Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
Not trying to hijack but when I pulled my 5er home. 100mi, it did a lot of up and down shifting to maintain 65. 5.4 f250 I ended up getting 8.9 mpg.... shoulda been above 10 I figured. My next outing will be 30 mi on the highway. Should I turn the OD off and keep er at 60?
Your 5er probably weighs a lot more than my Jay Feather 226. I don't go over 60 (even on interstates) when I'm towing, and my Hemi gets between 11 and 12 mpg towing. (18-19 not towing).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We are nearing the end of a 4,000-mile towing trip. Midland to Denver to Ogden to the eastern border of Oregon to Salt Lake City to Phoenix to El Paso now, and then Monday we'll go on home to Midland County. 2012 F-150 EcoBoost with SelectShift 6-speed automagic tranny with tow-haul mode. Crossed the Rockies on I-80 going to Oregon, and on I-10 coming home.

Using nothing but 91-octane premium gas, MPG has been a bit over 10 MPG, cruising at 64 or 65 MPH and dragging a TT that is less than 5,000 pounds. Tow-haul works great for coming down the grades. One time we got to test the brakes. Ford IBCS and brakes, and the trailer brakes, all worked great. When I first realized that traffic ahead was at a standstill because of an overturned 18-wheeler, I thought I was probably not going to be able to stop in time. But the rig stopped great. Whew!

The F-150 with 6-speed SelectShift tranny is a lot smarter than I am. So I select D and cruise control and allow the computer to figure it all out. On relatively level roads, it never downshifts out of 6th. But on grades it will select 5th or 4th or even 3rd to keep up the 65 MPH cruise control speed. Coming down the mountain with tow/haul turned on, it will downshift to 2nd if necessary to prevent exceeding 65 MPH.

Yeah, I know I could save a bit of gas by killing the cruise and going up grades at a lower speed, but I'll do that when I can't afford to allow the truck to do its thing.

No regrets so far for choosing the 3.15 axle ratio or 4x2. The EcoBoost engine has plenty of power to drag that trailer up 8% grades without breathing hard. In Devil's Canyon on the Snake River, I locked the E-locker rear diff and pulled Nephew's motor boat up a slick ramp with no problem.

So I'm a happy camper.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote