Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
rsy

Fleetwood Owners Club
Newbie purchase questions

I have a close to final purchase of a new 2009 Fleetwood Wilderness X Treme 25 foot trailer. The price is good being advised the company is now out of business and no warranty comes with it. Buying a new TT at 30% off MSRP with no warranty still seems a good deal to me; thoughts?
1. they offer an "extended warranty" which from my experience with cars is next to money thrown away. My trailer lacks amenities such as dishwasher, washer dryer, etc. Generally, are these warranties worthwhile and if so under what conditions? eg a 3 year warranty might not be worthwhile because little is likely to go wrong in this period.
2. They are pushing a "Diamond Coat" finish on the fiberglass to protect from UV for 6 years which they say will eliminate my need to wax the TT regularly. Is this accurate and worthwhile?
Thanks to anyone having an opinion on these questions

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #2

1)In this economy 25 to 30 percent is the norm according to most reports. IMHO I would run from any Fleetwood product. They did not have the greatest of reputations. One of the reasons they are gone from the land scape.
2) Generally a waste of money. this sort of thing is a hugh money maker for the dealer. Often 50% profit. IF you feel like giving them that much money, by all means go for it. But I would pass.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would get a warranty of some kind unless any issue or any loss is of no financial concern. Generally, extended warranties are money makers for those who issue them. They can in some instannces provide a financial protection blanket from high ticket problems. Really, any kind of warranty is for financial investment protection just as any insurance. Protection Limitations to cost value are high since the risks could be high. I was glad to get a 1 yr, 3 yr and a 5 yr protection plan mainly for high ticket items (Engine, chassis, Tranny, Frame, drivetrain, roof, walls, Electrical, Plumbing, etc). we just saw a posting where a delaminated wall cost $37,000 to repair. Whew!!! talk about knock your socks off! If you sell or trade, the unused pro-rated portion of the warranty is usually refunded.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
30% off is not enough discount for an orphan product without a warranty. You can get 30% off on any units MSRP with a warranty in this market and especially where you are with winter in the wind. The Dealer is blowing smoke up your southbound end!

If you can get the 30% off and intend to keep the trailer for several years (orphans depreciate faster than non-orphans in the first few years), get the dealer to include a 3 year extended warranty at no charge to you that covers the original manufacturers warranty as well as the extended portion, they are available.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At 30% off, the dealer should include the extended warranty on a Fleetwood product.

The Diamond coat is a waste of your money and a BIG money maker for the dealer. The warranty of this product is not worth the paper it is written on. If you want some fun reading, read it.

Ken
Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
rsy

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the candid and knowledgable advice! Going into retirement on a fixed income, you may have saved much misfortune!
I can back out of this deal and maybe look for a newer used TT or 5th wheel (eg 2007.08)that still has warranty left. I can't seem to find a source that tells me what are the best manufacturers. Bigfoot and Citation seem to be around the top; is this accurate and what others would you recommend? I have to trade my existing SUV to haul anything so I could move to either a TT or 5th wheel...thoughts?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
CD

rsy
Among others, Artic Fox is a good choice. Regarding the TV, IMHO I would use a 1T dually on anything but the quite small and the big ones. The duals sure improve stability. When you decide what trailer you want, then decide what you need for the TV and then go at least 1 size bigger.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #8

Bigfoot is gone.
In reality there are only a few manufacturers still in business.
Forest River makes several good quality RV's in their price point.
At the top of the scale are Cedar Creek and Cardinal
keystone is comparable with the Montana.
Thor makes several different brands among them is Komfort. Personally I think the Thor products are rather cheap in their respective price points.
Carriage and Newmar are also still in business. Beware of weights with any fivers or large pull trailers. If you were to let us know some more information I am sure we could offer other suggestions. Like what sort of truck do you have? Size of truck? Type of camping you intend doing? Long term or weekend? Places you like camping? National forest/state parks, or resorts? Lastly budget?
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't understand something... Who is saying Fleetwood no longer has a manufacture's warranty? I have a Fleetwood and it does carry a new manufacture's full warranty.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I don't understand something... Who is saying Fleetwood no longer has a manufacture's warranty? I have a Fleetwood and it does carry a new manufacture's full warranty.
It's my understanding that with the TT division gone, only after-market warranties are available for those orphans. I'm sure that's the no warranty being referred to.

The coach division, which your rv falls under, still has the mfr ltd 1yr/15,000 mile coach & 3yr/45,000 mile structural warranties through RV OWNERCARE.

rsy,

I'm with Rusty here. Not a good deal unless they're including the warranty with that 30% off. Nix the Diamond Coat. Use that money to buy a good wax & a TT cover.

Other good quality mfr's to consider (IMO): Jayco, NuWa, Newmar & Carriage.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:29 AM   #11

Drv, Mobile, Elite Suites, still in business.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote