Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #15

Thanks for all the info! I had heard about tires breaking apart and damaging the body but didn't even think about the vibration. Still doing rebuild inside so i have some time to shop around but I definitely won't take it out again until replacing that tire!

Skip426 i don't know how or when. PO didn't mention it and i missed it when looking over everything before purchasing...lesson learned.

FastEagle thanks for that tip, i will check underneath when it's light tomorrow and report back if I find anything
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #16

If your ST tires are over 3 years from the build date at the end of the DOT numbers, you should replace ALL of them anyway, not just that flat-spotted one. One blowout can cause over a thousand dollars damage to a trailer. By the time you see flying rubber in your towing mirror it's too late_damage done.
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So now people are saying a tire is only good for THREE years? Michelin says 10 years max, and begin yearly inspections at five years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #18

Three years on a vehicle as light as a pop-up?

Biggest danger to those STs is how easy it would be to overspeed 'em.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
guys, I realize that driving on the tire even as a spare is not optimal but we are talking "SPARE" here. First of all, I said that he should use it only if he doesn't already have one. Second, a spare is not intended to be used as a long term fix any more than the donuts they put in most cars these days. It should just be used to limp into the next place to have it fixed. I guess if you have extra money laying around, then go ahead, buy a new tire for the spare as well. But the tire must be at least useable as it was working when it came off the trailer to start with.

See, it just seems a lot of people on these RV forums have money to burn. It took all could get just to afford a simple 19 foot used BH trailer. We can't all afford 30 foot trailers with chrome rims, electric awnings,built in 5K generators, three slide outs and 42" flat screen with dedicated satellite service. Not to mention the $75,000 rig to pull it all. It seems like the advice is always the biggest and the best when someone asks for advice. For some of us, money is an issue.
Bruce
You were right the 1st time. The tire is bad and needs to be replaced; however it should never see the road again, not even as a 3rd or 4th spare.

No reputable shop would touch that tire so its a good thing it currently mounted.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So now people are saying a tire is only good for THREE years? Michelin says 10 years max, and begin yearly inspections at five years.
The 3 year estimate is only for ST-special trailer tires, it doesn't apply to auto, LT or HDT tires.ST tires have about half the thread depth of regular LT tires. IMO Because ST tires are subjected to much more stress than other tires they tend to fail quicker, thus the 3 years guideline. Run a search for ST tire failures and you will be surprised. I learned from experience, and now use 14 ply LT tires on my 5er.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
guys, I realize that driving on the tire even as a spare is not optimal but we are talking "SPARE" here. First of all, I said that he should use it only if he doesn't already have one. Second, a spare is not intended to be used as a long term fix any more than the donuts they put in most cars these days. It should just be used to limp into the next place to have it fixed. I guess if you have extra money laying around, then go ahead, buy a new tire for the spare as well. But the tire must be at least useable as it was working when it came off the trailer to start with.

See, it just seems a lot of people on these RV forums have money to burn. It took all could get just to afford a simple 19 foot used BH trailer. We can't all afford 30 foot trailers with chrome rims, electric awnings,built in 5K generators, three slide outs and 42" flat screen with dedicated satellite service. Not to mention the $75,000 rig to pull it all. It seems like the advice is always the biggest and the best when someone asks for advice. For some of us, money is an issue.
Bruce
I agree
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #22

I'd guess the wheel with that tire locked up and dragged for some distance. If all your bearings checked out and the spindles look good, I would consider it was a one-time issue.

ST tires seem prone to early failure, and for the most part if they're 3-5 years old you might want to consider replacing all of them and keeping the best one as your spare. The six year "rule" applies to motorized RVs. (Notice all the weasel words I just used, "seem," "most part," "might want, "consider," "rule," so as to mitigate complaints about my recommendation from others!)
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #23

Having had 9 STs fail on me, none that could have remotely been age related, or road debris related, I figured that it was most likely from overspeeding. They have a 65 mph limit that can be extended to 75 with a 10psi increase over the sidewall max. 5 of the 9 occurred immediately after long interstate road trips where it was possible to go over 65 for long periods of time, and there was no other issue (low air pressure, overloading, curb damage, etc).

Of the 9, 3 belt failures out of 4 tires, at the same time, followed by another 3 out of 4 on the same trailer years later, followed by 2 out of 4 simultaneously on a different trailer.

Next time I need trailer tires I'll buy LTs if the sizes are available (which there are few available in 14 and 15 inch sizes)
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #24

Tire update and details

Update to tire situation. On y'alls advice I have NOT taken it out since. Last thing I want to do is shake apart the work I've done so far or anything else! As esox07 mentioned, no money to burn here so looking for the safest deal while gaining a spare for emergencies. Trying to save much $$ as I can for new floating floor but that's another post.

Tire findings for anyone that might find this information helpful for comparison:
  • ST205/75R15 on a 5 lug trailer rim (Although cheaper, "D" rating is different from (R)adial, recommended for not so frequent trips and should not be mixed)
  • On it now are Walmart Goodyear Marathon trailer tire rubber only for $122 each
  • Matching size but different brand on unmatched rim at local Tractor Supply for $140; rubber only $110
  • Matching size and same rim but different brand on amazon.com $155 free shipping
  • Ebay Buy-It-Now just gets more expensive...
I was driving around today and on a whim swung in to a used tire place. Amazingly they had one and they only wanted $35!! So I took it out in the light and tread is decent and I didn't see any cracking on the side wall so I figured it's better than the flat spot one for now and I'll use it as the spare rubber later. (Hopefully pic of used tire appears below) Then save up for spare on rim. My mom thinks I should get the matching one on amazon.com and it's only $15 more but we'll see when it comes to it. I still have to finish rebuild and first trips will only be 15 minutes away so I still have a little time to shop around.

So next step questions:
1. Anyone swapped rims in the driveway? I have air pump and figure I can pop it on with screwdrivers because it's small. Advice, gotchyas, warnings?
2. Do I need to take it to a shop and get it balanced?

Oh FastEagle, the shackles are secure and nothing looks broken or shifted, thanks for the heads up to check that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	used_tire_sm.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	32930