Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
If your looking for a project then this is the deal. But if your looking for a bargain, keep looking. I just finished re-doing a 1977 Palomino Pop Up and the costs are way over the worth. Here is a link to that Thread (Blog) of the project. Near the end is a link to the spreadsheet with all the costs.
Started the Renovation of our 1977 Palomino Yearling today

That would be a great project. Plan at least a year to Git-Er-Dun.

In the end though.

If you rebuild a 1949 Dodge you end up with a 1949 Dodge.

It's up to you, but there is no way to predict everything that is wrong or needing rebuilt, and everything you discover costs cash.

This unit, without a LOT of work, would make a pretty good "Hunting Blind" for the guys on "Duck Dynasty".

I'm pleased with how our PUP came out and I'd do it again, but I was looking for a winter project. I surly found one.

Good luck either way.
Dick

Here are some before and after pix of the Pup
The After Pictures are on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before After #2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	40961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chest of Drawers Before and After.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	40962  

Name:	Kitchen Before and After.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	40963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Before and After.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	40964  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #16

The only project worth taking on and actually getting your money back would be an vintage Airstream Trailer or Avion or similar. We call them "Roswell Trailers", plus they are still cool to own. The downside is they still go for $2000-$3000.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #17

Wow...beautiful job! She arrived today so hopefully I'll be able to get in this weekend and start scrounging around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
If your looking for a project then this is the deal. But if your looking for a bargain, keep looking. I just finished re-doing a 1977 Palomino Pop Up and the costs are way over the worth. Here is a link to that Thread (Blog) of the project. Near the end is a link to the spreadsheet with all the costs.
Started the Renovation of our 1977 Palomino Yearling today

That would be a great project. Plan at least a year to Git-Er-Dun.

In the end though.

If you rebuild a 1949 Dodge you end up with a 1949 Dodge.

It's up to you, but there is no way to predict everything that is wrong or needing rebuilt, and everything you discover costs cash.

This unit, without a LOT of work, would make a pretty good "Hunting Blind" for the guys on "Duck Dynasty".

I'm pleased with how our PUP came out and I'd do it again, but I was looking for a winter project. I surly found one.

Good luck either way.
Dick

Here are some before and after pix of the Pup
The After Pictures are on the bottom.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 AM   #18

Thanks everyone for your input. I understand everyone's point of view and I certainly don't disagree with any of it but I don't have 3K and I do have time. And the challenge of what I might find or even be able to do is really important to me.

I got it today and we're off and running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
My 2c worth : This could easily be a multi year $ 3,000 + project, and return nothing for your labor time spent.
Take a look around and see what's available in the $3,000 range, I'll bet you can find something that you could be out camping in, in a few weeks, not years.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #19

Keep us posted on the progress.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #20

Before I get too far into this, is there is a build forum on this site? I couldn't find one...

My day yesterday started out with finding feces still in the toilet! Hooray!

I started playing with the trailer and found some good things and one very potentially bad thing. That's where I need your help!

Good stuff first!

Just as I thought, the corners were pretty rotted out. I peeled the sidings back farther and from what I can tell they actually used two 2x2's side by side (or they may be 2x4's - can't tell yet until I pull them out) so the one 2x2 is pretty bad and the one next to it has some issues but not as bad as I thought. (but of course I'll replace them both) The horizontal studs that run from the corners (back to front) have rot only about 10"-12" in and it's not all of them.

Inside I started lifting up some floor, benches and as I thought early on, the bathroom is the worst and there was some rot that crept out into the entryway. However...the rest of the floor looks good! I peeled off some walls and aside from the corners I mentioned before, I saw lots and lots of dry wood!!! Hooray!

I found some manuals too...that was cool. None for the trailer itself but the water heater, furnace, stove and fridge. Weird to see them as they are 35 yrs old but have held up pretty well.

So I guess that's all the good stuff...ha ha.

I found duct tape covering the heater vent which was weird. But I didn't see a thermostat (but I have the manual! LOL) so maybe it just blew hot air all the time so that's why he covered it.

My biggest concern is that I found while pumping water through the system that the hot water heater leaks. Now I think I know what all that rust has done that you see in the pic. I will need to google/search (or if anyone has any direct advice) on what to do about a leaking hot water heater. BTW, I was only running cold water through the system when this happened. (is it normal for cold water to still go through the hot water heater?) I have not run water directly yet like with a hose hookup but I'm assuming I'll get the same results.

OH...one more thing! I can't tell if the fridge is working when I plug in electric. I believe I have all the dials set correctly. I read somewhere else that sometimes you have to leave it plugged in for an extended period of time if it's been sitting dormant for awhile? Tomorrow I'm going to try and fire up the propane and see what works that way.

So I guess that's about it....so today's questions in case anyone wants to chime in are:

***Leaky hot water heater...what to do. How much to replace, etc. I wrote down the serial number because I read that you can tell what brand it is that way? And that would probably tell me how much it might cost to replace? It's C465405

***If a stud is rotten only about 6" up, do I replace the whole 8 feet of it or if I can only replace a section how does one do that?

***I've already done a lot of searching on this site and anywhere I can online but have yet to find step by step instructions (video would be even better of course) on how to replace corner frame pieces. I know there has to be an exact procedure....if anyone has a link, that would be great.

***The god-awful 70's faux wood grain cabinets....can they be sanded so I can paint them? Can they be covered? They are awful sturdy and that would save me a ton of work if I could use them somehow but change them up. Hardware will need replaced but they are sturdy and already in so.....(I did find the answer to this online... It takes a lot of prep work but I can totally transform the cabinets without rebuilding them!)

I had some inspiration today....the u shaped dinette area? That lower vertical board that I'll call a kick plate - I think it would look cool to cover that with corrugated steel! I knew I was going to use that as decoration somehow in my tt but wasn't sure how. And I can continue the look throughout the rest of the trailer in other ways. And using it on the kick panel means I don't need to paint, cover or do anything with the current boards other then cover them. I love that stuff!

Thanks for reading this already long journal! I'll get some more pics up after cleaning some stuff out this weekend
Old 06-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #21

If it has been abandoned for a long time and it's in an area where it regularly rains, it is almost guaranteed to have extensive water damage and rot where you can't see it yet. Water damage can be the kiss of death on a trailer.

If the trailer will be a cool old trailer when done and if you want a project to keep you out of trouble with your idle time, then go for it. Working on a trailer is a lot of fun because it involves skill and knowledge in many different areas - plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc. But be prepared to sink a lot of time and money in to it that you will never get back. It's similar to restoring and old car in that way.

Mark Polk of RV Education 101 on the internet did a fascinating series of videos on rebuilding an old trailer. I watched them all on youtube once. You can buy the set on DVD. The link to his website and a youtube video is below. He gutted an old trailer to bare bones and started by replacing rotted wood. As I recall, he took a lot or all of the exterior skin off in the process. It was a serious rebuild. In the process, he modernized the interior with a lot of currently available things. I remember him adding a shower stall that is the walk-in type with toilet in it. Definitely worth watching.

Mark's RV Garage Episode # 6 Internet TV Series by RV Education 101 - YouTube

RV 101 Education with Mark Polk: A Fun Vintage Trailer Restoration Project with Mark Polk
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #22

run fast and far away from that project!!!! save the time , money, aggravation! find a better used unit elsewhere!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #23

I can't run from this because I already bought it.

To sum up...again... I don't care how much time it will take, I don't care how much work it will take...and yes money will be an issue but I've already figured out a way to leave the cabinets in and completely transform them which will save me a lot of time and money already. I'm not looking to make this a showroom piece but I would like it to be nice.

I understand my posts are long and I tend to go on and on sometimes but hopefully responses will be made after people read where I'm at so far....
Old 06-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #24

Thanks guys! I checked out several of his videos and they are great!

Good news for me today....the stove and oven work with propane! Woo hoo! The fridge works with electricity but haven't had a chance to try it with propane yet.

Good day as far as I can see

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
If it has been abandoned for a long time and it's in an area where it regularly rains, it is almost guaranteed to have extensive water damage and rot where you can't see it yet. Water damage can be the kiss of death on a trailer.

If the trailer will be a cool old trailer when done and if you want a project to keep you out of trouble with your idle time, then go for it. Working on a trailer is a lot of fun because it involves skill and knowledge in many different areas - plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc. But be prepared to sink a lot of time and money in to it that you will never get back. It's similar to restoring and old car in that way.

Mark Polk of RV Education 101 on the internet did a fascinating series of videos on rebuilding an old trailer. I watched them all on youtube once. You can buy the set on DVD. The link to his website and a youtube video is below. He gutted an old trailer to bare bones and started by replacing rotted wood. As I recall, he took a lot or all of the exterior skin off in the process. It was a serious rebuild. In the process, he modernized the interior with a lot of currently available things. I remember him adding a shower stall that is the walk-in type with toilet in it. Definitely worth watching.

Mark's RV Garage Episode # 6 Internet TV Series by RV Education 101 - YouTube

RV 101 Education with Mark Polk: A Fun Vintage Trailer Restoration Project with Mark Polk
Old 06-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I don't feel so bad know, My toilet was empty. I had to gut the inside and replace all the floor. The had a whole in the vent and did not fix it for a couple of years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5080026.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	41158   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5080029.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	41159  

Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #26

Djdawg,
Take lots of pics for us, please. I surely hope frustration does not overtake your optimism...good luck!
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #27

Ok....this could be bad. I tore off most of the ceiling and some of the wall....this is what I found. Check out the videos....

Walls down Pt 1 - YouTube

Walls down Pt 2 - YouTube

I need thoughts. Keep these things in mind when sharing with me...

What I do have:
Time
Patience
Elbow grease
SOME knowledge on how to do things but haven't remodeled an RV or built a house...but I am eager to learn.

What I DON'T have:
A lot of $

I don't mind that it's a project....I don't mind how long it might take. I just don't want to be paying more $ by the time it's all said and done as opposed if I leveled the whole thing and started from scratch. Keep what I can (maybe even the aluminum?) and build it from the beginning. The thought of that seems overwhelming but maybe I can do it....
Old 06-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
You do have a project and it will cost more then you will get out of it. Would I do it,,Yup I would. I like a challenge. I would find recycled materials. Look on craigslist under free in your area. I have found many free building material that can be used. I would check the floor area and start there getting the foundation strong and work my way up. Take pictures as you go so you have a reference on how to put back together.

Tags