Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you love coffee, take a coffee press or some other means for making coffee without electricity. We stayed in a state park with no hookups and generators could not be turned on until 10am, so our Mr Coffee was useless....that was a long morning.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #16

KZ RV Club
The level app we use is "clinometer". Have it on iPhone and iPad. Sync the two up and put the iPad in the coach when we get to the park. Can then see level on the iPhone when backing up and if we need blocks

Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #17

When dumping, even if you have a fresh water flush system for the black tank, dump a 5-gallon bucket of water down the toilet. All the solids end up in a pile directly under the toilet, and this way they get dislodged. Usually 2 buckets does the trick for us.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
If you love coffee, take a coffee press or some other means for making coffee without electricity. We stayed in a state park with no hookups and generators could not be turned on until 10am, so our Mr Coffee was useless....that was a long morning.
Or, take the top off the Mr. Coffee glass coffee pot, remove and take the plunger off the bottom of the plastic coffee filter holder (both are snap on parts - save for re-assembly). The plastic filter holder fits nicely in the top of the coffee pot.
Add filter paper and coffee. Boil water on stove (tea pot or pan) and pour hot water (slow) on/into the coffee filter. Only do 1/2 pot at a time this way - if you need more than the 1/2 pot just add coffee & hot water when you are ready for that next cup.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH
Add to that check list: vents closed, antenna down, and water pump off.
Good idea
Old 07-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt
Or, take the top off the Mr. Coffee glass coffee pot, remove and take the plunger off the bottom of the plastic coffee filter holder (both are snap on parts - save for re-assembly). The plastic filter holder fits nicely in the top of the coffee pot.
Add filter paper and coffee. Boil water on stove (tea pot or pan) and pour hot water (slow) on/into the coffee filter. Only do 1/2 pot at a time this way - if you need more than the 1/2 pot just add coffee & hot water when you are ready for that next cup.
Good idea...desperate times call for desperate measures! :-)
Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #21

I've learned that on a non-concrete pad I have to start with my trailer having the driver side high instead of level. The slid outs are on that side and will pull the driver side down when opened.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezspdr

Good idea, what is the name of the app and is it for Android?
Yes Android I don't know if I pod has one or not
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #23

Don't know if this is helpful but it's what I do. Each time I hook up, right before I pull out, I walk around the trailer/TV and double check everything. Each time I stop for fuel, potty breaks or whatever, I do a walk around. I check my hitch, bars, saftey chains etc... at each stop. Never found a problem yet but I feel better doing it. Good habit to have in my opinion.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdinwv View Post
Don't know if this is helpful but it's what I do. Each time I hook up, right before I pull out, I walk around the trailer/TV and double check everything. Each time I stop for fuel, potty breaks or whatever, I do a walk around. I check my hitch, bars, saftey chains etc... at each stop. Never found a problem yet but I feel better doing it. Good habit to have in my opinion.
X2 on this one. Check/walk around just prior to leaving.
I had someone pull (steal) the safety pin on my hitch once, but I saw it prior to leaving and replaced it with a lock I had onboard. I have been told by others that it has happened to them as well.
I also caught a tail light that was about to fall off a tow dolly.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #25

I print out an Excel spreadsheet before each trip and check items off as they are loaded. Not sitting on the counter top, but actually loaded in my motorhome. Haven't forgotten anything on the list. I've had dreams that woke me up that I got to the dunes and forgot soda, beer and gas for my sand rail.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt
X2 on this one. Check/walk around just prior to leaving.
I had someone pull (steal) the safety pin on my hitch once, but I saw it prior to leaving and replaced it with a lock I had onboard....
My great uncle always walks his rig before departure (all men in my family do). Good thing too, he was about to get in truck to leave a tractor show and found that someone removed the hitch insert pin (5/8" one in receiver hitch, not the coupler latch pin). He was pissed knowing it was done out of meanness. Imagine pulling away and dropping your trailer on its tongue jack with show tractor loaded and tongue jack now mangled, from dropping on ground and resulting yank on safety chains forcing jack to fold over the rest of the way! Of course they make these pins in locking version as well.... Always afraid to somehow lose lock keys regardless of cautions taken. Leave spares where you can access them in total lockout or key loss situation.

1996 Ram 3500 Cummins dually highly modified
Bigblue12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #27

My wife put non skid fabric in the cabinets to keep the dishes from walking around during the trip, also put in an extension cord for the electric fry pan, we use it on the outdoor table, and use the other 20 amp circuit the camp ground provides. OH and if you camp in the cooler weather, use an electric heater(1500 watt), saves the gas in your bottles.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #28

It don't hurt to have a spare set of those safety pins, and an extra hitch pin on board.

Tags
newbies