Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
You don't need two valve stems to put Nitrogen in a tire, there is a evacuation tool you put on a valve stem to draw the air out, then fill with nitrogen, you ever seen a tire tube sucked flat when you take it out from the box? well thats how they do it they suck the air out to make it smaller to package. Its really not a "marketing ploy it really does work, is it practical? in the RV world probably not, we used it in race cars and still use it in motorcycle tires.

93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, Harley 1994 we are in agreement. It is not complete BS under the right circumstances and applications, but no great advantage in the normal RV application. In certain situations you are taking advantage of everything possible to improve your chances of success. Have certain parts of the industry zeroed in on it to improve the bottom line, absolutely.

My Son-In-Law was picking up his new vehicle last year and while he was there he asked the tech to put in about 2 extra lbs of nitrogen pressure in his tires. The tech said he couldn't do it because it was more than was recommended. JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE WHY WE HAVE TO MANY LAWYERS AROUND THIS COUNTRY. Life used to be much simple and easier before lawyers and the government started telling us how and what to think.

Sad to say !!!!!!!

TeJay

Old 12-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
Nitrogen has benefits in tires used for air craft or race cars. For a vehicle at normal speeds, it serves no practical purpose.It is a profit center for the tire seller.

If it makes you feel better, spend the money on it.It won’t hurt, but remember that it is not as easy to find 100% Nitrogen for bring tires up to pressure.

Normal air contains 78% Nitrogen, so is it worth it for an extra 22%?I think not.

The next time I tow my trailer at 200 MPH or it has the name “Boeing” on it, I will use nitrogen.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Composition of Dry Air
Substance % by volume

Nitrogen, N
2 78.08
Oxygen, O

2 20.95
Argon, Ar 0.93
Carbon dioxide, CO

2 0.033
Neon, Ne 0.0018
Helium, He 0.00052
Methane, CH

4 0.0002
Krypton, Kr 0.00011
Nitrogen(I) oxide, N

2O 0.00005
Hydrogen, H

2 0.00005
Xenon, Xe 0.0000087
Ozone, O
3 0.000001 Ok now that we have all had our science lesson for the day, I was an independant auto/motorcycle repair shop owner for many years until I retired, the tests showed (by an independant tester) that tires have a 1 lb rise or fall with every 10 degs of temp change. In a year long study between air and nitrogen filled tires, the study, nitrogen tires lost an average of 2.2 lbs of air compaired to 3.5 lbs with just air. so with that being said and we are talking RV tires, not airplane or race cars, as long as you are diligent in checking the air in your tires it is not really worth the time and expense. I will run nitrogen in my motorcycle tires because of the lack of corrosion on my 1500.00 dollar custom rims. (My Choice.)

Old 12-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
I don't have anything to add.....although my grandfather used air in his tires, as did my dad. I've used air in my vehicle for 38 years with no ill effect. I think I'll stick with what's worked. My wife's 08 Infinity has a TPMS and it still works after being exposed to air all these years.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Thanks, Harley 1994 we are in agreement. It is not complete BS under the right circumstances and applications, but no great advantage in the normal RV application.
TeJay
The minor advantages to nitrogen tire inflation is probably offset by people then thinking they can neglect proper monitoring of tire pressure. Since it's used in aviation and racing, it gives people a false sense of 'improvement.' Sort of like a spoiler on a Pinto or racing stripes on a Vega. I think it's the definition of marketing, selling something we've been told is better, looks cool, actual improvements be darned, we can charge more for it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hey Bob, Pinto or Vega? are we showing our age I owned both at one time or another . LOL
Old 12-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Hey Bob, Pinto or Vega? are we showing our age I owned both at one time or another . LOL
Yeah, I was thinking back to some folks in high school that thought the mods to their cars would make them go faster and attract girls. I drove a Nash Metropolitan but did no changes to it. Best day with the car was when my buddies lifted the car (with me in it) and carried it in the front doors of the school and 'parked' me in the lobby. The principal came out of his office and did a perfect double take. I said I had nothing to do with it, I had my foot on the brakes the whole time but the wheels were off the ground. He told me to get it out of the lobby. I started it up and then he cautioned me, "You burn rubber and I'll suspend you."

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I love it, we did something like that with an MG Midget, picked it up and put it sideways on the steps going into school, it was the music teachers car. I was the "outlaw" in school had a '48' Indian motorcycle, couple of buddies held the doors open and I rode that thing from one side to the other, and did get suspended.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Back about 1973 or 75 We had a kid do the same thing in a HS where I was was teaching. His only problem was as he exited the school he lost it and broke his collarbone right in front of the Principal as he was walking in. Yep he got caught and suspended. But it was funny.

I think we are off topic but!!!

TeJay
Old 12-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #25

I agree with those that say 'water' caused by humidity in air is a bad thing that will cause corrosion.

Dry air is about as good. Or go the desert where humidity is 3 or 5% and have your tires inflated...
Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
I will run nitrogen in my motorcycle tires because of the lack of corrosion on my 1500.00 dollar custom rims. (My Choice.)

So the inside of the rim looks great... what happens to the outside that is exposed to air? The part you see. How would a little oxidation on the rim inside of the tire really be relevant?

Polished aluminum, or what material is the wheel? Thanks
Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI Costco uses Nitrogen, and will check and fill members tire for free. I just had the Toad checked in Pharr TX. I got to talking to the tech and he had just transferred from Spokane to S, TX Small World.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
TDI, The rims are custom made twisted spoke steel rims, if you get corrosion between the places where the spokes go thru it weakens that area. plus why would you let anything get corroded if you can prevent it? The outside I can clean, and believe me I clean ALOT, if you know any Harley riders, most are very meticulous about their bikes.

Tags
tires