Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
Newbie with brand quality question

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of looking for a new travel trailer and could use some help from some more seasoned campers. In general, is it usually better to buy a lower end basic new model or an older,nicer used model if they're about the same money? The brands I've been looking at new are:
KZ Sportsmen Classic
Gulfstream Ameri-lite Super-lite
Starcraft AR-One

The used models I'm looking at are about the same prices as the new, but are a bit larger,have slideouts,oven,range hood,sofa,ect... They are:
2005 Sunline Solaris
2007 Sun Valley Extreme
It's been about 15 years since I owned my last travel trailer, and things have certainly changed since then. Trailer weight won't be an issue; they will be towed once to a private campground and not moved again. Any advice would be appreciated!

bren5666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 .

You will not find a more helpful or informative RV website anywhere.

It has been several years since we owned a travel trailer and we are now on our third motorhome. From our experience owning/using RV's since 1975, I believe it is always better to find a higher end gently used rig than paying for a new one. You avoid the pretty steep depreciation associated with buying new and, in many cases, the first owner has been through the often frustrating process of getting the new unit de-bugged.

Now the challenge is finding a used rig that has been well cared for and maintained to your expectations. I am always amazed at how much some folks will pay for a nice, new RV, and then let it go to pot in just a few years. Take your time and good luck in your search.

Hoping your enjoy whatever you end up with.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
I like the used tt's...not a fan at all of KZ.
Plenty of good used units out there if you're not in a rush to buy.

I would keep an eye out at local storage facilities. When the owner is tired of paying rent to store a trailer they aren't using you can get them very reasonable.
1998 3500 Dodge DRW, 130,000 mi. on a 5.9L,24Vdiesel engine w/ turbo, 4 spd. 4:10 rear.
2003 Artic Fox 31W 2,10lb. rat terriers and "the cat"
Back to fulltime in 2014..YEA!!!
daydreamer36535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
In my opinion the KZ's are bare bones, with "0" styling...box on wheels and the single axle will not tow as nice a tandem axle unit. The other two are also your basic travel trailer options.

That tells ya something if the 2005 or 2007 used ones are in the same price point as the new ones. You should not be paying that much for a 2005...when the 2014's are being sold...

About what price point are you looking at? how many do you need to sleep?, at the private CG will you have a sewer and water site?

I would defiantly get a unit with slides....
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Welcome to the forum.

Mikeyk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie, quality