Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #1

Nitrogen

Does nitrogen in tires help preserve the tires? Is it worth the money?
Max Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #2

http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3157170
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No. And No.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #4

Nitrogen is overrated, it isn't even funny. Is does NOTHING noticeable.

Decreases rolling resistance? nope. Lessens the overall tire weight dramatically? haha, no. Doesn't leak out? no, it'll still leak out. Keeps tires lasting longer? no.

The selling tactics used are that if it's good enough for Aircrafts and F1 cars, then Nitrogen is perfect for on-road use, but this isn't the case. Google "nitrogen is a scam" and have fun reading. They sell it in new cars @ $50 a pop. Funny part was that as the air leaked out (which is common with alloys), they often just replace it with normal air. I've had it in some of my cars, not in others, and there was zero difference.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #5

Normal air is 78% nitrogen anyway.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Continental says:
Quote:
Introduction & Purpose

Nitrogen is being offered as an alternative to air for tire inflation. The purpose of this bulletin is to provide general information about inflating tires with nitrogen.

Tires are designed and built to provide many miles of excellent service but must be maintained properly. The key element of proper tire maintenance is maintaining the recommended tire inflation pressure. The proper tire inflation pressure is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and can be found on the vehicle’s tire placard or in the vehicle owner’s manual. Continental Tire recommends that the consumer check his/her tire inflation pressure at regular intervals of at least once per month and before every long trip or twice per month depending on local regulations, customs, or conditions.

Using Nitrogen in Tires

Nitrogen is an inert (non-flammable) gas – basically, nothing more than dry air with oxygen removed. For example, ambient air contains about 78% nitrogen. Because of nitrogen’s inert properties, it is often used in highly specialized tire service applications and/or demanding environments. These tire service applications usually include aircraft, mining, and commercial/heavy use. Also, nitrogen is used in professional motor racing involving extreme vehicle speeds. We understand that dry nitrogen is used in this regard to help reduce tire pressure variations where even small differences in pressure can affect vehicle handling at the extreme limits of performance.

For normal everyday consumer tire service applications, nitrogen tire inflation is not required. However, nitrogen tire inflation does not harm tires and may marginally contribute to reductions in tire inflation loss by permeation. Nevertheless, nitrogen will not prevent any tire inflation loss caused by punctures, tire/rim interface (bead) leaks, valve leaks, valve/rim interface leaks, wheel leaks, and other mechanical leaks. Again, the use of nitrogen alone does not substitute for the importance of regularly checking tire inflation pressure. If the tire inflation pressure is below the pressure specified on the vehicle placard, the tire must be re-inflated – whether with air or nitrogen – to the proper inflation pressure. Do not operate tires underinflated and/or overloaded (see “Warning”). Whether inflated with air or nitrogen, regular tire inflation pressure maintenance remains critical and necessary. Use of nitrogen alone is not a replacement for regular tire inflation pressure maintenance.

WARNING [!] Underinflation and/or overloading tires will create excessive stresses and heat build up that can lead to tire disablement, such as by a tread-belt separation and/or detachment, causing serious injury or death.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Much discussion on this subject no consenses.. My personal feeling is that it is not worth the cost.

I understand it is used in some special circumstance tires where both very high and very cold temps are common, but I do not think it is worth the cost for road tires.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #8

One day during a weak moment while getting tires rotated on wife's car, I let them put Nitrogen in the tires. I think it cost me about $28.00. Only difference I could tell was the cute little green valve stem caps that show that you have Nitrogen. The car had a TPMS ( tire pressure monitoring system ) that showed the four individual tire pressures, updated every minute or so. I thought maybe the pressure would not fluctuate so much with the temperature but it changed just like regular air. Unless you happen to have a nitrogen tank in your garage, you would always have to go somewhere with nitrogen just to adjust pressure. In simple terms, WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. There is NO reason to bother on normal tires in normal use.
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Another solution to a non-existent problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I use hydrogen, doubles GVW and I get 35 mpg. Didn't work great for the Hindenburg, but I have my fingers crossed

Nitrogen in tires = Snake Oil.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always inflate the motorhome tires with nitrogen when the trip route takes me to above 30,000 ft elevations.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I always inflate the motorhome tires with nitrogen when the trip route takes me to above 30,000 ft elevations.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker
LOL
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Yeah me too it's that RV Park called Heaven's Gate. They don't allow you in with just air in the tires, nitrogen only