles which talks about placing drivers at risk of being sued if they are involved in a towing-related accident

I think some more posting on the Tow vehical forum might be helpful.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamack View Post
Hi all! I very much appreciate reading all of your posts so far.

I am looking at getting into camping.
TV:2014 Chevy 1/2T CC 4x4 3.42 5.3v8
GVWR 7500 lbs
GCWR 15000 lbs
Max trailer 9600 lbs

Camper interested in:
1. Venture RV 320vik
3 slides
Tongue weight 860 lbs
UVW 7250 lbs
GVWR 8600 lbs

Mostly staying within 100 miles. Few hills in eastern IA.

I have a class a cdl so I am not a rookie to towing trailers.
Towing thoughts?
Quality of the tt?

We have a 5 month old boy. My wife has 4 brothers with families and I have 1 brother with a family. Grandparents are all close. I can see many people from our families visiting while we camp. One of my wife's brothers has a 24' pontoon and would most likely stay with us. I could also see my purchase spurring other family members to purchase campers.

Any advice and thoughts are much appreciated!
IMHO, you would be too heavy, especially with your family loaded up. I had a similar dilemma last year and ended up buying a 2500.
The problem with a half ton truck, is you gotta watch your payload capacity. You'll hit that way before you will the tow capacity. Your trailer is listed as 860lbs tongue weight. That's dry, from the factory without batteries, propane or the weight of your hitch. I suspect when fully loaded for camping, your tongue weight will be pushing 1000lbs. That comes off your trucks payload capacity before you start deducting the weight inside your truck. Full tank of gas, all occupants plus gear. It adds up fast.

My half ton had a payload capacity of 1600lbs, had a 5.7 V8 and 3.55 tranny. Fully loaded with my 32' Laredo (6800 dry) batteries, propane and WDH she pulled fine on the road but I'd get a lot of sway in the slightest breeze and, especially if passed by a semi. This was with only my wife and I in the truck. It got to where I didn't enjoy the trip out of worry about crashing. All the numbers with my setup were good, except for the payload capacity. I'm sure fully loaded I was either at or over my trucks payload capacity, even with the airbags I installed. This created a lot of sway. Now that I'm pulling with a 2500, things are much better.

I'm not saying you can't do it, especially with your experience. I'm just saying be aware of your limitations and know what you're getting into.
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Make the family members tent camp along side of you... you wake up refreshed, showered, and dry... They wake up absolutely roughing it... They'll be jealous enough to buy a trailer. Why buy a cow if the milk is free? Cruel, I know... but I'm old, I'm allowed...

Seriously, I agree with the above... you'll be overloaded.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #6

If you can get a 2500/f250 to tow with, you will be happier. But, if you pack right. You should be ok. I tow my Jayco with similar specs (7050 empty, 8300 loaded and weighed on CAT scale). My truck is the F150 eco boost. My challenge is payload. The 1300 pounds of available payload gets swallowed up quickly with my tongue weight (800 or so) and my passengers. I really can't afford to put anything in the truck, so I use my storage bins in the camper quite efficiently. The camper has its own breaks so the TV is not an issue there. I've towed this set up several thousand miles over the past 3 years, including a trip from Ohio to New York without an issue. This past weekend we had a lot of wind on the way home from camp, and that was not a fun experience. That was the first time I really wanted a bigger TV. Right now my truck is going to make do until I can afford the next step up. I don't go over 60mph unless I am passing someone. The truck can do it, but I find the drive much more pleasant when I am in the slow lane and not stressing over lane changes. Enjoy and good luck!

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #7

All I can say is, research, research, research. When the DW and I started our search for our TT, we had for our TV a 2003 Dodge Dakota extended cab 4.7 magnum with a tow package.
I researched our truck and found that the that the ax towing capacity we had was 6600#. Payload capacity was negligible, maybe 1000#. For the most part it would be just her and myself.
So starting point was what could the truck pull. Everything that I have read as a good rule of thumb, was that you should keep a safety factor of about 1000# under the max towing cap.
After looking at all the different trailers and comparing weights and lengths, we looked at BH styles (grand kids), slides or not, (adding a slide in our case added at least 800#).
We settled with the TT w have now, The StarCraft Autumn Ridge 235FB. the match with the TV put me at just over 800# to spare. I do have a Blue Ox WDH with anti sway.
I pulled this trailer for 2 years wit this truck with no real issues. The major thing was the wind and what it would do to my fuel consumption. Which sucked.
I have now upgrades the TV to a F50 with a diesel, so n more worries about whether or no to go somewhere.
Long story short, research and talk to others and know what your TV can handle.
It is nice to be able to drive down the road with the trailer on and relax while doing it.
Paddyboy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #8

Doubtful you will have the payload to handle the tongue weight on a 7-8k lb TT. Check your door sticker for max cargo capacity. Add 100 pounds for hitch and realize published tongue weights mean very little. Take the expected weight of the camper loaded and calculate 12-15%. This is what your tongue weight needs to be to reduce sway.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:22 AM   #9

Way too much trailer for that truck.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:28 AM   #10

Thanks!!

Very much appreciate the help!!!

Having looked at the posts here I agree, too much trailer in regards to TV gvwr.

And, I can't bring myself to spend 30k on a camper. Maybe 19k for a new 28' hideout. Maybe even 10k on a 4 yr old 25 to 28' bhs. Still thinking it over. Do I pay off bills over the next 5 years or go have some fun. The practical side says pay off bills. Fun side says go camping!! My wife is just going along, she's not 100% yet.
iamack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, vent