Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #1

Question Newbie Question Regarding Length

Okay, this is really simple but confusing to me.

When you make a reservation in a campsite, they asked the length of your equipment. Does this mean the TT or the TT and the TV?

BethV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Trailer only. There is flexibility to put your TV, less so with the TT.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #3

depends on the campground. I find in Oregon state parks it's for the trailer and vehicle. I just fit. If I picked one just for trailer length my truck wouldn't fit. But national and federal campgrounds seems you pick just by trailer length and they allow space for the vehicle.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethV View Post
Okay, this is really simple but confusing to me.

When you make a reservation in a campsite, they asked the length of your equipment. Does this mean the TT or the TT and the TV?
Good question! I've always assumed it's the length of the trailer or RV you're going to put on the site, NOT including TV or toad. Now here's a related question: The body of my TT is 23' long, but hitch-to-bumper is about 27'. Which number should I be giving campgrounds?

Roger
Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Good question! I've always assumed it's the length of the trailer or RV you're going to put on the site, NOT including TV or toad. Now here's a related question: The body of my TT is 23' long, but hitch-to-bumper is about 27'. Which number should I be giving campgrounds?

Roger
27'
Old 03-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
Trailer only. There is flexibility to put your TV, less so with the TT.

I've never seen a CG care about the added length of your tow vehicle, just the RV.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #7

Question Thank you

From your answers, for the most part expect it to be just the TT but if in Oregon, , think bigger.

Since we have a "smaller" TT at 27', in general, would CGs have a problem if we added the length of the TV?
BethV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #8

I always snag the biggest site. Even if it's larger than what I have. Never been an issue.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethV View Post
From your answers, for the most part expect it to be just the TT but if in Oregon, , think bigger.

Since we have a "smaller" TT at 27', in general, would CGs have a problem if we added the length of the TV?
If you tell them you have a 45' TT, you might get told they don't have a site big enough for you.

I have a 25' TT, which based on the online reservation websites seems to be the point between short and long. If I say 26' TT, many sites put me on the longer sites that I prefer. I notice no difference between 26' and 30' from a reservation standpoint.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

Best thing to do when asked what the length of ask them if they want just the trailer length or the combination of the vehicles. I have had it both ways .
Old 03-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #11

They have a campground here in CA I reserved once then canceled. They asked what my trailer length was and I told them 34' spare tire to front of hitch. (It's a 31' Keystone) They said no problem. Well later when I called to confirm I found out I'd have no place to park my truck! They said they had an area for my truck inside the park but it was first come first serve and I may have to park outside. I cancelled. They should of told me that from the beginning. This is only on a couple sites in the park not all sites.

Most parks that are good know roughly what you have if you just give them the listed length of you rig. I normally go to the same places all the time as I am a weekender. But if I go to a new place I always ask the size of the space. My favorite place has spots that are over 20' wide and 50'-60' long and they have spots that are up to 70' X 42' which I like.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #12

Campgrounds want to know the length of your trailer only. I have always assumed there were two measurements, If I am bragging we are 38', if I am paying we are 35'. Sometimes we stick out a bit further from the site than others. I have yet to not fit into a 35' back in site.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
If you tell them you have a 45' TT, you might get told they don't have a site big enough for you.

I have a 25' TT, which based on the online reservation websites seems to be the point between short and long. If I say 26' TT, many sites put me on the longer sites that I prefer. I notice no difference between 26' and 30' from a reservation standpoint.
I find in national/federal parks the largest sites are 40' as they are talking trailer only. State parks seem to go to 60' as they account for both.

Tags