Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #15

Personally I never use the city water hookup, I always fill the tank and use the water from there. I just do this to keep the water in my fresh water tank 'fresh'. Obviously others disagree with doing it this way, and it is a bit more effort. But I generally only have to fill on the 3rd or 4th day, so it's not like it takes a lot of time out of my hectic schedule of sitting and relaxing.

To the OP, if you're using fresh water from the tank then just leave the water pump on all the time, that way you've always got water pressure. Additionally if you hear that pump working when no one is running water then you know you've got a drip somewhere. Most likely something as simple as a faucet not turned all the way off, but it could also be a leaky line.
If you're using water from the city water hookup then you could have the pump either on or off, it just won't have anything to 'do' because you're on city water.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry folks, but I disagree with those that posted to leave your pump or city water turned on all the time. If you are away from your RV and spring a leak you could flood the entire unit. Turn them OFF when away!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Isn't the point of the regulators to reduce flow? From my understanding the ones for our trailers all reduce to the same amount.
I got a pretty heavy brass one from the dealer for about $6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob46 View Post
The purpose of the Pressure regulator is to reduce pressure, not flow rate (or volume).
The fact that they do reduce flow rate is a consequence of a cheap ($6.00) implementation
JimBob46
Correct
A GOOD water pressure regulator, (as the name implies) regulates the water pressure...without restricting the water flow.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #18

Well my pressure is definitely reduced with the cheap one. No doubt about that.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Well my pressure is definitely reduced with the cheap one. No doubt about that.
That's not at all unusual.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #20

And water flow seems fine as well.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #21

On the hot water tanks, if your trailer was "winterized" there is a good chance the tank is being bypassed. When you connect to water, and open the hot water line there should be a lot of air as the water displaces the 6 gallon space in the tank. If you get water without much air, you are probably in bypass. You can open the pressure relief valve and see if air or water comes out as a test. Make sure not to light the tank until you are sure water is present.

On our Jayco, it takes a while for the propane to make it to the fridge and the hot water tank in the rear of the unit. I usually turn on the propane, and the light a burner on the stove. That bleeds a lot of air from the line before it will light. Then I flip the fridge to gas only, and make sure it lights and then turn it off. After that, the hot water always lights just fine. If I don't follow this process, the hot water tank tries three times to light and then has to be reset (flip the switch off and on) to try again.

The best advice is to swallow any pride, and walk up to a fellow camper and ask for help. Most folks out there are super friendly and more than willing to share their experience. I've learned a lot on this forum as well as by helping other campers troubleshoot their challenges.

Good luck!!

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
Old 04-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Sorry folks, but I disagree with those that posted to leave your pump or city water turned on all the time. If you are away from your RV and spring a leak you could flood the entire unit. Turn them OFF when away!
That's a good point.
Not that I'm going to change my ways, but it IS a good point.
Of course if I ever come back to a flooded RV I'm going to kick myself for not having listened to Pepper2 when I had the chance.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
x2...

there needs to be a RVing 101 thread on this site.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #24

Hey, I'm new too, and it seems like there is quite a bit to remember. It gets easier with each trip.

Have you considered making a checklist?

We have a notebook which is being converted to our personal checklist. For the first three trips, it seemed like I always remembered to level side to side, just as the hitch ball popped free of the hitch. Grrrrr. I think it was because I was so focused on just getting the trailer on the pad.

Anyway, the notebook has been a good way for us to jot things down that we learn from other campers, from this site, and our own experiences. Everything from things to check on when we get back, food we liked, campsite notes, and things to buy for the trailer.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #25

Mbringer. That's a great idea you got there. I do agree use a white drinking safe hose. I always use a pressure reg. Add a surge protector to electric line.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I took a little different route. Since I am a research nut, once I did my walkthrough and got it home I made sure I had the basics down...basic set up, monitoring, uses of different systems and so on. I knew I could at least hit the road with a basic understanding. While at home, over the course of a few weeks/months I chose a system and read up on it, researched it, learned each system, example...water system, from spigot to faucet/shower/toilet to where the unfun stuff comes out. I used this site extensively and just typed in search words and tons of stuff came up. Also, I just asked on here. I also like to talk to the people in the campgrounds and looked at different set ups and its always a good conversation starter, fellow travelers seem to never be short of suggestions good or bad. I hope this helps, it reduced the overwhelming feeling of trying to know it all at once.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Good information here.

I too recently bought a new trailer. The dealer did a good walk through/.set up with me. It was not until we set it up the first time that I found the walk was lacking at best.

I knew how to hook up water, electric, and sewer hose. I knew to turn on propane and bleed the line lighting a stove burner. Then light water heater on gas. I knew to bleed pressure water at each tap.

Just you basic survival skills. The rest is basically unknown and the TT bible of no real help on use. The real info need comes from use and past experience.

SO, Thanks to all posters here for paying it forward and helping us newbies
Old 04-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have made a checklist that I keep on my iphone for each time we hook up and pull away. I am scared to death that I am going to leave a compartment door open or worse the electrical cord plugged in as I drive away. Like a pilot I have my wife read through the list and I answer yes or no for each item. Seems to work for me.

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags