Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebear View Post
I do not have the HD towing, however I have a weight distribution hitch rated for much more than I can tow, at 10,000 lbs, with anti sway bars.
The WD hitch is not your limiter. GVWR of the truck is probably your limiter, and the limited GVWR of your truck limits the hitch weight of any trailer you can tow.

Weigh the wet and loaded Subbie on a CAT scale - without the trailer, but loaded with all the people and stuff you'll have in the truck when towing - including the shank and ball mount of your WD hitch along with a full tank of gas. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from the GVWR of the truck. The answer is the max hitch weight you can haul without being overloaded. Divide that max hitch weight by 0.13, and the answer is a good estimate of the max weight of any TT you can tow without being overloaded.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

The WD hitch is not your limiter. GVWR of the truck is probably your limiter, and the limited GVWR of your truck limits the hitch weight of any trailer you can tow.

Weigh the wet and loaded Subbie on a CAT scale - without the trailer, but loaded with all the people and stuff you'll have in the truck when towing - including the shank and ball mount of your WD hitch along with a full tank of gas. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from the GVWR of the truck. The answer is the max hitch weight you can haul without being overloaded. Divide that max hitch weight by 0.13, and the answer is a good estimate of the max weight of any TT you can tow without being overloaded.
Smokey
Thank you so much for the insight. I will do all you suggest even before shopping for a TT. Do not want to void my warranty in any way. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #17

Only 5000lbs? My liberty diesel can do that and that is derated from the Euro rating of 7400lbs. I would think a 1/2 ton suburban is capable of doing more.

As for the TT, if you want under 5k, ultralite in the 20 to 24 foot. I have been searching for that size myself.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan7 View Post
Only 5000lbs? My liberty diesel can do that and that is derated from the Euro rating of 7400lbs. I would think a 1/2 ton suburban is capable of doing more.

As for the TT, if you want under 5k, ultralite in the 20 to 24 foot. I have been searching for that size myself.
For myself I would prefer a heavy trailer with more weight on the front. The light long units will wag the tail much more.

My friend had a light 30ft towed with a 2500 and a wind gust while doing a curve tip the trailer on its side.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #19

I have a 2009 Keystone Passport 280bh 31' and only weighs 4700 lbs dual sway bars and wd hitch and pulled it with 08 f150 king ranch and had no issues what so ever. Very nice tt and easy to pull.