Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Newbie needs advice fixing up 1972 Terry travel trailer

I recently bought a 20' terry travel pak year 1972. I want to do work on it but I am complete newbie and would rather not blow myself up. If any one knew where to find an owners manual I would appreciate any assistance..

Also does anyone know where to find replacement parts, especially a new little stove.

I want to put in a Woodstove up front, any advice? Many thanks

ajg942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
I don't think you'll have a lot of luck finding a manual specific to your trailer...fortunately, most information you'd need is specific to the systems/appliances, and manuals for those are a bit easier to come by. Posting questions specific to the fridge, stove, heater, whatever will probably get good results.

Replacement stoves are out there, both new and used- much depends on matching the cutout where the stove belongs in your trailer. There isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with gas stoves of that vintage, so if you already have one, don't give up on it if you can't get it to work right away.

Per the woodstove:

I've seen it done, but it will consume a lot of interior space once you've made allowances for clearances from surfaces etc.

One critical thing to remember if you go ahead with that idea: make sure you install a stove that's certified for trailer/ mobile home use- those units are equipped with outside-air intake systems, a very critical safety feature in "airtight" living units like trailers/mobile homes.

The air required for combustion of the wood can very quickly deplete the oxygen that's inside the trailer, potentially leading to CO poisoning. Outside-air intake-equipped stoves take care of that problem.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the rebuild!

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Can't quite recall the specifics, but someone else inquired about a wood burner in their older camper. It got a lot of heated debate started (no pun intended). So just in case, be prepared for some opposition on that topic. There's probably a lot of reasons not to do it but I don't much like using the word never. That being said please keep safety first! Campers are kind of built like a house, but much smaller dimensions and sometimes a little different materials. They are fairly similar overall except the roof material. Also, in mine the wiring runs straight from breaker box up the wall to the ceiling. It goes from ceiling to where it needs to be then drops down the wall to that outlet or appliance. Can't say yours is for sure that way, but keep in mind some important wiring may be where you plan to cut, or near a heat source that would melt wire insulation and cause a short (thus starting a fire).
There is usually always people on Craigslist parting out campers that you can get used parts and appliances from. I've bought lots of stuff for mine from there including two rooftop a/c's, water heater and an awning, all at a fraction of the cost of new. And as stated, simple gas appliances like your stove have almost nothing to go wrong. Likely a plugged orifice or some cobwebs or mud dauber nests have plugged something up. If I don't know for sure it's all clean, I take it apart first and clean it before attempting to fire it. Last thing I need is a mouse nest catching fire and burning my trailer to the ground.

Good luck in your repairs! If you are handy and have worked on a variety of things you will find RV's aren't that complicated.
1988 SunLite Hideaway 9.5' TC project

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've seen a few travel trailers and a couple motorhomes with wood stoves in them but they were permanently parked. A great amount of preparation and attention to detail to make them safe was used. I would not just drop in a wood burning stove without giving it alot of thought and keep in mind that safety and fire prevention must come first!
1979 "Vintage" Pace Arrow 28 Ft,
Ragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Master of Disaster

My family had that model for many, many years... always have a soft spot for Terry. Best of luck!

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
the stoves are very simple.. like a gas grill... clean it real good and blow out the gas lines, not much can go wrong w/ them.
good luck,
panelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
just wanted to add... i'm new to this too ... no trailer expert but i have worked w/ propane... if you smell gas shut down and get checked for leaks ..call a place that sells gas for houses and it wont cost much.... sometimes nothing if you buy your lp from them
hope this helps, happy camping..

panelme is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie, travel