Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #1

Newbie with a few questions..

Hi everyone. Just got a 2013 Bullet Premier, 30ft long, w/two large slide-outs. Camped last week and it was about 90 degrees & sunny. The A/C didn't seem to keep the camper as cool as I thought it would, except at night, then it was chilly.
Also, the refridgerator didn't seem that cool, either..? The drinks seemed to be just cool enough to drink, but not that cool. The milk seemed just below room temp.

I realize it was a hot weekend, but is this A/C & fridge issue normal? Am I expecting too much? Any input or advice appreciated. Tks.
Kenkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I am in Texas where 100+ degree days are common. Last weekend I camped for a few days in a site with no shade. My 2 AC units kept the coach cool & comfy and the refrig. kept everything cold on setting 2 of 9. Having said that, remember an AC unit can cool only about 15 - 20 degrees below the outside temperature. If the sun is beating down on the side with the refrig. then it may have problems too. Do you have an awning on that side? That might help. Can you find a site with shade? I moved to a shady site with only 30 amp. service and could use only one AC unit but I was fine.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

At 100f the RV absorption fridge , can't do it's job without help in the chimney , check to see if there are any fans in the area behind the fridge to help move air up and over the coils of the cooling unit.
If the fridge works well in cooler ( 75f ) temps then adding fans will help, if it doesn't work well then it requires attention.
If you have a single A/C in an RV with large floor area , it will struggle to keep up. Start the A/C early in the day , shade the windows, and avoid when possible opening the door; very hard to do with kids or pets.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

I have a 32ft couger and have camped all over Arizona and Nevada. Your frig should work and I would check your settings and make sure it is set to the coldest setting possible then adjust down as needed. If it is not working take the unit back, same with the a/c. In 100 plus heat, in the desert it should take an hour or two for the ac to cool the unit down. If not, your cooling system my not be fully charged. Just my .02 but your units should work so I would make them fix/adjust them.
gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
My '05 Dolphin has a basement A/C, like in the house.I have traveled in TX, OK, NM, etc., etc. in temps well over 100. The inside temp stays at what I set it to, works great.

What I found with the refrigerator is that when going camping, I start the refrigerator the night before I leave. I installed a 50 amp box at my house, so it is no issue to do this, but even when running on LPG, that takes very little to run it over night. By doing this, I have no issue keeping it at the normal cold setting and my food and drinks (especially the beer) stays cold. If I just start it up an hour or two before I leave, it takes much longer to get to the desired temp.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #6

If you don't already have one exclusively for the RV, be sure to buy two thermometers. One for the refrigerator and one for the freezer section. That way, you can have some sort of reference as to where the temperature inside the two compartments may be from time to time.

You can usually buy an inexpensive one at Walmart, etc. for less than $5.

The freezer, of course, should be around zeroº F and the refrigerator in the range of 33-39º F.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #7

To add, how long did you let the refr cool down for? I'd give it 24hrs before you start loading food in it. That way it can cold soak the whole box.
Same with AC. If you turn it on at 4PM in the sun, the walls are hot, the roof and floor is hot. So it has to cool your hot cabin air as well as all the heat radiating from the walls/floors/roof.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #8

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROC View Post
If you don't already have one exclusively for the RV, be sure to buy two thermometers. One for the refrigerator and one for the freezer section. That way, you can have some sort of reference as to where the temperature inside the two compartments may be from time to time.

You can usually buy an inexpensive one at Walmart, etc. for less than $5.

The freezer, of course, should be around zeroº F and the refrigerator in the range of 33-39º F.
X2 in regard to thermometers.

Another option is to buy a small extra refrigerator (Camping World has a small Dometic). This can go in a bin or even in the coach for drinks and stuff so that your regular refrigerator is not opened up us much, or vice versa (we use our as extra freezer space).
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:57 AM   #9

Actually, I start the refrigerator up the day before packing it and pack it only with cold food and drinks...Also, regarding the A/C, I leave it on high, day & night, for the whole trip, so there's never really any down time that it has to make up for...
Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenkaman View Post
Hi everyone. Just got a 2013 Bullet Premier, 30ft long, w/two large slide-outs. Camped last week and it was about 90 degrees & sunny. The A/C didn't seem to keep the camper as cool as I thought it would, except at night, then it was chilly.
Also, the refridgerator didn't seem that cool, either..? The drinks seemed to be just cool enough to drink, but not that cool. The milk seemed just below room temp.

I realize it was a hot weekend, but is this A/C & fridge issue normal? Am I expecting too much? Any input or advice appreciated. Tks.
Both units have their limitations, the manufacturer isn't going to give you an A/C unit or fridge any bigger than absolutely necessary, you might be at the top end. The amount of insulation in your roof and walls will make a big difference. Keep all the shades closed too. The cooler the rig is inside, the better your fridge will work. I have a battery operated fan inside of the refrigerator to circulate the cold air that helps considerably, and a small, dorm size refrigerator outside for the 'kids' beverages to minimize the traffic.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #11

Thanks to all...I think it might be safe to say that maybe I'm expecting my A/C and fridge to perform similar to my units at home...? I guess I'll have to get a small fan to circulate the fridge air a bit more for better cooling, and for the A/C, I'm sure it could be a lot hotter in the RV without it? I guess having "some" a/c circulating is better than none...? Thanks again...Will post many more questions soon, you've been great!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #12

The refr should work as well a home refr, if all is right with it. Air flow in the back, among other things, will cause lack of cool. Are you parking it level?
AC will work as good too.
The problem is the insulation in the unit. That is usually sub par.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #13

Here's my solution to air flow on a hot day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-55599763.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	43583   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2939263460.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	43584  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-308709635.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	43585   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2018891612.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	43586  

Whitedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #14

My Dad uses the small fan in the fridge; it really helps.
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags