Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Beware of these TTs marketed as "1/2 Ton Towable" also take the tow ratings of most 1/2 Ton tow vehicles with a huge grain of salt. I have a friend with a Durango, he tows a 23' Komfort that is similar to a Nash 22GQ but a bit lighter (Komfort no longer makes this model). I ran into him a couple of days ago and ask him how it towed - he said that the Komfort was just right sized for the Durango - he would not want anything much bigger.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #16

With the kids, a bunkhouse model is almost a must. Weekends could be easily done with a small light bunkhouse. Jayco makes the super-light and feather-lite trailer series, but I don't know if they actually fall within the range of a Durango or not. My friend in NY found a 25 foot camper that weighed less than 5000 lbs (keystone, I think?), but it had little to no insulation for fall or early spring camping. Not sure when you wanted to use it.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck1 View Post
IMHO it is insane to advertise that big of TT to towed with a 1/2T PU. Our 28' TT had a so called "dry weight" of 6300. The real world weight is approx 9K. That 35' TT with a 7K dry weight is going to weigh as much as ours when loaded and is a lot longer. I towed ours with a 3/4T but the 1T is much better. It handles much better and big trucks/RVs don't push it around like before.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum! We started with RVing with the boys were 5 and 7. 5 years later, we've upgraded to a larger unit, and my oldest (now 12) wants to use it for his honeymoon trip across country (hopefully in quite a few years!). People told me that if the kids start at a young age, they will be RVers for life! It seems like that with us! When first looking, however, we truly thought we'd buy a new 5th wheel, had the truck and everything, but saw a used Class C that fit our needs, sold the truck and got the RV. Best thing we ever did. Until we bought a bigger one this year! Congratulations and best of luck!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
I have a 21ft 2008 Jay Feather Sport. Originally, I bought it to be towed behind a 2005 Grand Cherokee Jeep Hemi. I wasn't comfortable so I traded it for a used 2003 3500 Dodge Ram Diesel truck. The trailer has a queen bed, a bunk, a table that folds into a bed, and a couch that jackknifes into a bed. I am a solo traveler so I use most of the space for travel (queen and bunk). I hung a bar in the bathroom for a closet-works great, and I use the tub for light storage.

My pup and I were very comfortable on an 18K trip last spring/summer/fall because I didn't have to worry about whether my tow vehicle could handle the load. My kids and grandkids visited me for a week and I had to do a bit of rearranging, but we managed to sleep comfortably though I wouldn't want to have that many people in the trailer for a long period of time unless we had ideal weather. Four people moving around inside a trailer that says it can sleep 6 is challenging-that's when you use the outdoors a lot!
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #20
GPW

Whatever you get , make SURE it has a Good Roof !!!!
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #21

Nor'easters Club
I just bought a new top me tt so ill share a few things that I was looking for, having camped my whole life! One major thing was hight. My old camper only had one step into it which sometimes caused clearance issues and evacuation of holding tank issues. Also, look at rigs with slide outs! They really open up the trailer and give lots of space. When concidering weight, look at the GVWR. I usually figure ill bring around 1000 lbs of gear but the gvrw will sometimes allow for more than that. Also, you might n ot want to get right the limit your suv can handle, esspecially if you haven't towed before. Good luck and happy camping!
charlie.b is offline   Reply With Quote